BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2024 10:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uafgrad]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe something happened to the control cables?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the speed they were at, they could have not had enough control authority yet or something more catastrophic happened.  I'm going to paste your post into the main thread on this.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/DC-4-crashed-in-Fairbanks/5-2721134/
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if flight controls weren't locked up. Lots of control cables in there, and there is no telling what the explosion may have taken out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it was on fire before the engine kaboomed.  

Hard to say..  possibly the fire compromised the flight controls.  

I don't know how the dc4 would react to losing an engine as far as asymmetric thrust.  

No matter the cause.. that is not a ride I would like to be on.  I feel sad for the crew that rode it in.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#6]
That all happened pretty quick.

Asymmetric thrust from loss of engine, and not enough time/alt to correct for it?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By oetkbyetdia:
That all happened pretty quick.

Asymmetric thrust from loss of engine, and not enough time/alt to correct for it?
View Quote
Not sure if that plane had a critical engine or if it does, if that was the one but the above is my bet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#8]
From the article:

The plane traveled approximately 10 miles from the Fairbanks airport
View Quote

plane had an emergency shortly after take off
View Quote

If the engine started burning on takeoff and they flew ten miles with it burning, and assuming an airspeed of 120 knots, it would have burned for four and a half minutes. A fire that hot, burning for that long, could have easily burned through a cable, or burned off enough material from an aileron to cause loss of control. They almost surely still had the flaps down and the fire could have burned off enough of them to cause the loss of enough lift to keep them airborne.

The most logical conclusion in my mind is that the fire burned through something or burned something off that was critical for flight.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Did a chunk of the wing break off?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheBeaverRetriever:
I wonder if flight controls weren't locked up. Lots of control cables in there, and there is no telling what the explosion may have taken out.
View Quote

Seems likely.  As I understand it, what made AA Flight 191 unrecoverable was not the loss of thrust from the left engine but the loss of hydraulic pressure to the left wing surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#13]
When Yanky 72 (a Marine C-130) crashed, it all started from the left inboard engine loosing a propeller.  That tore into the fuselage but then the right inboard engine experienced an overload in the reduction gear box assembly and the entire prop assembly departed and flew into the fuselage.  Shortly thereafter the cockpit broke away from the fuselage.

https://youtu.be/VYe4KUj6NAo?si=ShhkQyNw6ni1meOd
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Not sure if that plane had a critical engine or if it does, if that was the one but the above is my bet.
View Quote

The engine that exploded was indeed the critical engine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a Russian SAM hit it.

WAR WITH RUSSIA!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By uafgrad:
A DC4 used to transport fuel/cargo crashed today in Fairbanks, Alaska
Unfortunately, it sounds like the two on board were lost

There is actually video of the plane flying and it appears that one of the engines explodes and then the plane tilts hard and goes down

With 4 engines, would the loss of a single engine be so catastrophic typically?

Link to the video, I can't figure out how to post it
View Quote

With how engines are normally arranged on multi-engine aircraft, when one of them quits that position goes from thrust to asymmetric drag.  Also the prop wash over the wing generates more lift by increasing the relative airspeed over that part of the wing.  When an engine fails you lose that extra lift, so the combination of drag and less left tends to make the airplane turn and roll into the dead engine.

The control surfaces can counter-act this IF, and only if, the air flowing over them can generate sufficient force and leverage.  Below a certain air speed they can't and you crash.  This is much worse in a 4 engined airplane when a catastrophic engine failure damages the other engine, prop, or fuel flow on that wing, or damages control cables.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
IIRC, losing an engine on a multi-engine plane usually causes the opposite wing to rise, flipping the plane over. Or at least that can happen. I think that's what happened to a B-17 that crashed not too long ago. One of the outer engines failed while they were climbing out on takeoff, which caused the opposite wing to lift and rolled the plane over.

The video looks like they lost one of the port side engines, then the plane rolled to that side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top