Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 4:02:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#1]
Just a heads up - if you missed it in my other thread on Sam’s Club deals. Local store had Tequila Ocho Plata La Loma 2020 for $34.95.
I’ve read that Ocho actually started out as an experiment to test the effect of agave from different terrier have on taste. This one is one of the great ones..... but they are all really good.

ETA: walked into a local grocery store that I never visit and saw (3j bottles of Del Maguey Vida for $22/ea. Clerk said they were delivered by mistake.
Now I really need to find some good mezcal cocktail recipes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bondservant2:
Just a heads up - if you missed it in my other thread on Sam’s Club deals. Local store had Tequila Ocho Plata La Loma 2020 for $34.95.
I’ve read that Ocho actually started out as an experiment to test the effect of agave from different terrier have on taste. This one is one of the great ones..... but they are all really good.

ETA: walked into a local grocery store that I never visit and saw (3j bottles of Del Maguey Vida for $22/ea. Clerk said they were delivered by mistake.
Now I really need to find some good mezcal cocktail recipes.
View Quote

That's a killer deal all around. That vida is a great cocktail mezcal, and at $35 I doubt you could find a better tequila
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Great thread, very informative. So who started the tradition of salt and lime before/after taking a shot of mezcal/tequila?
I never did the salt, lime thing and while in Mexico never saw anyone use it except in the tourist spots. Some people I worked with in the past didn’t know where the whole salt and lime thing came from and they grew up in Mexico and immigrated here legally.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Truchas:
Great thread, very informative. So who started the tradition of salt and lime before/after taking a shot of mezcal/tequila?
I never did the salt, lime thing and while in Mexico never saw anyone use it except in the tourist spots. Some people I worked with in the past didn’t know where the whole salt and lime thing came from and they grew up in Mexico and immigrated here legally.
View Quote

That's actually a muddied down version of aezcal tradition from Oaxaca. It is common to serve mezcals with blood oranges or sweet grapefruit covered in a spicy seasoned salt made with roasted and dried gusano worms.

This was used to cleanse your palate between sips or if you're eating something to clear the taste before sipping the mezcal so you can really taste it.

Over time it turned into just salt and acid in the northern Mexico regions and like most things that evolves over time with trends, so people started taking it with their shots.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you. I just noticed my question was answered on the first page. The first time I read the thread I skimmed through it and missed what you wrote about the salt. That looks delicious and refreshing. If I can find a recipe I might try it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Finally can get Tapatio here in MN!
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By natethegreat:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qinrflkm17ed98o/pxl_20220410_235349605.portrait.jpg?raw=1

View Quote

Curious what you think of the 110.....let us know when you try it. I have a bottle of the Tapatio Excellencia I’ve been waiting to open. I’ve heard good things about it.

I also shouldn’t keep this a secret.....On recommendation I got a bottle of San Matias Gran Reserva extra anejo. Amazing for the price of $39/bottle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Curious what you think of the 110.....let us know when you try it. I have a bottle of the Tapatio Excellencia I’ve been waiting to open. I’ve heard good things about it.

I also shouldn’t keep this a secret.....On recommendation I got a bottle of San Matias Gran Reserva extra anejo. Amazing for the price of $39/bottle.
View Quote

I like the 110 in cocktails, but it's a little too hot for my tastes neat.   I have been wondering how the Excelencia is, looking forward to your review.  

Old Town sold me a bottle of the San Matias XA when I first went in there a couple of years ago.   I remember thinking it was good, but I had not tried very many XA's at the time so I can't recall many details on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:48:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#10]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

FYI, a few weeks ago I ordered the same (normal and 110) from Old Town Tequila; when I looked at my old order a few days ago, the Tapatios were "No Longer Available"...which for a mail order outfit could be no more for anyone/anywhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @natethegreat :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qinrflkm17ed98o/pxl_20220410_235349605.portrait.jpg?raw=1

FYI, a few weeks ago I ordered the same (normal and 110) from Old Town Tequila; when I looked at my old order a few days ago, the Tapatios were "No Longer Available"...which for a mail order outfit could be no more for anyone/anywhere.

