Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a good reminder of what France didn't want to go through again when Hitler was knocking on their door. They were devastated by WW1, and wanted to avoid a repeat at all costs, even if it made them look like cowards who just surrender.

It's also a reminder why a lot of French are interested in a European Union and against nationalism. When your next door neighbor has caused millions of your people to die brutally and destroy a bunch of your stuff, you start thinking that maybe working together under the same union wouldn't be so bad. After WW2 there were several efforts to have joint industries and mining so that no one country could independently create a war machine again.

The US has been fortunate to have oceans separating it from its enemies. Except for Great Britain and Pearl Harbor and WTC, it has never been invaded, never been bombed. We feel very safe, and staying a separate, independent nation make a lot of sense. Other countries don't have the same history or the same perspective.
View Quote
I think the 24 million illegals here and the billions of dollars from the taxpayers funding the death of Americana may qualify as an invasion. Both parties are ignoring this until it affects them personally.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Everyone lost when you really stop and think about it.  About the only thing that was accomplished was the fall of most of the European empires and some borders moved.  Oh, and massive war debt.
View Quote
Mission Accomplished
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can't remember where I heard it or read it but I once heard it described as "that time that the western hemisphere attempted suicide."

Seems about right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will be remembered as the graveyard of Western Civilization.
I can't remember where I heard it or read it but I once heard it described as "that time that the western hemisphere attempted suicide."

Seems about right.
I’ve said that more than once.

The best, strongest, brightest and most patriotic men from the West and the World’s leading nations went to fight a limited war of the kind Europe always fought, and ended up accidentally killing of the cream of its manhood. At the turn of the 20th century the West was approaching its cultural peak- the Upper and middle classes were well educated, entrepreneurial and productive. The working class was becoming educated and was being lifted out of poverty by the late industrial revolution. Scientific and technological progress was being made at speeds unprecidented in human history. The great powers of Western Europe were wealthy, expansionist and expansive, and the US was just starting to hit its stride.

The the Great War happened. The very best were killed and their sons and daughters left unborn, or were shattered by the experience. Those who were left were the very young, the very old and the unfit. Then it happened again, and the very young who had grown suffered like their fathers, and much of the continent destroyed. All that were left were the survivors and the unfit. They carried the modern world and its lack of confidence in the West to us today.

Then the cultural rot set in. A civilisation that had faced two catastrophic  wars and was facing a third that could destroy it completly had had enough. Other, more pernicious philosophies that promised peace, previously resisted, began to look appealing. And here we are. It’s not yet clear if the wounds of WW1 will ever heal, and indeed may yet prove fatal. Worth thinking about.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The best, strongest, brightest and most patriotic men from the West and the World’s leading nations went to fight a limited war of the kind Europe always fought, and ended up accidentally killing of the cream of its manhood. At the turn of the 20th century the West was approaching its cultural peak- the Upper and middle classes were well educated, entrepreneurial and productive. The working class was becoming educated and was being lifted out of poverty by the late industrial revolution. Scientific and technological progress was being made at speeds unprecidented in human history. The great powers of Western Europe were wealthy, expansionist and expansive, and the US was just starting to hit its stride.

The the Great War happened. The very best were killed and their sons and daughters left unborn, or were shattered by the experience. Those who were left were the very young, the very old and the unfit. Then it happened again, and the very young who had grown suffered like their fathers, and much of the continent destroyed. All that were left were the survivors and the unfit. They carried the modern world and its lack of confidence in the West to us today.

Then the cultural rot set in. A civilisation that had faced two catastrophic  wars and was facing a third that could destroy it completly had had enough. Other, more pernicious philosophies that promised peace, previously resisted, began to look appealing. And here we are. It’s not yet clear if the wounds of WW1 will ever heal, and indeed may yet prove fatal. Worth thinking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems about right.

Very well written.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]
They Shall Not Grow Old - Full Length

You’re welcome. Someone posted this in an earlier thread. It aired on television in the UK.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
WWII was larger in scale but WWI battles were more condensed.  There was a single front where your unit marched to die.  Hearing the constant bombardment from miles away while you approach.  The world's blood pump in one centralized location.  Mind numbing.

https://external-preview.redd.it/UiL-TuRSsRP9VPyu7ao0ukP87mjk7sN1A8wznWfdBN0.jpg?width=800&auto=webp&s=148c71ca2023b7dacce982d6c62809d4b9623a81
View Quote
"Verdun the World Blood Pump

to General Petain and his
helpers from all over the world"

Quite the coin
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Dropkick Murphys - The Green Fields of France
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've said that more than once.

The best, strongest, brightest and most patriotic men from the West and the World's leading nations went to fight a limited war of the kind Europe always fought, and ended up accidentally killing of the cream of its manhood. At the turn of the 20th century the West was approaching its cultural peak- the Upper and middle classes were well educated, entrepreneurial and productive. The working class was becoming educated and was being lifted out of poverty by the late industrial revolution. Scientific and technological progress was being made at speeds unprecidented in human history. The great powers of Western Europe were wealthy, expansionist and expansive, and the US was just starting to hit its stride.

