Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2021 1:28:39 AM EDT
Any one else involved in aircraft inspection?

I've spent 30 years as an avionics technician and because of this covid bullshit a retirement package was offered at my employer and half of the inspection department retired or moved on.  I was asked by an Inspection foreman to apply for the job as a preflight Inspector and since Nov 30 I have been in training.

This coming week will be the end of our training.  Our training involves classroom time on various airframe types that involve RII (Required Inspection Items), engine installation, landing gear, major sheet metal repairs and door slides.

I'm enjoying this new roll and in some ways has been an eye opener.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any one else involved in aircraft inspection?

I've spent 30 years as an avionics technician and because of this covid bullshit a retirement package was offered at my employer and half of the inspection department retired or moved on.  I was asked by an Inspection foreman to apply for the job as a preflight Inspector and since Nov 30 I have been in training.

This coming week will be the end of our training.  Our training involves classroom time on various airframe types that involve RII (Required Inspection Items), engine installation, landing gear, major sheet metal repairs and door slides.

I'm enjoying this new roll and in some ways has been an eye opener.
View Quote

Just from DCMA AIMO side of the house
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Aircraft and spacecraft
You will get to find out why shop hates qc now
Knowing processes, procedures and having quick access to specs/standards should keep you off mahogany row.
Congratulations and good luck
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Part 145 QC (both floor inspector and chief inspector and then manager of QC) and IA since about 1986/87. Corporate Director of Maintenance since 1994 but still use my IA a bunch.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I come from an avionics background, but am lead mechanic now for a Sheriff's dept, maintaining 2 AStars and 2 UH1s
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been trying to find an experienced GA IA to hire for a full time gig wrenching for my flying club, and it’s damn near impossible.

And I wouldn’t let the kids coming out of my local A&P mill work on my lawnmower.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aircraft and spacecraft
You will get to find out why shop hates qc now
Knowing processes, procedures and having quick access to specs/standards should keep you off mahogany row.
Congratulations and good luck
View Quote
It's not qc we hate.  It's just you
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's not qc we hate.  It's just you
View Quote

Ya, our office is just y'alls hiding spot.

Another thing OP, keep a jar of mini snickers and 3 musketeers bars on the desk.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Not exactly willingly, but the chief inspector wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

...though it wasn't exactly "no".  It was more like "%$^* you, I'm not doing it."
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Did my time in military inspection, Part 121, Part 145, aviation and aerospace, fixed and rotary-wing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll just through this out there...

If you've got some experience and you'd like to work on engines and live in (or would like to live in) the Phoenix Metro area... IM me.

I'm an OEM Engineer turned MRO management, myself.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I’m QA at the moment.

Your job description is exactly what I’m doing.

But I also have to do personal evaluations on all maintainers since they are required to have one done annually. Got like 600+ people in the squadron so it’s also kinda annoying.

@ASUsax
Man that sounds perfect. I’m a jet engine guy. Done both JEIM and flightline on F-15/B-52’s. The southwest NV/AZ is where I’d like to move to as well. However, I still have a couple of years till retirement...
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Im an Army avionics guy and also a TI for avionics/electrical work.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im an Army avionics guy and also a TI for avionics/electrical work.
View Quote

I started as a 68N (avionics) in the Army, I've been one ever since 1990.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top