Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2024 1:10:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP]
I'm struggling greatly trying to make this work properly. I want the ATT box to be in passthrough and just forward everything to my Orbi system and let it handle all routing, security, etc.

I currently have it setup where it's working to a certain extent but I can't remotely access the network. I can't use the native VPN that's built into the Orbit nor can I remote desktop into my home computer when I'm on the road.

Had anyone gotten this to work? It worked great with Comcast cable internet. Google keeps telling me to let the ATT box do everything and just set the Orbi’s to AP mode. I may go down that path but I really was wanting to avoid manually setting all of the routing paths up in the ATT box when they are already setup correctly in the Orbi.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your "public" IP from ATT in the CGNAT range?
100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.25
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jakezor:
View Quote

No, it starts with 165 of 167.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WrightP:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jakezor:

Was just something to check, sounds like it's still between your ISP modem and router then,  unless ISP is outright blocking that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:21:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobfig] [#4]
with mine i have the BWG320-500 in passthough mode to my unifi dream machine just fine. just need to plug wan port of the orbi to any port on the BWG320. log into the BWG320 and go to the ippassthough page and have it pass through to the MAC address of the Orbi.

you will want to set the orbi network to a different range then what the BWG320 uses. like my whole home network is on a 10.0.0.0 style network where as the link between the dream machine and the BWG320 is on the 192.168.1.1 network.

if set up properly the orbi wan port should show the external ip address from ATT
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bobfig:
with mine i have the BWG320-500 in passthough mode to my unifi dream machine just fine. just need to plug wan port of the orbi to any port on the BWG320. log into the BWG320 and go to the ippassthough page and have it pass through to the MAC address of the Orbi.

https://i.imgur.com/WZ1su8i.jpg

you will want to set the orbi network to a different range then what the BWG320 uses. like my whole home network is on a 10.0.0.0 style network where as the link between the dream machine and the BWG320 is on the 192.168.1.1 network.

if set up properly the orbi wan port should show the external ip address from ATT
View Quote

I’ll follow this stuff when I get home. I know that my Orbi does not show the external IP which is the problem. It’s a 192 address. I do have the MAC address or the orbi setup in the ATT modem. The only thing I’m not sure about is if the Cat6 is plugged into the WAN port on the Orbi.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#6]

I’ll follow this stuff when I get home. I know that my Orbi does not show the external IP which is the problem. It’s a 192 address. I do have the MAC address or the orbi setup in the ATT modem. The only thing I’m not sure about is if the Cat6 is plugged into the WAN port on the Orbi.
View All Quotes

Confirmed its setup exactly this way. I do not get the external IP address in the orbi.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:54:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#7]

View All Quotes

What passthrough mode are you using?  If you are setting it to a specific MAC address, make sure you are inputting the Orbi's WAN MAC, not LAN, WLAN, or any other MAC.  If you aren't sure which is which, look at the AT&T DHCP client list to see what MAC the Orbi is using to a request DHCP lease.  Alternatively, you can just set it to dynamic passthrough mode and make sure nothing but the Orbi connects to the ATT device.  After you config this stuff, power the Orbi down, disconnect your laptop or anything else other than the Orbi from the ATT device, reboot ATT, and then power the Orbi back up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a lot of issues getting the ATT passthrough to work.  I think the issue was that I was setting it to a fixed IP address and it seems there is a bug in ATT modems that it will never work that way.

I had to use DHCP IP Address reservation and select the Mac address of my Unifi Router and then everything worked perfect.

My settings on th IP Passthrough page are:

Allocation Mode:  Passthrough

Passthrough Mode: DHCPS-Fixed

There is a pulldown menu below that where you can see devices behind the ATT modem and select your router there.  For me it worked.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

What passthrough mode are you using?  If you are setting it to a specific MAC address, make sure you are inputting the Orbi's WAN MAC, not LAN, WLAN, or any other MAC.  If you aren't sure which is which, look at the AT&T DHCP client list to see what MAC the Orbi is using to a request DHCP lease.  Alternatively, you can just set it to dynamic passthrough mode and make sure nothing but the Orbi connects to the ATT device.  After you config this stuff, power the Orbi down, disconnect your laptop or anything else other than the Orbi from the ATT device, reboot ATT, and then power the Orbi back up.
View Quote

I verified that the passthrough MAC is the WAN MAC for the Oribi. I'm about to reboot everything in the order you noted but I haven't made any changes..

Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Tried moving the passthrough mode to DHCPS-dynamic since the only thing connected to the ATT router is a since Cat 6 cable routed to the Orbi. It's connected to port 2 on the ATT Router and connected to the port noted as "internet" on the Orbi.

I've rebooted 4 times in the following order: ATT->Orbi->Orbi Satellite->everything else.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#11]
Originally Posted By Casey_MS:
There is a pulldown menu below that where you can see devices behind the ATT modem and select your router there.  For me it worked.
View Quote

OP, try doing this instead of typing in the Mac manually.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP] [#12]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Casey_MS:

I did do that. When you have it as "fixed" you do the drop down and it automatically puts it over in the manual window. When you change it to DHCP-Dynamic then that manual window goes away.

I'm going to try to power everything down for a while today, maybe 30 minutes after the changes are made and see if I can get this to work. I'm wondering if there is a memory in the ATT gateway that's now allowing the external IP to be passed through.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP] [#13]
Just went through everything again. Ensured the Mac Address is that of the “internet” port on the Orbi.

Still get the 192.168.1.64 address as the IP for the Orbi. It’s still not passing the external IP address through. I feel like I’m missing something but have done it exactly like y'all and everyone on the internet says.

I’m wondering if a factory reset of both systems will help…
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Update....

I never could get the ATT media converter to properly pass the external IP address through to my Orbit Router system. Which really ticks me off because the ATT router doesn't have uPnP so I have to set all of my ports manually...Blah.

Things are working well other than that but just frustrated with the lack of support their router has and I now remember why I didn't like their interface when I had their DSL service years ago.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My AT&T router that I had connected to fiber was so fucking primitive, and the firmware was so out of date that I had trouble too initially. Make sure you have equipment that isn’t Flintstones era.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
My AT&T router that I had connected to fiber was so fucking primitive, and the firmware was so out of date that I had trouble too initially. Make sure you have equipment that isn’t Flintstones era.
View Quote

thanks for that point. I hope it's not old as it was just installed 10 months ago.

I ended up putting the mesh system in AP mode which is fine but I have to manually setup all of the port forwarding in the ATT modem now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top