Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
TG, do you live in that area? Are you and yours okay?

That's awful

Tornadoes scare the hell out of me far more than ice storms, hurricanes etc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty bad EF3 damage at least.  There was no warning!
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
My son and I were in that Home Depot at 7:30pm a week ago yesterday. We were looking and pictures this morning and trying to get him to understand how a perfectly good building was just completely destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It was pretty sporty. Glad no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty bad EF3 damage at least.  There was no warning!
View Quote
Yes there was. We were in the path of it, and knew that it was coming at least several minutes in advance.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Aerial Video Shows Devastating Tornado Aftermath In Dallas | NBC News

Tornado Touches Down in Dallas
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a little farther south than ThawnTex. Was watching on the tv and radar. We were in a small gap between the two storm cells, one went north of us, the other to the south of us. Dodged a bullet with just some wind gusts and rain.

@thawntex

If you need anything I'll help if i can. I have some room in my safe as well.

To any other arfcommers in the area, lets us know if need some help. Will do what we can. 44
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Here’s a couple of pics one of the associates from that store posted on a associate forum

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
All the pictures in the world do no justice to seeing something like that in person.  It is awful.  Prayers out to those in the path.  The rebuilding can take years.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some people were hurt. None killed.
I was at work adjacent to White Rock lake. Sirens going, incredible lightning.
I hid out in a basement. ??
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's awful

View Quote
Hurricanes scare me worse than tornadoes.  Scary as they are, tornadoes are super localized.  Get a couple blocks away from it and you escape with minor or no damage.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some people were hurt. None killed.
I was at work adjacent to White Rock lake. Sirens going, incredible lightning.
I hid out in a basement. ??
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hurricanes scare me worse than tornadoes.  Scary as they are, tornadoes are super localized.  Get a couple blocks away from it and you escape with minor or no damage.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61337/Tornado-Rowlett-GJ-McCarthy_jpg-1132936.JPG
View Quote
I’ve heard the arguments on both, at least you have more notice with hurricanes, tornadoes are smaller...etc. Seems like people generally argue in favor of the one they don’t have to deal with. I don’t like either of them

Talked to a buddy today who lives close to this one....no damage, but his wife is still shook up about it.

Good luck to anyone in the area!
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayers for Dallas.

Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Why did people build houses and businesses where tornadoes and bad weather are? Do they rebuild or move the hell out of there?

Just asking because I'm in the same boat with a flooding issue. People here tell me I shouldn't live where it never flooded up until 2 years ago. Trying to figure if I should move away from hurricane central to earthquake , wildfire or tornado central?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the best "path map" that I have found of the Dallas twister(s).

Has anyone seen a better one?

Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's awful

View Quote
We are north of the track. There are fences and trees down, but no serious damage. Two of my students had serious damage to their homes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61337/Tornado-Rowlett-GJ-McCarthy_jpg-1132936.JPG
View Quote
Sorry,  but I'll take knowing a hurricane is coming and where it is at over not knowing a tornado is coming while I'm asleep during the night.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why did people build houses and businesses where tornadoes and bad weather are? Do they rebuild or move the hell out of there?

Just asking because I'm in the same boat with a flooding issue. People here tell me I shouldn't live where it never flooded up until 2 years ago. Trying to figure if I should move away from hurricane central to earthquake , wildfire or tornado central?
View Quote
Odds are you will never get hit by a tornado or lightning. But water will always go to its lowest point. Where that is not the best place to be.

With urban development, water that would be absorbed is now run off. A one inch rain in a square mile of suburbia creates a tremendous amount of runoff.  It can easily act like 3 or more inches.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#22]
This is why I live where the air hurts my face in the winter
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]
We hsd a tornado in Dallas 5 years ago that swept people off overpasses to their deaths.

It happened Christmas week.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm a little farther south than ThawnTex. Was watching on the tv and radar. We were in a small gap between the two storm cells, one went north of us, the other to the south of us. Dodged a bullet with just some wind gusts and rain.

@thawntex

If you need anything I'll help if i can. I have some room in my safe as well.

To any other arfcommers in the area, lets us know if need some help. Will do what we can. 44
View Quote
Thanks, but we're fine. Got a lot cleaned up today and no damage to the house.

Me and the family drove by that Home Depot today though and boy, was that something. Like the other poster said, it makes a much bigger impact when you see it in person. I think we were all awestruck that something that powerful passed within a 1000 yards of our place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top