Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2018 11:57:47 AM EDT
I've posted here before about my wife's problems with getting a non-painful breast exam. Here's a link to a new technology we've discovered. In a SoftVue exam, instead of squeezing the breast, it is submerged in a pool of water, then ultrasound technology is used.

Be healthy (and pain-free)!

News article.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a dumbass
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The link says it’s not for screening. The other article isn’t about breast exams.

Are squeeze exams really that painful? Mine hurt like crazy while they were growing, but now you can crush them all you like.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
@cosmogony

Check where you’re posting and edit your post.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The link says it’s not for screening. The other article isn’t about breast exams.

Are squeeze exams really that painful? Mine hurt like crazy while they were growing, but now you can crush them all you like.
View Quote
Sorry about the second link, I thought it was about the SoftVue breast exam technique.
SoftView is currently under testing; while not currently for screening, it does offer an alternative to the current mammogram technology.

And BeS: My wife has rather large breasts, and the last time she had a mammogram, both breasts were black from bruising! (Most women I've spoken to about a mammogram say that they'd love to see a man put his testicles in that machine. It'd be the only way to improve the technology.)

Wife says they try to mash the breast pancake-thin, and is VERY painful, both during and after the event.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Herself refers to it as Annual Boob Smashing.    Family history pretty much demands it be done.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Herself refers to it as Annual Boob Smashing.    Family history pretty much demands it be done.
View Quote
Wife says that an ultrasound costs no more than a mammogram. And it's more likely to catch something, with fewer false positives.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Problem is US and mammos dont' "see" the same problems, or the same resolution.   Mammos are also rather difficult to interpret, particularly with dense (not big) breast tissue.

There's a reason MRIs are recommended under certain circumstances for screening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top