Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2023 5:57:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoSightPicture]
My new doggie started scratching and itching and acting up a bit lately so got an allergy test up front rather than have him suffer.

He’s basically allergic to everything.

I don’t even know what the future holds for this young man but for now the vet got me a bag of Purina HA Hydrolyzed chicken flavor for food until I can figure this out…

Has anyone else dealt with this before? Is there anyway to reverse allergies in dogs? Any food suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 6:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TODD-67] [#1]
There is a hills product made from rabbits that is devoid of almost all allergens but it is expensive.

I had really good luck with gluten free foods like the ones from blue Buffalo for my male Rottweiler when he was alive. It knocked his skin issues out. He was on steroids and all kinds of stuff to settle his issues down before that. Now we make our dogs food fresh.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Would be interesting to see a control or an average result. Your pooch seems to be allergic to mites big time, and to beef and similar meats.

I'm not a vet but reading the legend on the last page makes it look as if he is mildly allergic to lots of stuff. Maybe a drug regimen can help him out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
There is a hills product made from rabbits that is devoid of almost all allergens but it is expensive.

I had really good luck with gluten free foods like the ones from blue Buffalo for my male Rottweiler when he was alive. It knocked his skin issues out. He was on steroids and all kinds of stuff to settle his issues down before that. Now we make our dogs food fresh.
View Quote

I had started making him food with rice, chicken, peas, carrots, spinach, apples. He likes it a lot but seemed to start scraching a lot. I have him running 1 to 2 times a day so he needs the food to support it. It looks like pork is the lowest aggravating meat and may need to try that.

Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
Would be interesting to see a control or an average result. Your pooch seems to be allergic to mites big time, and to beef and similar meats.

I'm not a vet but reading the legend on the last page makes it look as if he is mildly allergic to lots of stuff. Maybe a drug regimen can help him out.
View Quote

I may need to look into one of those monthly shots and see what I can feed him and still keep him symptom free.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
"Those monthly shots" are usually to one or 2 things, max.

22 allergies?  Time to move, or doggy claritin, or something.  I doubt shots are the answer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you are now the vets duly elected boat payment provider.

I tend to get a little questioning when life itself is the supposed killer for a dog.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Take the cull back to the breeder and get your money back.

There are millions of other dogs out there, no need to waste money on a reject.

Sorry to be blunt, but it needed saying.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#7]
The last two posts are great examples why you should be discussing this with your vet and not members of a firearm forum.  

Allergies are a pain but many dogs will have similar results which is far from a death sentence.  Allergies are certainly frustrating but can be managed (although costly).  You made a commitment to this animal and you're headed down the right track for improvement.  Typically serum (blood) allergy testing for food allergies is negligible and going with a formulated diet for food allergies (royal canin ultamino, science diet Z/D to name a couple) should certainly help!

Your vet is there to help you; trust them and build that relationship to better your pet.

Godspeed

Megatarsal DVM

@NoSightPicture
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#8]
It will take a bit of effort and care, but im not seeing anything that can't be managed or maybe even grown out of if you are lucky.

Talk to more than one vet about the results to hedge against the risk of being taken advantage of; but in the end a good vet probably can give you some options at varying price points.

Jebus, based off some of the responses im seeing in here you would swear that allergies were a death sentence or a warcrime and all vets were out to get you.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, one of my boston terriers is allergic to literally everything. Her number one allergy is humans which is crazy. We got her the same panel testing when she was 2 or 3 years old. She is 13 1/2 now and gets a shot of cytopoint maybe every six months or so depending upon if her allergies flare up. She has been on Royal Canin PR which is made out of rabbit so it is hypoallergenic. I have also given her some raw dog food mixed in which she loves. I found that bathing her with hypoallergenic soap more often keeps her itching down as well.