It LOOKS like it’s still available on their website
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Awe hell yeah! I had given up on finding one of these

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WOAFP:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20220428_170024-2365150.jpg
View Quote

@WOAFP

Is it wonderful? I’m trying to build the courage to crack mine
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

And???????  :)

There is a relatively new place in AZ that seems to have a pretty good selection of Agave stuff - They had a bunch of these bottles on the shelf a few months ago, along with some std Tesoro repo store picks.   I picked up a couple of the std single barrel bottles because I know I like them.   I passed on the Laphoig one because I wasn't sure what to make of it.   I need to make a stop at that place to see what have on the shelf now - I have learned that I always want to have a bottle of a Tesoro store pick repo on the shelf, they are so good.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#14]
FYI I was in the area so I stopped at the AZ store I mentioned before - They have about 45 bottles of the El Tesoro Laphroaig Anejo, and probably 30+ bottles of the single barrel El Tesoro Repos on the shelf.   I passed on the Laphroaig pending some reviews, but I picked up 2 of the single barrel repos and a bottle of Tahona blanco..   I wish I was closer to this store because they seem to have a pretty good selection of agave stuff
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Bakke1:

@WOAFP

Is it wonderful? I’m trying to build the courage to crack mine
View Quote

Sorry for the delay. It's a thinker. Surprisingly it isn't slap you in the face with the peat at all. But it almost comes across with some chardonnay notes from the soft lactic citrusy flavor of islay and a strong oak and smoke. The peat then shows up mostly on the finish. Really interesting and very good. I nursed a few glasses over a couple hours and as it opened up the sweetness of the agave became way more apparent (in a good way). Definitely crack it open!

Originally Posted By AZGR:

And???????  :)

There is a relatively new place in AZ that seems to have a pretty good selection of Agave stuff - They had a bunch of these bottles on the shelf a few months ago, along with some std Tesoro repo store picks.   I picked up a couple of the std single barrel bottles because I know I like them.   I passed on the Laphoig one because I wasn't sure what to make of it.   I need to make a stop at that place to see what have on the shelf now - I have learned that I always want to have a bottle of a Tesoro store pick repo on the shelf, they are so good.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bondservant2] [#16]
I wanted to give my opinion on the Tequila Ocho La Ladera 2020 I picked up. Here’s a pic of the label description….
Attachment Attached File

The front label states bottela no. 118,440 - not sure if , in fact, they produced over 100k bottles of this  - that seems really high.
I personally didn’t get much of any citrus flavor or smoke from it. Not quite “ minerally” but definite earthy flavor - almost moldy , which I didn’t like. VERY viscous and mildly sweet. I didn’t care for it too much neat but was good in a Margarita and am looking forward to trying a Paloma or other cocktail.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I wanted to give my opinion on the Tequila Ocho La Ladera 2020 I picked up. Here’s a pic of the label description….
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257673/6351A08D-7BE8-462E-BD4A-CF6A9493A573_jpe-2369209.JPG

The front label states bottlea no. 118,440 - not sure if , in fact, they produced over 100k bottles of this  - that seems really high.
I personally didn’t get much of any citrus flavor or smoke from it. Not quite “ minerally” but definite earthy flavor - almost moldy , which I didn’t like. VERY viscous and mildly sweet. I didn’t care for it too much neat but was better in a Margarita and am looking forward to trying a Paloma or other cocktail.
View Quote

Nice! Actually not had that one yet. That is a super high brix, so I expect the viscous but would have thought the sweetness would be the big note.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:23:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malarauko] [#20]

View Quote

FYI, There are at least 6 left at the Liquor Barn by the Jeff Mall.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elvis121] [#22]
There's a tequila festival Saturday the 14th at Resorts World in Vegas.  $100 to get in, looks like a sizeable selection for tasting, with at least a few really good ones.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wallys-tequila-and-mezcal-festival-at-resorts-world-las-vegas-tickets-277805653187
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 9:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: natethegreat] [#23]

Can't believe I haven't opened the Pasote before today.

I am not a fan of the Espolon. I prefer Olmeca Altos or the Tapatio blanco.

110 Tapatio is tatsy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Elvis121:
There's a tequila festival Saturday the 14th at Resorts World in Vegas.  $100 to get in, looks like a sizeable selection for tasting, with at least a few really good ones.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wallys-tequila-and-mezcal-festival-at-resorts-world-las-vegas-tickets-277805653187
View Quote

Oh man. I bet that's awesome. Some great stuff on the list.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By natethegreat:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q0yloual2tpbsh/pxl_20220513_002202532.jpgr?raw=1

Can't believe I haven't opened the Pasote before today.

I am not a fan of the Espolon. I prefer Olmeca Altos or the Tapatio blanco.

110 Tapatio is tatsy.
View Quote

Olmeca punches way above it's price tag! Give us some notes. I'm curious what your favorite is?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:32:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#26]
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
This thread needs a bump.

Attachment Attached File

I tried this today.  Wow, if you’re a bourbon lover, you will be all over this. Tons of barrel characteristics and enough agave to please your tequila itch.

It is more barrel focused, so try it with that in mind.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By clindt:
This thread needs a bump.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14629/2BF1D243-967C-4F3D-95A3-5FC8912EAC0E_jpe-2413069.JPG

I tried this today.  Wow, if you’re a bourbon lover, you will be all over this. Tons of barrel characteristics and enough agave to please your tequila itch.

