Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2022 12:06:02 AM EDT
BLUF: Am I looking at legal complications if I follow through with an EE deal?

I've got a rifle listed. Another guy PMs me a trade offer. After some back and forth information exchange, we reach a deal and agree that it's a deal.

Then he tells me that he's planning to gift the rifle to a friend, presumably after he picks it up from his FFL.

I honestly don't know whether private transfers are legal in his state, or whether he's still considered the actual purchaser as far as the question on the 4473 is concerned. It looks like the intended recipient is an adult and I have nothing to indicate that anybody involved is prohibited.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel like you’re covered with this -

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm... Well honestly that is between him and his ffl when he fills out his form 4473. You are not the responsible party if you transfer it to a FFL.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
you send it to an FFL, after that I wouldn't be concerned either way
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm... Well honestly that is between him and his ffl when he fills out his form 4473. You are not the responsible party if you transfer it to a FFL.
View Quote

This…also Giving a firearm as a legitimate gift is not considered a straw purchase.  And example would be a father purchasing a firearm to be given it to his adult child.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Legitimate gifts of firearms are not forbidden and are not considered straw purchases. I don't see anything that would cause concern.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Once you transfer the rifle to an FFL, he takes possession and logs it in, he takes control.  When he transfers it to another person, it’s up to him to use discretion.  It’s no longer your concern.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The instructions for Question 21.a on the 4473 say:

Question 21.a. Actual Transferee/Buyer:

For purposes of this form, a person is the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is purchasing the firearm for him/herself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for him/herself. (e.g., redeeming the firearm from pawn, retrieving it from consignment, firearm raffle winner). A person is also the actual transferee/buyer if he/she is legitimately purchasing the firearm as a bona fide gift for a third party. A gift is not bona fide if another person offered or gave the person completing this form money, service(s), or item(s) of value to acquire the firearm for him/her, or if the other person is prohibited by law from receiving or possessing the firearm.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top