If she is in the grass i have to bathe her once done but her allergies were so bad she would scratch herself raw. She was on benadryl, then a steroid, then apoquel until cytopoint came out and helped her a ton. She's had cancer 3 times already and thankfully we caught it every time and removed it fast which may be from all the steroids and apoquel over the years per her vet. At this point if a lump pops up, I get it out asap which has helped her.

She's been through a lot but she is very happy and although she is expensive and a pain in the ass, she is worth every penny lol.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MegaTarsal:
The last two posts are great examples why you should be discussing this with your vet and not members of a firearm forum.  

Allergies are a pain but many dogs will have similar results which is far from a death sentence.  Allergies are certainly frustrating but can be managed (although costly).  You made a commitment to this animal and you're headed down the right track for improvement.  Typically serum (blood) allergy testing for food allergies is negligible and going with a formulated diet for food allergies (royal canin ultamino, science diet Z/D to name a couple) should certainly help!

Your vet is there to help you; trust them and build that relationship to better your pet.

Godspeed

Megatarsal DVM

@NoSightPicture
View Quote

Not saying to put some pup down but being allergic to pretty much everything is pretty unusual. Never had a dog allergic to, well, anything but I let them run in the grass, mud, dirt and god knows what else as soon as they can toddle around on their legs. I think being ''antiseptic'' to anything young can create issues down the road.

I'd really see if, as the dog is young, I could get it out into the world and see if it would help its immune system overload/over reaction.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of good and bad info here. He's 2 and was adopted my me, former rescue.

He's the best dog you could ask for, I can leave food on the ottoman overnight and he won't grab it unless you give him permission. He’ll run around to to explore if you let him but does not run away, comes backbwgwn called. Very good dog. Putting him down is simply not an option. He hates the hydrolyzed food so far, so I am still feeding him a homemade blend on Brown Rice, chicken, just added pork, and veggies.

I'll phase out the chicken and slowly try to phase in more hydrolized food.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
So I didn't put this in my first post, but with human allergy testing, there are specific panels based on what you're testing for.

Look at all those positives- are they all things in your local area,  or a generic "region X" panel?

Because if a lot doesn't apply, focus on the ones that do.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
We tried diet then allergy testing that lead to weekly shots.

Neither worked well.

Apoquel kept the allergic reactions down to a tolerable level.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
It will be trial and error with a lot of things to try that may or may not cause the biggest allergic reaction.  Mine had a lot that showed up on the test but there are a few that are more triggering and causes the itching. Once you figure out the major ones, your pup will be fine. It can be overwhelming but don't get discouraged. Your pup will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Ours is on a daily dose of apaquil and Science Diet dog food. Seems to work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#16]
My GSD is allergic to everything.   My vet sold me a bottle of the injectible allergy med (cytopoint) which I give him every months and it takes care of it.  However, they can also take Claritin (check with your vet on dosage)
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Interesting that potato is on the food panel but sweet potato isn't, since I see sweet potato listed as an ingredient in commercial and home-made dog food recipes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
My dog got out on the Purina HA food.  Didn't help.  We tried apoquel and he had a bad reaction to it.  It messed with his eyes and he walked around like he was drunk.  His skin rarely looks bad.  And he started scratching all the time around 4 years old.  We got him as a 7 week old pup.  We've done benedryl, Chlorpheniramine maleate, different foods.  He just goes through itchy stages.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:12:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackbird_Pilot] [#19]
We've been feeding Titan Blue for almost a year now. We went raw with our current two Giant Schnauzers and they are doing amazingly well.
Our 12ish year old 140lb Mastador was always itchy even on really good kibble and was starting to hobble around occasionally. She has a new lease on life with this stuff. No itching, coat looks better and she has even been playing with the puppies some.
http://www.titandogfood.com/site/
https://www.rawpetfooddeliverymarket.com/collections/titan-products
The Red has no poultry and there is a salmon only one I think.

My wife found some titan coop locally that makes it much cheaper due to shipping. If you are interested look for one in your area.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top