Then the cultural rot set in. A civilisation that had faced two catastrophic  wars and was facing a third that could destroy it completly had had enough. Other, more pernicious philosophies that promised peace, previously resisted, began to look appealing. And here we are. It's not yet clear if the wounds of WW1 will ever heal, and indeed may yet prove fatal. Worth thinking about.
View Quote
Wow.  Great post.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems about right.

Well written
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Old school TAG.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast about WWI right now and he just got to Verdun, I literally cannot imagine what it would be like.

MONTHS of being under constant shelling, units suffering 50% causalities before they even get to the front trench, having to jump out of your trench and shelter in a shell hole to take a shit, trenches filled with unburied bodies, rats and lice. If you make it through all of that you get still have to go over the top at some point and run into a rain of machine gun fire. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That seems....imf'npossible.
Note, Im not calling your post into question.  More of almost impossible to comprehend and wrap my brain around those figures.  Truly Hell on earth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
came to post that coin.
I've seen first hand what a few arty rounds here and there can do to scattered people.
The thoughts of WW1 arty vs infantry battles is bone chilling.
Between 40 and 60 million artillery shells were fired at Verdun.
Totally mind-boggling.
That seems....imf'npossible.
Note, Im not calling your post into question.  More of almost impossible to comprehend and wrap my brain around those figures.  Truly Hell on earth.
Indeed.  A lot of people don't realize that the battle lasted 10 months.  Most think of a battle as being a day or maybe a week.
Verdun was was a series of long-drawn-out counter-offenses with the same land changing hands several times.

Even so, that's 130K to 200K shells fired every day.  Every. Single. Day.  For 10 months.
That war was insanity and truly Hell on Earth.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
WOW, I have never really though of it in that light. It makes total sense though. Great post!
Imagine how many great minds we lost in both World wars and how far along we could/would be had we continued to advance technologically at the speed of of the early 21st century.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've said that more than once.

The best, strongest, brightest and most patriotic men from the West and the World's leading nations went to fight a limited war of the kind Europe always fought, and ended up accidentally killing of the cream of its manhood. At the turn of the 20th century the West was approaching its cultural peak- the Upper and middle classes were well educated, entrepreneurial and productive. The working class was becoming educated and was being lifted out of poverty by the late industrial revolution. Scientific and technological progress was being made at speeds unprecidented in human history. The great powers of Western Europe were wealthy, expansionist and expansive, and the US was just starting to hit its stride.

Then the cultural rot set in. A civilisation that had faced two catastrophic  wars and was facing a third that could destroy it completly had had enough. Other, more pernicious philosophies that promised peace, previously resisted, began to look appealing. And here we are. It's not yet clear if the wounds of WW1 will ever heal, and indeed may yet prove fatal. Worth thinking about.
View Quote
Best post I've read in a while.

(And not just the American flag.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can not image a single worse kind of topography for that kind of warfare! Mix in arty. I don't think we have anyone still alive today that can imagine that. I have to agree with other posters here...WW1 was humanity's brutality on full display.
View Quote
That topography was made by arty.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great post, well said and on point. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably would have been a good idea for France not to declare war on Germany then.
View Quote
Yah, it was clearly a better idea to wait until Hitler finished taking all the land he wanted in Eastern Europe and the let him declare war.  Say what you will about the French inter-war governments, they were under no illusions that Germany wasn't going to try for payback.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WOW, I have never really though of it in that light. It makes total sense though. Great post!
Imagine how many great minds we lost in both World wars and how far along we could/would be had we continued to advance technologically at the speed of of the early 21st century.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of people attribute the end of the depression to WW2.  This post shows the opportunity cost between those two wars was so much higher.  Mankind was diverted down a dark path with WW1. It has no intention of looking back.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast about WWI right now and he just got to Verdun, I literally cannot imagine what it would be like.

MONTHS of being under constant shelling, units suffering 50% causalities before they even get to the front trench, having to jump out of your trench and shelter in a shell hole to take a shit, trenches filled with unburied bodies, rats and lice. If you make it through all of that you get still have to go over the top at some point and run into a rain of machine gun fire. Fuck that.
View Quote
This podcast is something every person in this thread should make time for.  It's compelling and sets the stage for most of the history that led up to and followed ww1.  Even now, in the light of the deployment of 2 single stage nuclear weapons in modern cities the single day / month casualty numbers from ww1 are staggering.  The somme is just on par with a 20kt weapon over a city.  In one day.

Western civilization the engine that supports the modern age of enlightenment is fragile.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lots of people attribute the end of the depression to WW2.  This post shows the opportunity cost between those two wars was so much higher.  Mankind was diverted down a dark path with WW1. It has no intention of looking back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One can argue mankind was broken of that habit temporarily by men who second order victims of ww1.  The men who built the bomb all cut their teeth during that age.  WW2 was horrific but chem / bio was off the table.

