Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 3/26/2024 11:13:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TallLankey]
What personal hygiene products can I take and use the duration of my stay? Also what type of hygiene products can I buy at the exchange when I first get there? I know these seem like silly girly concerns but I get super bad acne and use a specific non rx face wash daily.

First Assessment UNAB
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone will tell you exactly what you need, and can and can't buy at the PX.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:22:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MJ11B4P] [#2]
You lost me at Ft Moore. Sorry.

On a serious note… if you are going to enlisted OSUT, you will be given a shopping list and an opportunity to go to the PX at reception or soon thereafter. If you have acne problems, get an Rx from your doctor and bring a 90-day supply with you. You can get it refilled from the medical clinic when needed.

Otherwise, you will probably be SOL if you need a specific non-arc product.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:24:11 PM EDT
[#3]
22 weeks, oh what fun and joy that would be.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By just-mike:
View Quote
This.  You are going to get a new "life coach".
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:25:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TallLankey] [#5]
Plus two weeks for some other BAT training thing as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By just-mike:
View Quote

This.

Don't sweat it. Do what you're told. Don't quit.

Have fun, OP.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:29:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Got the good news today. I ship middle of next month. I’m leaving behind a 80k a year cushy job (that I hate) that I’ve been doing the last 9 years. I wasn’t fulfilled. I always wanted to join since the Rambo days and well, I guess it’s time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TallLankey:
Got the good news today. I ship middle of next month. I’m leaving behind a 80k a year cushy job (that I hate) that I’ve been doing the last 9 years. I wasn’t fulfilled. I always wanted to join since the Rambo days and well, I guess it’s time.
View Quote

Good on you!

It'll be the best worst decision of your life.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Best of luck.  

Baby wipes are awesome.

Foot powder.

Mole skin / band aids for blisters.

Small tube of vaseline.

I'm sure you will get a list of any contraband items.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:32:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoubleARon] [#10]
Soap dish, bar soap, tooth brush, tooth paste. Maybe a small tube of sun screen.

ETA: They'll take you to the store where you can get stuff you need or restock on stuff you run out of.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Trust me I know I’ll regret joining, but I have to find out for myself. It’s my childhood dream. So fuck it!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Trust me I know I’ll regret joining, but I have to find out for myself. It’s my childhood dream. So fuck it!
View Quote

You probably won't regret joining.

I always wanted to be a soldier growing up, too. So I did it!

You'll do it, too!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:36:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#13]
OK I didnt Google it. Where is Fort Moore?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

You probably won't regret joining.

I always wanted to be a soldier growing up, too. So I did it!

You'll do it, too!
View Quote

Thanks man
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks man
View Quote

No problemo!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TallLankey] [#16]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
View Quote

Where peaches come from

Edit: Ok I just googled it. This was actually Ft Benning. I guess it was a casualty of 2020 and got renamed. Honestly just found that out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Fort Benning.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Fort Benning.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:39:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#19]

Fort Benning.
View Quote

FUCK

OP You wont regret it. Best few short years in my life were as an Infantryman

As for what to bring? BAsic toiletries and a few bucks to pay for your haircut. Yes they made us pay for our fucking haircuts. No one brought any cash lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Skip the nonsense, go straight to Sgt. Airborne, tell him you want to be there instead. Besides, it’s only 3 weeks! Haha! Have fun. I did!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Hygiene products?!?

View Quote

Last thing I want is the drill sergeant to start asking why my face is all red, and get sent to medical.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Good on you!

It'll be the best worst decision of your life.
View Quote
There will be many days when you will ask yourself "what the fuck was I thinking"  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Idk I havent been to Ft Benning in 20 years
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:44:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#25]

FUCK

As for what to bring? BAsic toiletries and a few bucks to pay for your haircut. Yes they made us pay for our fucking haircuts. No one brought any cash lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

FUCK

Basically this.

OP, bring a couple changes of clothes and what you need to wash yourself.

Everything, and I MEAN EVERYTHING, you will need will be provided to you at Reception before OSUT begins. The cadre will outline what you will be able to keep or get within your first days there. Bring the bare essentials, there's less baggage that way. Your Recruiters can provide you with a packing list if you ask.

Originally Posted By ricko1:
There will be many days when you will ask yourself "what the fuck was I thinking"  

MANY DAYS.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Last thing I want is the drill sergeant to start asking why my face is all red, and get sent to medical.
View Quote

They would give zero fucks at Benning, IDK about Moore.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:47:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#27]
It’s been a while since I was at OSUT but one thing you should definitely pack is a big canister of Anti Monkey Butt Powder. I managed to get a can from home through in processing and I was selling it at $2 a splash before long ruck marches. That’s not to say it’s a money making venture, just that it’s extremely nice to have when your thighs feel like hamburger meat from all the PT. You should probably bring some “good” soap or body wash if you can - we were buying the Old Spice 3-in-1 at the PX and while it’s passable to get clean with its not very good soap. Other than that, they should be able to supply you with decent acne medication - if it’s real bad they can prescribe something. You could try taking whatever you like to use but it’s 50:50 you get to keep it.

