Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2021 10:55:57 AM EDT
I’m about to have my tailbeacon installed and I need to do the verification flight. Has anybody on here done this in 2021? Searching the FAA’s website it goes on and on about requirements to get the subsidy. Obviously that doesn’t apply to me in 2021. I can’t seem to find the sequences and time required in the airspace etc. Anybody have actual experience with this procedure ?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Verification flights were to qualify for the rebate which has ended.

Your shop should verify its operation before releasing it

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

your flights can be found here it doesn't hurt to check them every now and again for compliance/performance.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
So that’s what I’m reading. Old news about the verification flight for the rebate.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have not looked at the requirements for a while but I suggest getting a squawk from a radar facility for about 10 minutes, ask them if they can see the data (a "yes" would be a good start), then land and check the website. A certain amount of time to get into the website may be required.

I have anonymous mode set up so I am mostly invisible with a squawk of 1200 per Flightaware ect so I have to get an ATC code to be seen publicly. The FAA probably decodes it anyway so I'm not sure how it affects the test but getting a discreet squawk code would take out any doubts.

Edit...it should not be required to be in radar contact to conduct the test, just be in range if ADS-B towers which should be easy unless you are in the middle of Montana or the like. Being able to ask a controller as to what they see is a plus.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok cool. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Rebate is long gone.

If you can’t have it checked on the ground (say you do the install) fly over to your nearest Class C and tell them you need a block of airspace inside the Class C for ADS-B test flight. The flight should be at least 30 minutes in length with outbound reciprocal legs for at least 5 miles and climbing/descending turns.
When you complete the flight RTB, apply for an ADS-B test flight report via email (best to do this before the flight). Results will be sent to you via email within 45 minutes - two hours. It will give you a detailed report on if you fall within the specified parameters of readability.

Don’t be surprised if the controller has no clue what you are talking about when you tell them what you’re doing. I was surprised when the ones I spoke with at GSO Approach didn’t. They were very gracious about working with me though.

Email address for the report
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have not looked at the requirements for a while but I suggest getting a squawk from a radar facility for about 10 minutes, ask them if they can see the data (a "yes" would be a good start), then land and check the website. A certain amount of time to get into the website may be required.

I have anonymous mode set up so I am mostly invisible with a squawk of 1200 per Flightaware ect so I have to get an ATC code to be seen publicly. The FAA probably decodes it anyway so I'm not sure how it affects the test but getting a discreet squawk code would take out any doubts.

Edit...it should not be required to be in radar contact to conduct the test, just be in range if ADS-B towers which should be easy unless you are in the middle of Montana or the like. Being able to ask a controller as to what they see is a plus.
View Quote

You are correct, radar contact is not required, only being within range of an ADS-B ground receiver. I get investigations all the time where a ground pitot static check ends up transmitting pings at all altitudes but no movement all day.

Unfortunately the controller only sees whether or not you have ADS-B, not that your system is sending the correct data. Did an investigation on a guy who had the system installed and transmitting, so the controllers were happy, not that they have any idea how anything works anyway, but the information was all wrong. He ended up asking for a special flight permit to take his plane to the avionics shop at another airport and got it fixed.

On the STARS radar system they see either a filled square or not.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#7]
OP states he is using a tailbeacon.
Unless the technical folks at Uavionix lied to me a test flight inside of Class C or B airspace for at least 30 minutes is required, and the report has to be with the paperwork for the installation to be in compliance.

I am not an I/A, nor have I played one on TV, but their reasoning was the report is necessary to verify the tail beacon is broadcasting within the parameters set forth by the FAA.
Evidently since the tailbeacon and skybeacon are self contained units with integrated antennae, there are concerns about broadcast or reception being blocked by certain maneuvers of the aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I just did a new verification flight today.  

Min 30 mins inside use airspace (I am under a class bravo so I just stayed within the 30nm Mode C ring).    No wild maneuvers that will block signal.  And it's gotta be at least 30 mins inside the airspace (under a bravo, above 10k feet, wherever).  THEN you can pull a PAPR report and see if it's valid.  No red ink is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are correct, radar contact is not required, only being within range of an ADS-B ground receiver. I get investigations all the time where a ground pitot static check ends up transmitting pings at all altitudes but no movement all day.

