Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2020 1:08:51 AM EDT
Allison Jones Rushing

Rushing held three clerkships with three conservative judicial luminaries:
1.  Judge David Sentille on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, a Reagan appointee who is now the presiding judge of the U.S. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance (FISA) Court

2.  Judge Neil Gorsuch on the 10th Circut, who was later appointed by Trump to the Supreme Court

3. Justice Clarence Thomas on the Supreme Court.

Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Incumbent
Assumed office
March 21, 2019
Appointed byDonald Trump
Preceded byAllyson Kay Duncan
Personal details
BornAllison Blair Jones

1982 (age 37–38)
Hendersonville, North Carolina, U.S.
Spouse(s)Blake Rushing
?
(m. 2016)?
EducationWake Forest University (BA)
Duke University (JD)

Allison Blair Jones Rushing (born 1982)[1] is an American attorney and jurist serving as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. She was nominated for the position by President Donald Trump in August 2018 and confirmed by the Senate in March 2019.
Contents

1 Early life and career
   2 Career
   2.1 Federal judicial service
   3 See also
   4 References
   5 Selected publications
   6 External links

Early life and career

Born in Hendersonville, North Carolina, Rushing graduated from East Henderson High School in East Flat Rock, North Carolina.[2] Rushing graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Wake Forest University in 2004 with a Bachelor of Arts in music. She then earned her Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, from the Duke University School of Law in 2007, where she served as executive editor of the Duke Law Journal.[3][4]

In 2005, Rushing was a law student intern at the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), a conservative Christian nonprofit organization.[5][6] Rushing wrote at least three amicus briefs supporting the ADF's positions, co-wrote a legal brief on religious liberties with an ADF attorney, and spoke at ADF events at least once per year from 2012 to 2017.[6]
Career

After graduation, Rushing clerked for then-Judge Neil Gorsuch, of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, from 2007 to 2008, and Judge David B. Sentelle of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit from 2008 to 2009.[7]

From 2009 to 2010, Rushing was an associate at Williams & Connolly. Rushing clerked for Associate Justice Clarence Thomas of the Supreme Court of the United States during the 2010–2011 term.[9][10][11]

In 2011, Rushing rejoined Williams & Connolly in the Washington, D.C. office under Kannon Shanmugam, and in January 2017 was named a partner. She left Williams & Connolly after being appointed to the Fourth Circuit.[12][13][14]

Rushing has been a member of the Federalist Society since 2012.[1]
Federal judicial service

On August 27, 2018, President Donald Trump announced his intent to nominate Rushing to serve as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.[13][15] Her official nomination was received on the same day by the United States Senate.[16] She was nominated to the seat being vacated by Allyson Kay Duncan, who previously announced her intention to take senior status upon the confirmation of her successor. On October 17, 2018, a hearing on her nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee.[17]

During Rushing's confirmation proceedings, she was questioned about her ties to the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), a conservative Christian group that she had interned for as a law student. ADF has been criticized for opposing LGBT rights. Rushing was asked if she would recuse herself from ADF-related cases if confirmed. She replied: "I would determine the appropriate action with the input of the parties, consultation of these rules and ethical canons, and consultation with my colleagues."[6] Asked about ADF being labeled a "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center, Rushing said: "Hate is wrong, and it should have no place in our society. In my experience with ADF, I have not witnessed anyone expressing or advocating hate."[6]

On January 3, 2019, her nomination was returned to the President under Rule XXXI, Paragraph 6 of the United States Senate. On January 23, 2019, President Trump announced his intent to renominate Rushing for a federal judgeship.[18] Her nomination was sent to the Senate later that day.[19] On February 7, 2019, her nomination was reported out of committee by a 12–10, party line vote.[20] On March 4, 2019, the Senate invoked cloture on her nomination by a vote of 52–43.[21] On March 5, 2019, the Senate voted to confirm Rushing by a 53–44 vote.[22] She received her judicial commission on March 21, 2019.

On September 9, 2020, President Trump named Rushing as a potential choice to fill a Supreme Court vacancy if one should open.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/who-is-allison-jones-rushing-possible-trump-supreme-court-contender

The Democrats hate her...not one vote from their side:

The 38-year-old Rushing was confirmed to her seat on the appeals court in March of 2019 on a 53-44 party-line vote.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#1]
What's her judicial record?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Of the women, she is my pick.

