wonder how long before OP complains to the atf and they stop doing it

eta: i feel your pain though. I waited 220 days for an Efile form 1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wonder how long before OP complains to the atf and they stop doing it

eta: i feel your pain though. I waited 220 days for an Efile form 1
Naw, I got a stack of "is this a brace" letters to go out first.  

You get hosed on the SS Efile F1 deal like two years ago?  I ended up at like 160ish with the SS wait for the Efile system to get up, then the .gov shutdown, then an error.....

Quoted:
What is the difference between a form 1 and 4?

Thanks
F1 is manufacturing an item, F4 is transferring it
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The NFA Branch has 26 examiners last time I heard. In 2018, the last year of published data, they processed 322,692 forms. That means each examiner is averaging nearly 48 a day, and that assumes no vacation or sick days. That is exactly one form every ten minutes.

You people need to lighten up. Sure, they need more examiners, but that’s not the examiners fault or them being lazy. In my book, that’s hauling ass. Just realize that NFA is taking off regardless of what people say. The number of SOT FFLs almost quadrupled in the last ten years.

Write to senators telling them to hire more examiners. Ask for bigger government.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a MG from an individual in another state and get back to me about wait times.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The NFA Branch has 26 examiners last time I heard. In 2018, the last year of published data, they processed 322,692 forms. That means each examiner is averaging nearly 48 a day, and that assumes no vacation or sick days. That is exactly one form every ten minutes.

You people need to lighten up. Sure, they need more examiners, but that’s not the examiners fault or them being lazy. In my book, that’s hauling ass. Just realize that NFA is taking off regardless of what people say. The number of SOT FFLs almost quadrupled in the last ten years.

Write to senators telling them to hire more examiners. Ask for bigger government.
View Quote
322,692 forms?

That’s a lot of infringement
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Simple solution: Buy more suppressors!
View Quote
Or don't follow the rules.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I just submitted for 3 at one time, used the 24 month trust bypass. I can’t wait to see how long these take.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I got mine in 57 days, but but but, it was expedited so not normal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]
You know the last machine gun I bought the transfer took 1 week. You must not know anyone?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While I'm sure it's pretty fucking great to get a call to come pick up the dozen pieces of property that have been held out of your possession for almost a year since you paid your freedom tax, it is however, complete bullshit.

FIRST, the concept of a fucking line.

When a bunch of like minded individuals want something at the same time, we, as civilized motherfuckers, form a line.  First come, first served.  And if you break a deal, face the wheel!  That's right, cutting in line is a breach of the social contract we all abide by, and you fucking know it.  You wouldn't dare cut in the fucking beer line at Shamrocks game now would ya?

SECOND, there's two types of lies, damn lies and what the ATF does to pad their fucking approval times!  When dudes are getting 32, 57 and 76 day approvals, it kinda fucks with the averages.  But hey, it's all about those TPS reports and they don't lie, productivity is up and efficiency is priority one, as well getting your funding approved for next year.

So, while us poors are sitting here waiting out our full 9 month plus waits on one or two cans, and you 1%ers are out having fun playing with your shit, you remember me, the dude giving you the stink eye cause I fucking saw you cut in the beer line.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

322,692 forms?

That’s a lot of infringement
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Lol, actually that is pretty impressive, and a cool $64m in stamps that didn't even put a dent in their operating costs
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You joke...but I file a congressional complaint at about the 6 month mark for every stamp I submit.  It should not take as long as it does to get a tax stamp back.  If the IRS can process a refund in a couple months then the ATF do the same...
View Quote
Have those congressional complaints worked to get your NFA items approved?

And for this thread's sake my Efile Form 1 was approved in 3 weeks this summer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123106/so_good_png-1256502.JPG

Lol, actually that is pretty impressive, and a cool $64m in stamps that didn't even put a dent in their operating costs
View Quote
You assume all forms have $200 that comes with it.

