Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 8:38:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl]
The Nikon 180-600 I had been waiting months on arrived,.... used and also broken.   I figured I could live with used/refurbished, but still the page on Amazon I ordered from made it look like it was from the Nikon store.

It arrived and I noticed immediately it was extremely tight to mount on the camera body.   I inspected it and couldn't visibly see any damage or deformation of the mount.
Next AF was extremely slow,  way slower than I would expect from a Nikon Z era lens even if in the budget line.  Though it was definitely transmitting lens data to the camera and I could change the aperture and such.

And then when you press the shutter release..... nothing happens.   I thought the lens mount had been damaged and was torquing something physically on the camera and possibly freaked out a bit.  I removed it and tried my other lenses which worked fine, but I am definitely not putting it back on any camera I own and have already sent it back to amazon for a refund.

TLDR:  Check the amazon page very carefully when you order these days.  Not only are major manufacturers disappearing and being replaced with no-name junk but it seems they will sell used/renewed items with only tiny or no disclosures until you've already ordered it.

Their 30day return is a lifesaver though for sure.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#1]
That’s why I don’t buy anything from Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude - don’t buy anything off there not bought and sold by Amazon.

At minimum look into the seller - pretty easy to see if they are legit. Go to their name, look up their address.

If it’s a real store with a website and obviously legit merch ok. If it’s some unbranded warehouse or something else don’t risk it
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

At minimum look into the seller - pretty easy to see if they are legit. Go to their name, look up their address.

If it’s a real store with a website and obviously legit merch ok. If it’s some unbranded warehouse or something else don’t risk it
View Quote

The problem is it's either in fine print it's a reseller now,... or in this case I would swear it looked direct from the Nikon store on Amazon.  I gave them a shitty review, but I doubt it will ever be approved.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:

The problem is it's either in fine print it's a reseller now,... or in this case I would swear it looked direct from the Nikon store on Amazon.  I gave them a shitty review, but I doubt it will ever be approved.
View Quote
I received a counterfeit ham radio antenna from Amazon and they refused to post the warning I wrote in a review. If I order from them, I'm very careful about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't buy anything involving optics or electronics
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
I received a counterfeit ham radio antenna from Amazon and they refused to post the warning I wrote in a review. If I order from them, I'm very careful about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:

I am definitely moving away from using them from now on.  I dealt with it a while because it was convenient, but their gaming the reviews for no-name resellers and vendors and almost nothing shows up on time anymore.

In the meantime I was gonna rent the 800mm PF for the eclipse since this didn't work, but it's not available so I may be humped.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:38:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GeneralDisaray] [#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GeneralDisaray:

On the product page look Right under the price and add to cart/buy. it should say bought from and ships from.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Amazon is also selling a lot of counterfeit products.  People order items and then return a fake which gets sold as genuine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
On something in that much of a demand, Amazon is one of the last I’d trust. I’m still 2nd on the current wait list at fwc. I cancelled my B&H preorder as they’re just shipping November orders.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I liquidated some crypto (at a loss) and ordered the z mount 600mm f/6.3.    I should have over a week to practice before the eclipse.  Hopefully I don't have to work someplace too far from the umbra and the weather cooperates.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I caught a lens I wanted at a really good price - new for the same I had just purchased used the day before.

I was going to snag one anyway... then I noticed the seller was in India. HowTF did that listing get into the US store?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll stick to Adorama or KEH for used gear, or Nikon refurbs.

And same places for new.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
I'll stick to Adorama or KEH for used gear, or Nikon refurbs.

And same places for new.

View Quote

I do the same for in stock/used gear. If it’s possible to get burned, it’ll happen to me.

Now for the 180-600, I went with Fort Worth Camera. I’m 2nd on their list, probably 130th at B&H.
Top Top