Unfortunately the controller only sees whether or not you have ADS-B, not that your system is sending the correct data. Did an investigation on a guy who had the system installed and transmitting, so the controllers were happy, not that they have any idea how anything works anyway, but the information was all wrong. He ended up asking for a special flight permit to take his plane to the avionics shop at another airport and got it fixed.

On the STARS radar system they see either a filled square or not.
View Quote
It's a filled/unfilled circle on some STARS displays, but we're splitting hairs at this point.
Controllers can also see the registered N numbers on an ADSB equipped aircraft squawking 1200, with STARS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#10]
It would appear that there may be a lot of stress over this. Just to put a really fine point on it (and this may be totally unnecessary or redundant):

- No verification flights are required. Indeed, the FAA will happily send you a letter if things are not working right. No big deal, just fix it.

- You don't have to try so hard to get verified. No need to make a special trip to go flying around in Class A, B or C. Unless you live in Outer Slobovia where there is no radar coverage just fly casual, Chewie. After a few flights go hit the verification website. 99% chance your answer will be there. It was for me.

Funny ADS-B FAA letter story: a helicopter colleague of mine had installed a GTX345H a few months prior to me doing the same thing. We were chatting about the wonders of the 345, and how it is a game changer to have all that cool traffic and weather data on the tablet. The 345 will also provide attitude data over the Bluetooth link, which make the synthetic vision on the tablet really shine. Unfortunately it only does that when you tell the 345 it is in an airplane, that feature is not there for helicopters. I told my colleague that I was going to program the 345 in airplane mode. He said "Oh, don't do that! I tried that myself and it only took two weeks for the FAA to send me a letter requesting I fix the programming." So I never tried it. But, as you can see, it's no big deal if a bit or a byte is not 100% perfect. The FAA will let you know!

As an early adopter of ADS-B, over a year before the deadline, in those days it seemed the controllers really liked you better, the way they said "Radar contact" just had a different tone to it. I felt like pure royalty one day when I was coming out of an airport with overlying Class C. The ATIS said they were not issuing codes for VFR transitions because the primary radar was down. On my initial request for taxi/takeoff to the tower they volunteered without me asking "You have ADS-B, departure will accept you for the transition." Saved me the hassle and time of going around the long way Of course, now we are all just GA gutter trash again
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:45:31 AM EDT
[#11]
From the Uavionix website;

How is the installation tested to ensure it meets the FAA Requirements?
Once the tailBeacon has been installed it is required that the equipment be tested to show it meets the FAA requirements for ADS-B OUT. An Operational Flight Evaluation (often referred to as a performance flight) must be performed and verified by the FAA.  Additionally, the installer may verify performance on the ground using an ADS-B ramp test set.

Ramp Test Equipment (ref. section 91.407(c)). Use ramp test equipment (e.g. Aeroflex IFR6000) to verify proper system configuration and compliance with section 91.227 equipment performance requirements.

Operational Flight Evaluation:  See next FAQ titled:  What does the Operational Flight Evaluation Consist Of?

From what I understand this is specific to Uavionix products.
I felt it important to point this out since the OP was referring specifically to a Tailbeacon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, if you want to be OCD about your ADS-B (yes, it rhymes), refer to Section 4.3 (another rhyme!) of FAA AC 20-165B (aaagh, more rhyming )
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#13]
My point is not the flight is required to use the device. Nor do I have any doubt the good folks at the FAA will kindly inform you if your system is not functioning properly.
I’m simply pointing out that if you install a Uavionix Tailbeacon on your airplane and do not perform the flight test and have this information documented with the installation paperwork, you have an unauthorized installation. Correct or incorrect this is from Uavionix.

I am aware Garmin, Bendix/King, and others do not have this requirement. I do think it strange Uavionix does.
If they tell me that the test is required to have the paperwork legal, then you can bet I will do the test.

Does this mean if I am shooting an approach to minimums and the engine dies at the outer marker and the crash kills 10 people in a schoolhouse that the FAA will rule the cause to be the omission of the flight test document? I seriously doubt it, but I don’t care to test the theory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top