AOW is $5 and I assume 5320.20s are included in those stats and those are free. Heck I’m responsible for quite a few of those myself.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1) Pretty sure they did away with this exactly because of whiners like you
and
2) It's a net positive for everyone.  The time it takes to find other forms in the stack and sign them at the same time is peanuts to starting the whole process over again, ergo the line as a whole moves faster.  If you get "skipped", it didn't actually impact your approval time at all, but it IMPROVED the approval time for anyone that was behind both forms, because it was 2 completed in the time of 1.
View Quote
“BuT My fORm 4 iS oLDeR ThAN yORrS!!!”
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
HAHA, i get approvals in one day.  Become an 01/03 and you can too!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#15]
This is why I got into Form1 cans. 2 weeks to 30 days for approval. I now am only a couple cans away from a can for every AR.... which is A LOT
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#16]
imagine the lead time getting health care approved by the .gov........... this is a bunch of horse sh!t........
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Count your blessing you can buy them.
View Quote
Exactly. I can't even have a friggin' threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
No..but it’s a pain in ATF leaderships side because they’re mandated to reply. If everyone complained it would get fixed. Squeaky gear gets the lube.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Exactly. I can't even have a friggin' threaded barrel.
View Quote
I’m sure there’s a uhaul center within 10 miles of your house, and a realtor too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No..but it's a pain in ATF leaderships side because they're mandated to reply. If everyone complained it would get fixed. Squeaky gear gets the lube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No..but it's a pain in ATF leaderships side because they're mandated to reply. If everyone complained it would get fixed. Squeaky gear gets the lube.
Maybe I will give it a try in 4 months when I hit 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What other govt form processing takes a year for a simple background check?

Serious
View Quote
Took 9 months for approval of my brewery license through the TTB. My boiler install approval (not inspection of installed boiler) would have taken 4 months had I not shown up at the state office as it was only 10 min away from my brewery location.

I’m not justifying the wait times, I have a Vox S at 257 days since payment processing. I’m just saying that bitching here to others that have the same opinion doesn’t do shit. OP needs to bitch to his senators and congressional rep. The unfortunate reality is that there are shithead govt employees slow rolling work because they can. Maybe the guy “that skipped to the front of the line” was dropped onto the desk of someone who actually cranks out forms. I certainly didn’t. Sure they recently played games with approvals. In their infinite wisdom they likely gave new people new forms and left the much older forms dying on a shithead’s desk. It lacks logic and common sense. Trying to fix it will take someone making it a priority in the bureaucratic monster.

We should be able to walk in to a shop or go on a website and buy them like a handguard or a grip. Not even a 4473 but that’s not the world we’re in right now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:32:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Maybe I will give it a try in 4 months when I hit 6 months.
View Quote
It doesn’t cost anything. I thought about starting a group encouraging people to do so. Enough is enough.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is why I got into Form1 cans. 2 weeks to 30 days for approval. I now am only a couple cans away from a can for every AR.... which is A LOT
View Quote
Can I borrow your lathe?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Why are you the way that you are.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Stagger them out so every month or every other month toy have a can coming in. I've got 9 in jail right now and I do an SBR or SBS in the months between to have something else to work on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would like to eventually build a bunch of Form 1 suppressors, but got such good deals on some of my Form 4 suppressors that it was well worth the wait.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I got screwed over..

425 days from check cashed to approval
CC date was spring 2018
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stagger them out so every month or every other month toy have a can coming in. I've got 9 in jail right now and I do an SBR or SBS in the months between to have something else to work on.
View Quote
Okay batcher...…

I'm gonna go to silencershop and fantasize about the 9 cans I'd have in the queue, if I had 9 in the queue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can I borrow your lathe?
View Quote
With today’s market you really don’t need one. Drill guides are available and cheap for precision boring of the baffles, but I’ve done it with just a drill press and step bits. Top quality parts are available. It is easy to “build” (assemble and drill) a top notch can these days.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#30]
For those with the book of faces...I created a group to discuss ways to bring attention to protracted NFA wait times. Feel free to join me and possibly bring some change about...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/197321074795071/?ref=share
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This should be good
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Buy a MG from an individual in another state and get back to me about wait times.
View Quote
Doing that now.  With the added wrinkle of it being the dealer on his end hasn't actually done a transfer before and is apparently extremely forgetful.  Bought back at the very beginning of June.  It's not even at my dealer yet.