1945 marks a steep drop in the willingness of people to fight truly open war.  The cost is unbearable now.  Sadly history has us all overdue for a correction.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Horrible.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#23]
All over "Some damned thing in the balkans."
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And caused WW2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking back, of all the wars that immediately come to mind W.W.I seems the most pointless.  
And caused WW2
Both of these. And also set the stage for mid east problems.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Twentieth century weapons and basically nineteenth or even eighteenth century tactics.  Slaughter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Arsenic... lots of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#28]
A brutal affair.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can not image a single worse kind of topography for that kind of warfare! Mix in arty. I don't think we have anyone still alive today that can imagine that. I have to agree with other posters here...WW1 was humanity's brutality on full display.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just to be clear, you know it started out flat, right?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This podcast is something every person in this thread should make time for.  It's compelling and sets the stage for most of the history that led up to and followed ww1.  Even now, in the light of the deployment of 2 single stage nuclear weapons in modern cities the single day / month casualty numbers from ww1 are staggering.  The somme is just on par with a 20kt weapon over a city.  In one day.

Western civilization the engine that supports the modern age of enlightenment is fragile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't take it as gospel though. He gets a lot wrong, especially in the pre-war diplomatic stuff. The popular view is once the ultimatum was issued war was a done deal, but Germany and Russia were not automatically pulled into the war, despite what he says. Germany actually fought in the diplomatic arena to get AH to knock it off before it did get out of hand and Russia had enough problems at home to not want to get involved in the Balkans in 1914, especially considering the Balkans had just fought a pretty bloody war amongst themselves in 1912-13.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems about right.

Makes you think. Wow.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All over "Some damned thing in the balkans."
View Quote
Bismark had a greater understanding of the late 1800s European power structures and alliances than anyone that ever lived, probably because he did most of the work to arrange them
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Don't take it as gospel though. He gets a lot wrong, especially in the pre-war diplomatic stuff. The popular view is once the ultimatum was issued war was a done deal, but Germany and Russia were not automatically pulled into the war, despite what he says. Germany actually fought in the diplomatic arena to get AH to knock it off before it did get out of hand and Russia had enough problems at home to not want to get involved in the Balkans in 1914, especially considering the Balkans had just fought a pretty bloody war amongst themselves in 1912-13.
View Quote
Thanks for the insight.  There is a shit ton written on the topic, you have any good books that are accurate but not horribly dry?
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks for the insight.  There is a shit ton written on the topic, you have any good books that are accurate but not horribly dry?
View Quote
Start with John Keegan's The First World War. It's a good general history of the war. It's probably at your local library if you want to save a few bucks.

ADDED: One of the very best courses I took in grad school was on WW1. I'll have to dig through the box with my notes and texts to come up with a few others that are more topic specific.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
If from no other perspective than the genes that were lost forever.

By and large, the only European men that survived to the late 1940's were the pussies - hence the Europe of today.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out The Great War channel on YouTube.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#38]
damn, I can't imagine
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here you go @texduramax . . . several showings in Texas . . .

Show dates/times in Texas
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth a hot link.  I hope it comes to D/FW

They Shall Not Grow Old Trailer
Here you go @texduramax . . . several showings in Texas . . .

Show dates/times in Texas
Thank you for that! Showing down the street so will be going to see this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mission Accomplished
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone lost when you really stop and think about it.  About the only thing that was accomplished was the fall of most of the European empires and some borders moved.  Oh, and massive war debt.
Mission Accomplished
The central banking cartel made a shit ton of money.. on to the next war!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Take a look at that pic and remember that they had a dud rate up to %30.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just to be clear, you know it started out flat, right?
View Quote
Oh yes...the flatness lasted what? 5 minutes into the battle?
The picture of the spent artillery shells really brings it home!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dien Bien Phu was in 1954
View Quote
Yeah, that guy is so stupid saying 40 years later when real smart guys like us know it was actually 38 years later.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#46]
If you were the creator of battlefield V.

“This footage is discounting the contributions of minorities and women in WW1. These people are totally uneducated.”
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#47]
We should be more progressive like  Europe.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Start with John Keegan's The First World War. It's a good general history of the war. It's probably at your local library if you want to save a few bucks.

ADDED: One of the very best courses I took in grad school was on WW1. I'll have to dig through the box with my notes and texts to come up with a few others that are more topic specific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  I got into it with the Carlin podcast and as a ww2 buff.  I never had it taught or explained in an interesting way.  If I can rack up the air miles I hope to get back to france and visit some of the battlefields.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started it last month.  Wish I would have started in 2014.  I'm about 20% into it, including all the extra features (who's who, weapons, Q&A, etc.)

Really enjoy it, and with each episode being about 10 minutes, I can squeeze them in almost anytime.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top