Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2020 6:31:34 PM EDT
Hello  All -

Am thinking of setting up a retirement account for my kid who is only 4 months old. This will be a very long term project that is expected to last 65 years. Now,  I'm not sure of the process to do this but this looks like a great start due to bargain price. My expectations of him is that he cant touch it until he is 65 years old. I also expect him to earn his retirement as well.

Thinking of starting off with a BANG:
  • Start with $5K with 1K to 2K yearly until 18 years old.
  • return of 7% to 9% annually
What do you guys think? is that doable ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You already started a 529 plan?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Retirement? What is his income?

I fundamentally disagree with that strongly. But its your child,  you can choose the lessons you teach. It won't be a lesson i ever teach my kids. Including my 3 week old.

Im sure the intentions are good,  i just think the lesson is horrible and detrimental.

And of course its possible,  assuming your baby earns 5 grand this year and 1 to 2 every year after.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy stock, NOW
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If you belong to NFCU or possibly other CUs, open an account in their name. Years of "service" with banks, esp credit unions can get you some benefits. Ive been able to get lower rates on loans etc and higher rates on CDs by being a +20 year member.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it could be a great idea. IF you educate him him on the power of compound interest, budgeting and the importance of being skilled and motivated over the years. Don’t just hand it to him. You could set it up as a trust fund that he  Inherits IF he has become a journeyman or engineer/doctor/lawyer or something and has been employed as such for at least five years and saved 10% of earnings. If he fails then it goes to some other beneficiary.

A relatively small investment now could really grow massive in 65 years!  It would be a really cool real world object lesson.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#6]
My son is 17 days old. ive already started a 529 and im thinking of starting a general account and only investing in index funds such as SWPPX. Basically just keep it simple. when he's old enough i plan on having him pick some fun stocks teaching him about the market in real time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Time in the market + compounding interest = less worry later *assuming we are all still around and have a monetary system

I did that for my kids. 50 bucks per paycheck to each of their accounts all in an s&p index fund. At 6%, after 60 years is about 700k. A nice start towards retirement...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top