Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/27/2021 10:50:30 AM EDT
Does anyone have info on the show this year besides what is on the website?

I am tentatively planning on flying up there to camp for a couple of days. I am debating the typical “first half of the week, versus second half” question, while recognizing the event might not happen at all.

If anyone has found more current info or news please post here. Looks like early May will be a decision point for the show.  And hopefully in May we can start a separate “ARFCOM meet at KOSH” thread.  

A Normal AirVenture For 2021? Don’t Count On It.

EAA Plans Continue for AirVenture 2021.

INTERVIEW: What to expect at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2021.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I was 100% planning on going this year for my first time (driving). But now will have a yong baby at that time. So its TBD for me
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was 100% planning on going this year for my first time (driving). But now will have a yong baby at that time. So its TBD for me
View Quote

Looks like it is TBD for all of us!  

For me the secondary question is going to be what the camping situation looks like.

A couple of years ago I flew up with a friend to camp.  We thought we were getting an jump on it early Monday morning, and were starting to line up SW of Ripon when ATC called and said that camping was full.  There was a mad rush of diversions to Fond du Lac (KFLD).  From there it was $50 per person for a round trip bus ticket to KOSH.  I do not want to repeat that and would rather have just drove.  Point to point it is actually quicker if I drive.

One of the reasons that I am picking the second half of the week is that, if the event happens, I will be able to see what the camping looks like and hopefully get some intel from the ground as to what the chances are of spots opening up on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend has saved me a seat in his Baron and will have a camper there. Planning on first three days but might stay longer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A friend has saved me a seat in his Baron and will have a camper there. Planning on first three days but might stay longer.
View Quote

IFR or VFR arrival?

And I have no idea if there is GA parking available other than the camping area. Is there?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully they don't chicken little it down the rabbit hole again this year.  

I plan on going.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
So after reading the links and watching the videos...  They are going to chicken little it again this year too.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So after reading the links and watching the videos...  They are going to chicken little it again this year too.  

View Quote

Who wants to meet on the ramp at the FBO and go to the air museum and lunch?  Maybe we can fly up from Madison with 1NM spacing and follow the railroad tracks....  
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Traditional transient parking is in the "North Forty" unless you're in a large airplane that needs the ramp.

Judging from the email I received about Express Arrival, Oshkosh is on this year.  I think I'll check into renting an RV.

View Quote

I’m sure that fills up quickly, but it should also be turning over a lot.

Is that a separate lot or in with or near the campers?

I am likely to camp for at least one night. If I have a three night minimum and leave early that’s the cost of getting an airplane parked there I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The North Forty includes camping.

I don't recall a minimum stay.  Pay attention to the times available for arriving and departure, and read the NOTAM about arrivals.  The first time there is a good time to have an extra set of eyes in the cockpit, the traffic can get wild.

Fond du Lac is a mess.  

The camping situation at Wittman Field drove me to fly up only in airplanes I could park in the antiques and classics.  I have even stayed overnight in Watertown and rented a car, then flown up a day or two later.
View Quote

Thanks, I have attempted the fly up once in the right seat.  It was early Monday morning but while lining up at Ripon ATC said camping was full. We (and everyone else) diverted to Fond du Lac.  From there it was $50 a head to take a bus to KOSH. It would have been much faster had I drove.

A couple of years ago it was 3 days minimum for a camp site pending availability.

I agree Fond du Lac was a mess. The temporary tower did not want to hear from anyone until a 3 mile final. We saw several mistaken radio instructions and the wrong aircraft go around.  I say it was like the single parking lot exit that everyone was rushing to after a sporting event.  It made Ripon Fisk arrival seem tame.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone looked at the NOTAM yet?

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
News reports are that EAA 2021 is a GO!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I got an email from the EAA some weeks ago about it going ahead.
I ordered my tickets last week, and they should be here at the end of June/beginning of July.
It'll be nice to get back after having last year off.
Now if I can stay awake until 11:00 PM, I can catch the evening air shows!
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I flew the full Ripon Fisk arrival today starting at the Endeavor Bridge, and then into KOSH getting cleared for a right downwind to 27.  I was following a DC-3, so my pattern was wider and not inside of the gravel pit.  It was fun and good to get eyes on it and fly it at the altitude and airspeed before there are a zillion airplanes around me.

I have to order my tickets so I get them in the mail and don't have to wait in lines.  The only uncertainty is weather and if there will be open camping spots (but I am going midweek when the first batch of campers start to leave).

Anyone else getting ready?  
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

This includes the hold at Green Lake, which I cut a bit short at the end.  The Endeavor Bridge transition adds quite a bit of distance but is really easy to see with the highway as a reference point.

I need a tent and have to figure out a way to have a canopy for sun and rain.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I really want to fly in but may drive and extend the trip out to Colorado to visit our kids.  I want to come at the beginning of the week but timing may not work out.

Still toying with the options if I can even make it work out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
On the VOR 18 approach to Fond du Lac (KFLD) today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll be there. I'm flying in on Saturday the 24th. Parking at Basler (twin Cessna). But I'll be camping with the Mooney guys
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll be there. I'm flying in on Saturday the 24th. Parking at Basler (twin Cessna). But I'll be camping with the Mooney guys
View Quote

Just curious, but how does someone get parking on the ramp during the show?

