Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/14/2019 11:41:48 AM EDT
I purchased a rifle from gunbroker that a PD "accidentally" sold.  I guess the PD realized they screwed up and sold it through a broker and need to get it back.  ATF contacts my FFL and they contact me.

I am told it was a tax seizure case.  I have the court order showing the "Order of Forfeiture" from the original owner.

They want me to sign an abandonment form and an agreement to hold harmless.  They are treating this as an abandonment to the United States Government.

They said they will send an agent with a check on the amount paid.  I told them I want to be reimbursed at market value since it's worth more than I paid.  Their response is they are making me whole on the amount paid.

What are my options?  I don't care enough about it to put up a fight but do want to be treated fairly and compensated fairly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I purchased a rifle from gunbroker that a PD "accidentally" sold.  I guess the PD realized they screwed up and sold it through a broker and need to get it back.  ATF contacts my FFL and they contact me.

I am told it was a tax seizure case.  I have the court order showing the "Order of Forfeiture" from the original owner.

They want me to sign an abandonment form and an agreement to hold harmless.  They are treating this as an abandonment to the United States Government.

They said they will send an agent with a check on the amount paid.  I told them I want to be reimbursed at market value since it's worth more than I paid.  Their response is they are making me whole on the amount paid.

What are my options?  I don't care enough about it to put up a fight but do want to be treated fairly and compensated fairly.
View Quote
Your option is to be made whole again and that is what they are doing
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Count yourelf lucky you're getting a dime. Usually it's just "bend over and smile".
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your option is to be made whole again and that is what they are doing
View Quote
so if you bought 1oz of gold in 2008 for $850 and they want you to surrender it now for $850 when it's worth $1300, there's nothing you can do about it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Time for you to lawyer up and they should pay for that too
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Count yourelf lucky you're getting a dime. Usually it's just "bend over and smile".
View Quote
I did talk to a person who used to work for the broker and they said they are surprised that the ATF is collecting it.  That usually it would go back to the dealer that sold it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've talked to an attorney, just don't care enough about it to put up a fight over it.  I do want a fair settlement though that's achievable.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've talked to an attorney, just don't care enough about it to put up a fight over it.  I do want a fair settlement though that's achievable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How long ago did you buy the gun?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Help me make sure I understand: You bought a rifle off of GunBroker from a Police Department that now tells you they made a mistake and would appreciate your help in making it right, and you want to make sure you profit as much as possible off the mistake. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you want to fight the seizure, that’s one thing, but as a matter of law you’re just going to get back what you paid.  You have a right to be made whole, but not to gain.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
A reasonable man on Arfcom GD  ... Idontbleveit!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
When did you buy it?  Wouldn't the amount you paid be market price?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Ask yourself if you want to piss off the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How long ago did you buy the gun?
View Quote
a little over a year ago
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Take their offer or pepper your anus

They are being nice and could make it miserable for you
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Help me make sure I understand: You bought a rifle off of GunBroker from a Police Department that now tells you they made a mistake and would appreciate your help in making it right, and you want to make sure you profit as much as possible off the mistake. Is that correct?
View Quote
The Police Department sold it off to a broker that sold it on gunbroker.  It is a collectible, not a run of the mill bushmaster of colt 6920 i can easily replace.  I bought it at a discount and the value has since increased.  Not trying to profit off their mistake, trying to get a fair settlement.  See my gold example above.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not how this works...If I make a "mistake", and sell gold at a market low, I don't get to take it back at a market high at the original price. Not to mention the cost of OP's time and the opportunity cost of having his money tied up in the rifle. They fucked up, it's on them to make it right.

ETA: OP, what is the legal status of the rifle? Did they violate department policy in selling it to you? Why do they need it back so bad?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When did you buy it?  Wouldn't the amount you paid be market price?
View Quote
1+ year ago.  There have been a few others since I purchased mine being sold for a higher amount.  This is a collectible and not something you can price out on buds or aimsurplus to determine value.  It's something that hasn't been made in 40 years.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#19]
So it has greatly appreciated in value over the past year? In that case I'd get a lawyer started on it ASAP. It will probably cost you a couple thousand for this time/services, but it'd be well worth it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been playing nice.  I want to know if I'm being screwed.  They have rules they have to play by as well.

I don't have any dogs so I'm good there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So it has greatly appreciated in value over the past year? In that case I'd get a lawyer started on it ASAP. It will probably cost you a couple thousand for this time/services, but it'd be well worth it.
View Quote
It probably has not appreciated enough to offset the cost of an attorney.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Break even and get the man back out of your life?  Take the money and run.
View Quote
And there it is.

Remember, they have unlimited taxpayer provided time and money to fuck with you if they so choose.

Do you?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been playing nice.  I want to know if I'm being screwed.  They have rules they have to play by as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't have a dog, then one will be assigned to you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you want to fight the seizure, that’s one thing, but as a matter of law you’re just going to get back what you paid.  You have a right to be made whole, but not to gain.
View Quote
What is being made whole involves a gain?  See my gold example.  I have to look at replacement cost too.

If I buy gold at $850, now worth $1300 and they give me $850, I can't replace it for less than $1300.  So I have not been made whole.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And there it is.

Remember, they have unlimited taxpayer provided time and money to fuck with you if they so choose.

Do you?
View Quote
Yep that is the likely course of action.  Was wondering if there were any actual attorneys that have dealt with this.  Or someone that can confirm that the ATF is only allowed to reimburse what you paid in a surrender.

Also to comment on the way they are retrieving this firearm with an abandonment form and an agreement to hold harmless.

It's almost like they want me to just give it up and not hold them harmless but they don't have an order for forfeiture or seizure.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#26]
IMHO. Not worth the fight.

