Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2019 12:22:14 PM EDT
My son is seriously considering the AF after graduation but the local recruiters are all but useless. Everything has been an uphill battle since approaching him with the idea of joining about 6 months ago. His mom has been undermining the effort from the start. Having to explain the cost/benefits of college and what the service offers. Then there are the recruiters. I have been contacting the 3 local offices...they almost never answer and never call back. My son managed to land an appointment several weeks ago. We met at the office and the Sgt was surprised to see us because she never marked it on her calendar. Now he has a couple more questions and his mom is finally prepared to go sit in the office and listen to a recruiter and I can't get a response on the phone or via email.

Anyone got a suggestion? Or know of a south FL recruiter that will answer the phone?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What do his ASVAB scores look like?
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#2]
He did good..somewhere in the 60's... but thinks he could do better now that it matters to him so he is going to take it again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 8:13:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Him] [#3]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck: We met at the office and the Sgt was surprised to see us because she never marked it on her calendar. Now he has a couple more questions and his mom is finally prepared to go sit in the office and listen to a recruiter and I can't get a response on the phone or via email.

Anyone got a suggestion? Or know of a south FL recruiter that will answer the phone?
View Quote
There's your problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  Let him figure out his own path.  He's an adult now, stop making decisions for him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Nope.  Let him figure out his own path.  He's an adult now, stop making decisions for him.
View Quote
Arguably the best advice in the entire thread.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I am retired Air Force and tried my best to help my son go Air Guard. My son really wanted to be a Boom Operator and I even had an insider in the unit trying to help us. The recruiters we dealt with were horrible, as they point blank told us that being Guard, they get enough AD people that cross over they do not have to work at getting recruits off the streets. My son went to college two weeks after I took a job in Afghanistan and switched recruiters to one that was highly recommended. He waited and waited and the recruiter never got back with him, so he went to the Army National Guard Recruiter, and the guy had my son through MEPS and enlisted in 2 months time. As my son was getting ready to enlist in the Army, the new Air Guard Recruiter he tried to contact finally got back with him, he told them he was going Army. With that being said, you have to let your son make his own decisions and live with it. That way, if it doesn't work out they can't blame anyone but themselves. My son is excited to go to basic in 10 days, and I am happy for him.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Bahaha....sure go to college, and waste 4 years in a degree that I will pay for....

If I'm paying them in having an opinion
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:32:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#8]
And he had listened to my advice and was leaning towards joining. He wanted to hear mom support the decision. After meeting with another recruiter thursday , she is finally onboard.

He plans on joining at the end of the summer.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Bahaha....sure go to college, and waste 4 years in a degree that I will pay for....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

That was a dumb response.  You're not paying for him to join the AF.  And if he does join the AF you're not paying for him to go to school either.

If he wants to go to school on your dime, then sure you've got some say in what he majors in.  Otherwise let him pay his own way.

You coercing him into the AF is only going to make him hate the AF, hate you, and get out after 4-6 years with nothing to show for it.

So let him figure out his own path, if it coincides with what you're willing to cover, then cover it.  If it doesn't, let him figure out how to make it work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
They probably met their quota for the month.  Try the first of the month maybe.  My recruiter didnt even show up when I left for basic.  His asvab scores are ok.  Also ask what afsc(jobs) they currently have available maybe they'd be more willing to work with him.  It is weird they dont respond, but it's been 14 years since I talked to a recruiter and the few recruiters I know are no longer recruiters.

Best of luck to your son.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top