First, I would like to see an evangelical on the court.  I just don't trust most Catholics on the court anymore.  

A pastor friend that is friends with her family tells me she is pro-gun and pro-life.

ETA

William Pryor has been my pick since the beginning.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]
It will be EPIC. Doesn’t matter who he picks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't want to see anyone who puts religion over the Constitution.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#5]
My first thought was "damn - she is young".  

Not saying that's an automatic disqualifier but it does make me wonder if it could be a case of too high too fast.

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Not guilty

Oh, wait. Not one of those threads?

Yea sure. I’m just in it for the entertainment value, since I don’t really give a shit about abortion, and nobody’s actually going to stop the mass surveillance or let me have an unregistered machine gun.

Would love the left getting all bent out of shape from her potentially being on the court for 40+ years as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not guilty

Yea sure. I’m just in it for the entertainment value, since I don’t really give a shit about abortion, and nobody’s actually going to stop the mass surveillance or let me have an unregistered machine gun.

Would love the left getting all bent out of shape from her potentially being on the court for 40+ years as well.
View Quote

No they aren't likely to do that but the right one might possibly be the difference between striking down mag bans/awb preventing the end game of the left disarming us, and the real possibility if confirmed in time they could decide the election if contested.

No small things.

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not saying that's an automatic disqualifier but it does make me wonder if it could be a case of too high too fast.

View Quote

She could be a reliable conservative vote on the SC for the next half a century.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It will be EPIC. Doesn’t matter who he picks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Kinda trippy to see someone my age being considered for the court.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

She could be a reliable conservative vote on the SC for the next half a century.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know nothing about her, but I'd much rather have a young staunchly conservative constitutionalist than a boomer populist.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Clerked under the head of the FISA court? I'm sure Trump will be hot to nominate her.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Clerked under the head of the FISA court? I'm sure Trump will be hot to nominate her.
View Quote
That was going to be my question. Was this in 2016-2017 or was she and her boss part of a recent shakeup in response to FISA abuse?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]
38? Perfect. Get a conservative on there for almost 50 years? Fuck ya.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate to break the news to you but the Constitution is based on religion. Have you read it?

So is the Declaration of Independence which is a basic outline of the Constitution.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kinda trippy to see someone my age being considered for the court.
View Quote
i know right? we're getting old.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I hate to break the news to you but the Constitution is based on religion. Have you read it?

So is the Declaration of Independence which is a basic outline of the Constitution.
View Quote

yeah i love how folks think the constitution is so secular and it trumps religion...it is based on christian values. without christian frame of reference its tenets dont even make any sense...which is why commies hate it and try to change it at every turn.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might want to re-acquaint yourself with American history there, Zippy.  The two go hand-in-hand.

“We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. ... Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.”

John Adams.

And then, of course, you have that whole "endowed by their Creator" thing in the Declaration.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not guilty

View Quote

I hope we don't degenerate into a MILF thread.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First, I would like to see an evangelical on the court.
View Quote

"No thanks!"

I don't care if someone is religious, but I don't want that to be their defining characteristic, because they will probably not be able to resist imposing those beliefs on those of us who don't share them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Young with a healthy set of teeth

Promote her
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/G5neabZ5pVQ/hqdefault.jpg

"No thanks!"

I don't care if someone is religious, but I don't want that to be their defining characteristic, because they will probably not be able to resist imposing those beliefs on those of us who don't share them.
View Quote

That is where you are wrong, true Christians never try to impose our beliefs on someone else. We believe everyone has a right to make their own choices in life and in choosing whether or not they want God in their life. It is the left that is constantly trying to take away your rights when they disagree with your choices.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is where you are wrong, true Christians never try to impose our beliefs on someone else. We believe everyone has a right to make their own choices in life and in choosing whether or not they want God in their life. It is the left that is constantly trying to take away your rights when they disagree with your choices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"No thanks!"

Lol!
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"No thanks!"

Then why are there blue laws?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"No thanks!"

Because you don't have the freedom to do what you want, when you want, where you want.  It's for the Children dam it!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#26]
It doesn't matter.  Once the Democrats get control of the government either this election or next, they will pack the court and add DC and PR as states.  You will probably never see another conservative court.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
38? Perfect. Get a conservative on there for almost 50 years? Fuck ya.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top