I would love to just fly up for a day trip, but am not sure that is possible to find aircraft parking.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just curious, but how does someone get parking on the ramp during the show?

I would love to just fly up for a day trip, but am not sure that is possible to find aircraft parking.
View Quote

Make a reservation.  Call the FBO and see what they have available
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I am going. Staying in Milwaukee. I will be taking a side trip to Taliesin one of those days for a tour.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ll be there all week. Was hoping to fly but I got volunteered to drive. Can’t wait. Hope the weather is good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#24]
What is typically a good time to get into the show on Wednesday?  First thing in the morning, or closer to noon when everyone else has had the chance to leave?

And I understand that this year will likely be unpredictable and much more crowded than previous years.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Pretty much packed and ready!

Leaving this Thursday morning, spending a couple nights in Madison.  Headed up to OSH on Saturday morning
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pretty much packed and ready!

Leaving this Thursday morning, spending a couple nights in Madison.  Headed up to OSH on Saturday morning
View Quote

Going to Rock the Ramp at C29 Friday night?
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Going to Rock the Ramp at C29 Friday night?
View Quote

Nah, pounding beers with the Mooney caravan.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nah, pounding beers with the Mooney caravan.  
View Quote

Are the Mooneys staging at MSN south ramp again?  I saw their mass departure a couple of years ago and it was really cool to see.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are the Mooneys staging at MSN south ramp again?  I saw their mass departure a couple of years ago and it was really cool to see.
View Quote

East ramp this year, but still at MSN
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

East ramp this year, but still at MSN
View Quote

High rollers….

East ramp has cookies and coffee.

But the south ramp is the fun side of the island.  There is a working toilet and running water (cold only) this year, so you don’t know what you are missing!

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Seatlle to La Crosse on Friday.  Into OSH first thing Saturday morning.  That's the plan anyway, starting to watch the weather.  Woo!

IG @dingo_360
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Seatlle to La Crosse on Friday.  Into OSH first thing Saturday morning.  That's the plan anyway, starting to watch the weather.  Woo!

IG @dingo_360
View Quote

Whatcha flying?
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Not going this year.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Whatcha flying?
View Quote

Lancair 360.  First leg is 1000 miles, then a quick hop to KLSE.    Keep an eye on the Instagram for updates.   dingo_360
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 1:27:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

High rollers….

East ramp has cookies and coffee.

But the south ramp is the fun side of the island.  There is a working toilet and running water (cold only) this year, so you don’t know what you are missing!

View Quote

Yeah, we've always been south ramp. Finally got upgraded this year!
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

IG @dingo_360
View Quote

Weather permitting, I'll be flying the arrival around 9am Saturday morning
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lancair 360.  First leg is 1000 miles, then a quick hop to KLSE.    Keep an eye on the Instagram for updates.   dingo_360
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sounds fast. I’ll check out your IG.

Quoted:

Weather permitting, I'll be flying the arrival around 9am Saturday morning

Hope the weather holds for you. Wednesday (when I plan to arrive) could be a mess with storms, but forecasts this far out are sketchy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Wheels up in 20 minutes!

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#40]

A gaggle of Dr. Killers formed up at LSE today ready to head to the big show. Good weather except for 5 miles vis from the haze.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A gaggle of Dr. Killers formed up at LSE today ready to head to the big show. Good weather except for 5 miles vis from the haze.
View Quote

Yes, fire up ForeFlight with traffic and the Ripon Fisk approach is hopping.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#42]

I’ve heard they are going to attempt over 100 of them in formation for some sort of record.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Hitting the road early tomorrow. Driving is not as cool as flying but it is what it is. In 2019 I helped a friend get his two biplanes up there. This year I’m just going to just relax and look at stuff.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’ve heard they are going to attempt over 100 of them in formation for some sort of record.
View Quote

I think the Mooneys have done over 100 before.  I have seen them depart Madison, and it is impressive.

Looks like the Bo's depart La Crosse Saturday en route to Oshkosh.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#45]
So we are first time airplane campers.  Any suggestions on things to bring?

Is it even worth bringing food and a campstove, or just buy prepared food on the grounds?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Food on site is spendy. For lunch, there is a local church set up just outside the main gate selling sausages. Very good and a much more reasonable price.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

See you made it!  We delayed a day.  Still in Madison.  

I'll have to come check out your bird!
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Fisk ATC seems to be using ADS-B to call out aircraft trying to jump the line.

The Endeavor transition was starting at Portage a half hour ago.

Probably best just to fly the highway north from Madison like the track I posted above.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Got in before the weather first thing this morning.  I will be out Monday and on, taking tomorrow off.   Dingo is parked just north of homebuilt HQ across from the homebuilt cafe.   Find me and get a shirt or stickers.   Mention you’re on here!   Hope to see y’all.    Wandering the grounds I’ll have on a bright orange polo. Dingo crew shirt.   Pics on the Instagram.   See ya!
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Got in before the weather first thing this morning.  I will be out Monday and on, taking tomorrow off.   Dingo is parked just north of homebuilt HQ across from the homebuilt cafe.   Find me and get a shirt or stickers.   Mention you’re on here!   Hope to see y’all.    Wandering the grounds I’ll have on a bright orange polo. Dingo crew shirt.   Pics on the Instagram.   See ya!
View Quote

Wow, not only a Lancair, but a former racing Lancair.  Just saw your IG page.  Very cool!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top