Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a load of garden soil one day to fill some 8’x8’x 12” planters.  It pretty much maxxed out my long bed GMC 2500 HD.  Lotta work shoveling it out.  Think it was 3 yards.  I’m already at avg. life expectancy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Throw your back out and your in for a much more expensive time
View Quote

This. A few hundred dollars spent is well worth it. Even better, hire somebody to do it. In my experience there's plenty of guys out there with equipment that love these small jobs. Often is basically the same price you'd pay for a rental but you get a guy who knows the machine and does the work for you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d try another source on the mini skid steer. Local place around here has one $140/4 hours, $195/day.

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh. I did 9 tons.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Look on face book marketplace.  I bet there is somebody like me that will bring his small tractor for a couple hundred and move it all for you in an hour.

I got called to a job where the family was trying to move 2 truck loads by hand. In under 2 hours I had it moved, spread on the driveway, and headed the driveway before spreading.

They were so exhausted and happy they paid me 300 when I was only charging 130.

Funny thing was they were so close to my house I drove the tractor rather than bothering with a trailer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My wife did it - shovel and wheel barrel. Driveway is about 175 feet long. Of course, her mom helped her a little one afternoon. I think you’ll be just fine!
View Quote

You da man!
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am working on a shed base and they dont "leave the pavement" when they deliver it. It's about 75 feet from my driveway to the shed location. It will be 100 trips assuming I put 200lbs of pea gravel in my wheel barrow. I have no idea how much 200lbs of gravel actually is in a wheel barrow, or how that will feel lifting it up. As long as I can get it done in a weekend it seems doable.

A mini skid steer would be $400 for a day. But I would rather put that $400 towards equipment for the shed.
View Quote

200 lb wheel barrows times 100?  The damage to your back could well exceed $400.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That's almost 7 yards. I shoveled 1 1/2 yards of gravel today from my truck bed(3 skid steer buckets) and carried it in 5 gal buckets. It took a few hours.

Shoveling from the pavement and carrying in a wheelbarrow would speed things up though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
free exercise, do it! but you are not getting over 100lb in a wheel barrow per trip.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd think crushed stone would be a much better base then pea gravel.
But I do hvac so I'm probably completely wrong
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

excellent question. I bought these permeable pavers that you need to fill with sub 1/2" aggregate. So my plan was to tamp the dirt, put down pea gravel, tamp the pea gravel, put down the permeable pavers, fill them with pea gravel, then tamp again.
I'd think crushed stone would be a much better base then pea gravel.
But I do hvac so I'm probably completely wrong

You are more right than the OP.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
You need to rent something to move that gravel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I’d just consider it a workout and do it manually.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
No but I bet you sleep well the next few days. ;-)
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Y’all’s mud is mud, mud. Turns into concrete when it dries. You got a lot of rocks too.

The clay up here is just clay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d love to see some of these people who just say get a trucking company that will dump it where ever, start paying tow bills.

None of my trucks leave pavement or hard pack gravel. The end.

Wow. Its quite different out east then.

Going on dirt isn't even thought of around here. I hauled fuel for two years. Whether it was on dirt or not was never something I recall being discussed. During muddy season whether it was doable with the muddy or whether chains would be needed was considered. But even then we generally did it.

We were on dirt a lot.

Clay my man. Even right now, you roll a 64,000lb truck into someone’s yard, you’re calling a landscaper at a minimum. If not calling a hook.

Only safe months are July and august - maybe early September, assuming it’s dry.

I had a 6x6 fuel truck for a while for pad sites and directional drilling.  All we did was cause $45,000 in damage to the tow truck. Blew out both main lift cylinders and snapped the cable in half when the cylinders failed, also bent one of his out riggers.

There is no choice out here. Too rural, too much empty space, not developed and populated like out east.

Lots of oilfield, ranching, construction, etc. You're going to be on dirt if you want to delivery anything.

I've been stuck before. Just the way it is. I never saw them call a tow. We'd send in another truck and a couple guys would work together with a chain, shovels, etc and eventually get it out. Not saying it always worked but in two years never knew of them calling a tow.