It is more barrel focused, so try it with that in mind.
View Quote

Funny you to say that, i've had a ton of bourbon friends out in texas talk about this bottle and always raved about it. Arrete usually seems to lean into that style more, but still make well made tequila.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone see any tequila ocho plata puntas in the wild yet? Had a pour at a local bar and have been searching ever since. It’s damn good
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JesseCJC:
Anyone see any tequila ocho plata puntas in the wild yet? Had a pour at a local bar and have been searching ever since. It’s damn good
View Quote

Not yet. I've been searching everywhere. I've got my wife looking for it in Arizona right now
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#31]
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 6:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZGR] [#32]
I was in the area today, so I stopped by Trevor's in Scottsdale to see what they had.   There were some various Ocho bottles, but no Puntas.  

They still have some bottles of the Tesoro Single Barrel Anejo Laphroig edition, but I passed on it again.   They also have a great deal on what remains of their Tesoro Repo Single Barrel picks, so I bought a few of those just to stock up.  I also bought a Cascahuin Blanco and an Arette Artesanal Blanco which will be the first that I have tried from them.

edit:  pic of bottles added.

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#33]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#34]
The Cascahuin Tahona is pretty good.

There is a less expensive non-tahona version Cascahuin that they sort of recommended.

I haven’t tried the Arette.
View Quote

I realized after the fact that my bottle of Tahona Blanco was in the background.  I've had this one for some time, and it is one of my favorite blancos.   I also bought just a std Cascahuin blanco, as I think it is really good at the price point.  

I will probably try the Arette tonight - I don't know much about it, but I like to try new ones from time to time as I try to experience more variety.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 12:47:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZGR] [#36]
I was able to try the Arette Artesenal Blanco, and I really like it.    It's additive free and the agave is front and center.   I still don't think I'm very good at articulating what I like/don't like about tequilas, but this one tastes really clean.  The agave is front and center, some mineral and minty flavors to me.  The finish is light without any kind of bite or aftertaste that I get with some other blancos.   This is one that I will keep in my rotation at the current price point ($50).
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#37]
So I'm going to be flying back from cancun later in the week. It looks like they have a lot of Don julio at the duty free. Any of it worth checking out?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Have her try Trevor’s in Scottsdale is she’s in the valley.

They had the Laphroaig El Tesoro last time I was there and this:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/0A2BDF0C-960E-40E3-9249-54769462C34B-2416220.jpghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/7C8F145E-AA6E-46C3-A6F3-9173D5B6495B-2416221.jpg

@WOAFP
View Quote

I need to stock up on the Liquor Barn barrel picks of these. They are one my favorites!
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unamusedbanana] [#39]
Is this stuff any good? Total Wine guy was trying to tell me that it’s the best bottle in the store. I’m skeptical.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Voland:
So I'm going to be flying back from cancun later in the week. It looks like they have a lot of Don julio at the duty free. Any of it worth checking out?
View Quote

No, leave it all there. Not worth it
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Enjoying a little (mmm, little?) La Venenosa Raicilla to unwind after a week on duty.

Not bad.
View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#45]
This makes me happy! I'm away for a bit and a bunch of great guys recommend people away from bad tequila and talk about awesome stuff like el tesoro. Have a good pour for me tonight gents. All my stuff is back in the states and I'm missing it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Can you get any tequila in Korea?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By clindt:
Can you get any tequila in Korea?
View Quote

I've not seen anything worthwhile yet. It's going to take some searching. I can mail order from masters of malt though, so can get ocho and few others if I pay the tariffs
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#48]

I've not seen anything worthwhile yet. It's going to take some searching. I can mail order from masters of malt though, so can get ocho and few others if I pay the tariffs
View Quote

Nice to see you checking in here - Hopefully you are squared away in Korea, and you will find a local source for some good agave.   I'm guessing that there are some pretty good whiskey bars, maybe you can convince a bartender/owner to bring in a couple of bottles of good agave.  How long will you be there for?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:24:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AZGR:

Nice to see you checking in here - Hopefully you are squared away in Korea, and you will find a local source for some good agave.   I'm guessing that there are some pretty good whiskey bars, maybe you can convince a bartender/owner to bring in a couple of bottles of good agave.  How long will you be there for?
View Quote

Hey I'm here for 2 years. I did talk the wife into packing a few things in her suitcase with her, so i have a bottle of tears, some siete leguas, and an ocho blanco coming my way before too long. Also here, if i'm willing to pay duties, I can order from masters of malt.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 1:12:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#50]
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top