Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2024 3:32:14 PM EDT
Not looking for the cheapest option - willing to pay for speed, reliability and features.

This is for a 2000sq/ft single floor condo

Cat5 run already in place from modem location (data closet) to access point location (ceiling mount)

15-20 simultaneous clients is realistic (various loads per client)

Must have POE

Would like to be able to add a second, non-wired (other than power) outdoor access point that will easily "mesh" with the inside POE AP.

Would like to avoid anything that requires a subscription to manage (remote management would be nice but really not critical).

I have always used UniFi AP's but am open to other ideas.  Someone recommended TP-Link but I'm not familiar...
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeremy223] [#1]
Used or refurbished Aruba 345. Way better than Ubiquiti/TPLink/other home stuff.
Has a built in controller, or you can use cloud management, if for some reason you wanted to. Has dual m-gig ports and all sorts of enterprise features you'll probably never use. Anvil like reliability.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FirefighterCT:
Not looking for the cheapest option - willing to pay for speed, reliability and features.

This is for a 2000sq/ft single floor condo

Cat5 run already in place from modem location (data closet) to access point location (ceiling mount)

15-20 simultaneous clients is realistic (various loads per client)

Must have POE

Would like to be able to add a second, non-wired (other than power) outdoor access point that will easily "mesh" with the inside POE AP.

Would like to avoid anything that requires a subscription to manage (remote management would be nice but really not critical).

I have always used UniFi AP's but am open to other ideas.  Someone recommended TP-Link but I'm not familiar...
View Quote

I've been a fan of the Aruba InstantOn platform for a while now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking into Aruba, thank you guys
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:19:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#4]
If you already have and are familiar with a unifi controller I would just get a U6-LR, or 2-3 U6-Pro if you want multiple APs. Aruba is nice but I wouldn't step down to an 11ac model.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Unify is my go to. The new Unify 7 Flagship looks amazing.  I have one generation back of Unify and it’s rock solid for me, 100% POE.  1300sqft two story home. I run two AP’s (overkill), one for all of my smart home stuff and one for my personal devices and the devices are VLAN segmented.  I’ve had this configuration now for a bit and no dead spots, no connectivity issues, and speeds are fine.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The new U7-pro is only 2x2 MIMO on the 5GHz band.  You're better off with the U6-pro or U6 LR.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:13:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Luvman:
The new U7-pro is only 2x2 MIMO on the 5GHz band.  You're better off with the U6-pro or U6 LR.  
View Quote

This. I wouldnt bother with 6 ghz or wifi7 yet. In a few years when more devices support these technologies and new 16x16 APs come out, wifi7 will likely blow wifi6/6e out of the water.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate everyone's input.  Wound up going with a Ubiquiti AP6 Pro
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate everyone's input.  Wound up going with a Ubiquiti AP6 Pro
View Quote

Good choice.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Running great, happy with the choice
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Love my U6 Pro.  Hate how how Ubiquity has sucked out of my wallet over the past few months.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

That's most of the struggle!   Glad it's working out for you.  

Typically for home use, it's a toss-up between TP-Link Omada or Ubiquiti.    Just comes down to budget and product availability.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#14]
How far from the "main" AP to the outdoor AP? How many walls inbetween the two? Any dense or metal objects (cars) in the way?

I doubt that you are going to have 20 simultaneously-used devices in a 2000sqft house (though you might have that many, or many more devices connected).

What are these 15-20 devices going to be doing? Just browsing the web? Moving gigantic files around?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top