Worst part is there's a suppressor included in the deal, and because of the feet dragging it's extremely unlikely to get through the ATF before they are banned here, even if I filed my forms today.  It looks like I might have to bug a buddy from out of state to add to my trust and submit his info to ATF.  Of course the upside for him would be he gets physical possession of an MP5SD...

I really should have bought a rifle suppressor a while back like I've been meaning to, to "hold my place in line".  If they are even still doing this.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I just submitted for 3 at one time, used the 24 month trust bypass. I can’t wait to see how long these take.
View Quote
the wat now?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:12:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
More examiners isn't the answer.

Automation is.

It's a pretty simple thing to automate. It should be done such that you can get your stamp back and run your NICS check same day - there's no reason holding us back from this other than government incompetence.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:19:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

With today’s market you really don’t need one. Drill guides are available and cheap for precision boring of the baffles, but I’ve done it with just a drill press and step bits. Top quality parts are available. It is easy to “build” (assemble and drill) a top notch can these days.
View Quote
Researching those may fill up my weekend. If you feel like passing any specifics or guidance along it would be appreciated. I’ll start in the BIY suppressor forum as I’m sure there will be at minimum some decent starting info there.

Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Boo phuqing hoo! I have a state enhanced concealed permit, and a security clearance (i.e. FBI back ground ck) and still have to wait just as long as everybody else!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.

Mine took nearly two full years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What is the difference between a form 1 and 4?

Thanks
View Quote
Maker vs. transfer of existing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Researching those may fill up my weekend. If you feel like passing any specifics or guidance along it would be appreciated. I’ll start in the BIY suppressor forum as I’m sure there will be at minimum some decent starting info there.

View Quote
FB groups are super helpful on the F1 front. Suppliers are constantly changing, so recommendations from 6 months ago may not be valid anymore.

Form1 Suppressor Builders is a pretty good one to join.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
the wat now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the wat now?
When you get an approval, you can use that to bypass the Trust check when you submit a new Form whatever. So it’s still a Trust submission, but it’s treated like an individual in terms of “fast track”. The ATF examiner doesn’t have to take the time and effort for a Trust check, they can push it through faster.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I always have three or so cans in the pipe line. I never get batch approvals. Just one at a time every 8-9 months.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Bulk approval?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Count your blessing you can buy them.
View Quote
I don't think that's how it's supposed to work...
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bulk approval?
View Quote
When the ATF notices that you have a bunch of form 4's out they'll approve them all at once instead of doing them one by one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Day 91 on my Form 4 GSL Phoenix silencer.  I called yesterday for shits and giggles. Still pending.
Day 24 for my Form 1 silencer, still waiting.  On the Armory section there is a thread on wait times. A Form 1 from Jan 2nd was approved yesterday. Sent mine in on the 7th.  Hopefully next week.
My SBR Form 1 took 45 days, but there was Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day thrown in on the mix.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How many suppressors do I need to buy at once for it to be considered "bulk?"
View Quote
I had 4 in the pipe. Got one approval. Called and asked if they would do the others too and was told “we don’t do that”
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

?
View Quote
Its twice as long if not more than a normal form 4

Form 4 to dealer. Form 3 dealer to dealer. Finally form 4 to be owner
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When the ATF notices that you have a bunch of form 4's out they'll approve them all at once instead of doing them one by one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bulk approval?
And that upset people?

Seems like the actual problem of shitty govt workers was explained.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top