Y’all’s mud is mud, mud. Turns into concrete when it dries. You got a lot of rocks too.

The clay up here is just clay.

We have bentonite in some areas which is just nasty when wet. But not most areas thankfully.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Your crazy spend the money . And Pea Gravel will NOT compact . You want crushed stone for the base .
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you going uphill?

I do that kinda stuff for the exercise, the money saved is a bonus.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I moved 16 yards of 3/4" gravel with a shovel and wheel barrow.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As a poor, a DIYer and someone who like to challenge themself I would do it by hand.
View Quote
I'm a poor DIYer too but I don't like to torture myself.  Or go to home depot and see if there are any "contractors" for hire
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]
But why

Just rent something and get it done in a few hours while drinking a beer operating said something

Even better, put on some headphones blaring some EDM and then make it happen captain
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Mexicans.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Pay the $400. Your back and future self will thank you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Your joints are going to feel like they’re made from stone and your muscles like they’re made from fire for about a week after.

I would do it, but I’m young and stupid
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Pea gravel is not a suitable sub base
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am working on a shed base and they dont "leave the pavement" when they deliver it. It's about 75 feet from my driveway to the shed location. It will be 100 trips assuming I put 200lbs of pea gravel in my wheel barrow. I have no idea how much 200lbs of gravel actually is in a wheel barrow, or how that will feel lifting it up. As long as I can get it done in a weekend it seems doable.

A mini skid steer would be $400 for a day. But I would rather put that $400 towards equipment for the shed.
View Quote
I have moved a lot of that over the years with a wheelbarrow. A almost full wheelbarrow should  be close to 400 lbs. So instead of a 100 trips I would think it would be closer to 50.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Put a truck hood with a chain welded to it face down on the grass, shovel on the gravel and tow it to the site in several loads with your vehicle
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
free exercise, do it! but you are not getting over 100lb in a wheel barrow per trip.
View Quote

I don't think he will be using a toy wheelbarrow. I load 8 50 lbs bags of concrete at a time in my wheelbarrow from the truck to the mixer when I am doing concrete work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]
100% rent the dingo
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you have a riding lawn mower?  Buy a Gorilla dump cart from Lowes and hook it to your mower.  Wife and i moved 40 tons of dirt and 100 tons of rip rap with ours this summer.  We were repairing damage to our yard and sea wall from hurricane Sally.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Rent a machine for that job. At the very least, use a garden tractor and a cart that will hold more than 200 pounds at a time.

Pea gravel is not what you should use. You want rock that will compact.

I think you might be in over your head.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#32]
We did that 20 years ago I was much younger and there were 3 of us but it took months to lay out 150 tons of 1/4- madison gold.  I would rent equipment and save your back and knees. $400 is a drop in the bucket compared to what you can do with the time saved, you could do something else after you get done. You'll be burned out.

I hate pea gravel that is hard to walk on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Recently I moved a yard (which is about 3,000lbs) of crushed stone, about that same distance in a few hours. Had to shovel it out of a bag (delivered on a pallet), into a wheel barrow, and dump it. I was sore as fuck afterwards for two days but I'm not exactly in great shape.

A few days later I moved almost a yard, so about 2,000lbs of sand a little further for my kid's sandbox I built.

About a week after that I moved another yard of crushed stone all the way to the back of my yard for a shed base as well, but due to the price of lumber I wasn't building right away so I put it into an empty sack on a pallet. This meant having to shovel out the stone and into the sack after the first couple trips where I could dump it. Almost like moving it twice.

The sand and second yard of gravel didn't hurt me anywhere near as much as the first yard did. Shoveling sand is much easier than crushed stone.

I would fill up the wheelbarrow almost all the way, so it had to be well over 200lbs and closer to 300lbs. It was a 6cu.ft. type with pneumatic tire, those roll more easily than the flat free style. I also moved a yard of river rock a while before all of the above. Moved about 2 yard of dirt from the front yard to the back in preparation for the synthetic turf guys before that too.