Breaking even is better.

Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought The Law(1966)

The Clash - I Fought the Law (Official Video)
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep that is the likely course of action.  Was wondering if there were any actual attorneys that have dealt with this.  Or someone that can confirm that the ATF is only allowed to reimburse what you paid in a surrender.

Also to comment on the way they are retrieving this firearm with an abandonment form and an agreement to hold harmless.

It's almost like they want me to just give it up and not hold them harmless but they don't have an order for forfeiture or seizure.
View Quote
so you buy guns to make a profit?

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And there it is.

Do you?
View Quote
How about unlimited visits from the angry man.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#29]
that is the most probable outcome.

i appreciate the advice everyone.  being GD, i expected more of the lost it in a boating accident or come and take it replies.  

any lawyers want to chime in?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
do you buy guns to lose money when someone makes a mistake and wants them back?  if they lose money, that's fine.  if they appreciate that's fine too.  they are tools and collectibles to me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
oof
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
not my idea of fun.  trying to take the path of least resistance w/o being screwed.  kinda feel like i'm being asked to just take this check and sign a waiver.  these are not the droids you are looking for.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there it is.

Do you?
If you mean the ATF guy, that's a feature.
If you mean the OP, sounds like a great way to get deemed "a risk to himself and others" and have all of his shit removed, for the children.

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

do you buy guns to lose money when someone makes a mistake and wants them back?  if they lose money, that's fine.  if they appreciate that's fine too.  they are tools and collectibles to me.
View Quote
Dude.  I'm trying to help you out.

"Someone" did not make a mistake.

The government did.

And there is no way out of that.  You got a deal.  You can fight.  You may be right.  But they are just too strong.

Be happy you are getting your money back.

My advice.  Worth what you paid for it.

But you talk about making profits on guns and you suddenly look like an unlicensed dealer.  And ATF loves to fuck people on general principle pour encourager les autres
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#35]
After working with the government for the past 20 years, I would simply tell them you are not sure where it is.  They are welcome to look but otherwise you will give them a call if it shows up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After working with the government for the past 20 years, I would simply tell them you are not sure where it is.  They are welcome to look but otherwise you will give them a call if it shows up.
View Quote
Lying to the ATF is a bold strategy, cotton.

Lets see how it pays off for him.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
not my idea of fun.  trying to take the path of least resistance w/o being screwed.  kinda feel like i'm being asked to just take this check and sign a waiver.  these are not the droids you are looking for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are going to get their gun back.  Option A was to ask you nicely

You are being asked to sign away without a lot of paperwork because it is easier for all involved

Their plan B I assure you will not be as friendly.

I would ask for a letter saying you did nothing wrong or illegal - then take the check and be happy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Dude.  I'm trying to help you out.

"Someone" did not make a mistake.

The government did.

And there is no way out of that.  You got a deal.  You can fight.  You may be right.  But they are just too strong.

Be happy you are getting your money back.

My advice.  Worth what you paid for it.

But you talk about making profits on guns and you suddenly look like an unlicensed dealer.  And ATF loves to fuck people on general principle pour encourager les autres
View Quote
Thanks, that's what I figured.  The you may be right but don't have the resources to prove it is the most likely scenario.  No one talked about profits.  Profits occur when you sell, I had no intention of selling.  They are forcing a sale at a value they determined.  Question was if there is a way to challenge that value.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They are going to get their gun back.  Option A was to ask you nicely

You are being asked to sign away without a lot of paperwork because it is easier for all involved

Their plan B I assure you will not be as friendly.

I would ask for a letter saying you did nothing wrong or illegal - then take the check and be happy.
View Quote
Thanks.  Good point on the letter.  Since they are wanting me to sign something to hold them harmless, they should do the same.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks, that's what I figured.  The you may be right but don't have the resources to prove it is the most likely scenario.  No one talked about profits.  Profits occur when you sell, I had no intention of selling.  They are forcing a sale at a value they determined.  Question was if there is a way to challenge that value.
View Quote
Whatever bump you got wouldn't be worth the legal fees and risk unless we are talking some 100K Holland and Holland or NFA items.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lying to the ATF is a bold strategy, cotton.

Lets see how it pays off for him.
View Quote
I dont know, and I am not sure works wonders on a daily basis.

You seem to overestimate the world of GG/GS
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Whatever bump you got wouldn't be worth the legal fees and risk unless we are talking some 100K Holland and Holland or NFA items.
View Quote
agreed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Yuck.

I'd get them off my case ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Too bad you had already started to swap out parts on that rifle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not how this works...If I make a "mistake", and sell gold at a market low, I don't get to take it back at a market high at the original price. Not to mention the cost of OP's time and the opportunity cost of having his money tied up in the rifle. They fucked up, it's on them to make it right.

ETA: OP, what is the legal status of the rifle? Did they violate department policy in selling it to you? Why do they need it back so bad?
View Quote
Not sure what the legal status is.  I believe since it was forfeited to the government in a tax seizure, it's technically the governments that the PD was holding that they mistakingly disposed of.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#46]
So, what is the gun?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't fight with the federal .gov.    You will never, ever win.  Especially not in the long run.

Be thankful you're getting your money back.

Sell it back, be polite, and stfu.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't fight with the federal .gov.    You will never, ever win.  Especially not in the long run.

Be thankful you're getting your money back.

Sell it back, be polite, and stfu.
View Quote
sounds like solid advice there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So, what is the gun?
View Quote
A limited edition collectible made for the collector's market.  Can be a shooter but wasn't marketed as one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Made a mistake, please send back" would not work ANYWHERE ELSE except with a government agency.

Sylvan is right.  I'd take the check and thank them profusely before they come take the rifle and shoot your dog.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top