What's the point of all that? To say you should rent a machine or someone with a machine, or try tipping the driver to dump it where you need it. I did what I did due to the layout of my property and the difficulty of getting even a small skid steer in there, plus I don't know how to operate one. More so I did it to save money but the long term damage to my body will manifest itself later.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
spend the $400.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#35]
We moved 25T of 3/4" granite by hand. 4 guys 3 wheelbarrows 8 hours. I would want to do it again.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Order road base from a company that will take three extra minutes to dump at the end of your drive where you want it. Rent a jumping Jack to compact it.  Pea gravel is the wrong substrate for a shed foundation. It’s great for drainage, but terrible to support weight.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My thoughts. Maybe even $100.
View Quote

Most of the time it isn't the driver not wanting to do it, it is company policy. Go off pavement, ruin the guys lawn and he calls your company after you leave and demands the company pay to fix it. Company pays the homeowner then the driver gets suspended for breaking company policy. Not worth it, there are companies that will do it, but it will cost with the extra liability, OP might have just cheaped out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#38]
That's a lot of rock to moved that way.  My Neighbor had a 1/2 truckload dropped in the street, had 2 sons helping him, and moving it by wheelbarrow they were still dealing with it 2 weekends later.  They weren't going as far as you are.

Granted, I'm older and creakier than I used to be, but I dug out a 4x4 fencepost yesterday in 2 hours, and My shoulders aren't happy about it this morning.  Doing another one today....I might hire having this pulled after I get down to where they can get a chain on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Find some other work for the skid steer to do while it's at your house and make the rental worth the money.

Work smarter not harder.

All the time you waste saving a couple hundred dollars could be used accomplishing other tasks.

I've got 35 years as a concrete guy with more hours on a wheelbarrow than most guys will do in a lifetime.

Pea rock is not a good base. Class 5, recycled concrete, crushed rock, not pea rock.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Didn't read all the posts, so likely already covered, but just in case.

Pea gravel is for drainage, not structural base.  It is too round and therefore will not lock together to form a decent base.

You want aggregate specifically designed for compaction if you are using this for a base for the shed.  Aggregate with a mixture of various sized stone with rough edges, including fines.  This type of aggregate will lock together to form a stable base.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've done it here in June.  Actually did 20 tons but over 2 days.  It sucked but wasn't that bad.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Anything that’s measured by the ton should be moved with equipment or slaves..

I’d call another company who isn’t afraid to drive on your grass..
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm at the age where my goal is always to work smarter, not harder.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#44]
What is that, about 3 yards?  I did what you describe earlier this summer and it wasn't an issue.  Took me maybe 4 hours.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like Manuel labor
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I'd move it by hand. If you have some old shitty plywood, lay it on the ground and have them dump it on top of that. It will make shoveling it easier. Nice to see someone not afraid of some hard work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I just did some stone moving myself. I moved 4 tons in a couple hours. 35 scoops per wheel barrel and 30 wheel barrels full. It was not fun. I figure I’ve got another 15-20 to go.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#48]
I moved over 15,000 lbs of dirt by hand last year in one day. When they dug my pool the bastards left way too much dirt back there. No way to get any machine back where it was. It was a lot of work, but not terrible. I had about 250 feet in between where I was shoveling to the dump trailer I had.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#49]
My parents had to put new gravel on their driveway. Growing up we used to get big piles delivered and spread it with shovels, rakes, and wheel barrows. Eff that.

Last time they had our neighbor come over with his fancy new conveyor belt truck. He delivered and spread it out in like 20 minutes.

For reference:
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Which is why I'd get a stone slinger and never call you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd love to see some of these people who just say get a trucking company that will dump it where ever, start paying tow bills.

None of my trucks leave pavement or hard pack gravel. The end.

Which is why I'd get a stone slinger and never call you.
Never heard of a stone slinger dump truck before so I Googled it...was hoping to see a catapult or trebuchet mounted on the rear of the truck, was disappointed to see it's just a conveyor belt.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top