Also, you’re not supposed to pack too much cash but make sure everything you do bring is in small bills like 1’s and 5’s. It’s hard to make change during training and sometimes it’s useful. You don’t want to pay $20 for a pocket full of emergency shit tickets if the guy who has them would take $2 or 5.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#28]
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431:

Attachment Attached File

Originally Posted By HammerHammer:
It’s been a while since I was at OSUT but one thing you should definitely pack is a big canister of Anti Monkey Butt Powder. I managed to get a can from home through in processing and I was selling it at $2 a splash before long ruck marches. That’s not to say it’s a money making venture, just that it’s extremely nice to have when your thighs feel like hamburger meat from all the PT. You should probably bring some “good” soap or body wash if you can - we were buying the Old Spice 3-in-1 at the PX and while it’s passable to get clean with its not very good soap. Other than that, they should be able to supply you with decent acne medication - if it’s real bad they can prescribe something.

This is also true, OP. Regardless of what some people experience, the medical care is actually not bad. It's not good, but it is adequate.

They need you to be effective and being sick or injured is not something they want to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Try to workout as much a possible before you go (without getting hurt). It’s a lot better when your in shape.

As I remember you can’t really bring shit in.

Good luck and keep us posted.  Like others said just don’t quit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#30]
What about breaking my apartment lease? Any advice on how that goes? I go to meps next week to sign, since the cut off day for this week was yesterday and I guess Friday is a holiday. But once I sign what do I need to show my apartment manager ?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:54:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#31]
Originally Posted By Glock4140:

Try to workout as much a possible before you go (without getting hurt). It’s a lot better when your in shape.

View All Quotes

They allow a lot more stuff than when I went in '07, but everything they'll be allowed should be outlined by the cadre in Reception like it was for us. Everything else will be in "secured" storage.

What about breaking my apartment lease? Any advice on how that goes? I go to meps next week to sign, since the cut off day for this week was yesterday and I guess Friday is a holiday. But once I sign what do I need to show my apartment manager ?

By law, you should be allowed to break your lease without penalty because it's for military reasons. Let them know when you'll be out and that it's for the military. Show him your orders or your shipping documents. Verify that, though. I know it's true for active duty, but I'm not sure about shipping to Basic.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
This is what awaits you

The best and most fucked up brotherhood around.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Just thought about that. I should be ok but def need to start working out daily. I’m 5 9 160ish and always been able to move. I ran a Spartan race last year with one month prior training and did ok. I made it in the highlight photos lol. But yeah will do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Just tell them you’re joining the military and you need to end the lease early. Any halfway decent apartment manager will be happy you told them well in advance so they can plan to rent it again and probably won’t charge you anything. If they give you a hard time then ask your recruiter because they deal with it all the time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By moximouse:
This is what awaits you

The best and most fucked up brotherhood around.
View Quote

A little too much Cav Scout in that dialog.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Just thought about that. I should be ok but def need to start working out daily. I’m 5 9 160ish and always been able to move. I ran a Spartan race last year with one month prior training and did ok. I made it in the highlight photos lol. But yeah will do.
View Quote

You'll probably gain wait in OSUT. It'll be muscle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:..... Your Recruiters can provide you with a packing list if you ask.

View Quote

I always got a kick out of the small black plastic comb on the list lol. Like WTF was I gonna do with that in basic
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:02:22 AM EDT
[#38]

You'll probably gain wait in OSUT. It'll be muscle.
View Quote

Based off your user name, I assume you’re 11B? All this is starting to make sense now. Seeing a lot of that in other user names as well now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Yeah you will be fine, I’d just start doing daily pushups, sit-ups, pull ups, flutter kicks and running if your not already doing it.  

Also might wanna try to walk in boots with some sort of backpack on.

Not sure if your an early riser but might be a good idea to start waking up at 0430, lots of new soldiers had an issue with that.

It’s honestly pretty easy if your not a fat body osut is a good program and it’s setup to turn a lazy civilian into an 11bravo
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:04:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#41]

Based off your user name, I assume you’re 11B? All this is starting to make sense now. Seeing a lot of that in other user names as well now.
View Quote

Yep.

Lots of good infantry guys here on arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:12:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TallLankey] [#42]
I got the temporary reservation for 3 years, but want to sign for 6. My recruiter said I should be able to get the permanent reservation for 6 years at meps, and the six year bonus but how do I make sure that happens?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

It’s the fort formerly known as “Benning,” now living under an assumed name in the federal witness protection program.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:

It’s the fort formerly known as “Benning,” now living under an assumed name in the federal witness protection program.
View Quote

2020, it was real.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#45]
You're skin's gonna be pretty fucked then.  Unless you're getting infections and looking like ass they won't send you to sick call.  You can voluntarily go....but you're not gonna likely get your special skin care stuff.  Doubt they even sell it at the shopette.

Granted I went 16 years ago now, and it's a "different" Army. So you'll find out when you get there.

Out of curiosity...what was your GT score?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#46]

This.

Don't sweat it. Do what you're told. Don't quit.

Have fun, OP.
View Quote

The simplicity of it was beautiful, wasn’t it? Don’t think life has ever been that simple since then.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#47]
I got the temporary reservation for 3 years, but want to sign for 6. My recruiter said I should be able to get the permanent reservation for 6 years at meps, and the six year bonus but how do I make sure that happens?
View Quote
LMFAO if it's not in writing then it's not happening.  Don't put ANY faith in that being the case.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:19:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#48]
View All Quotes

If it's not in writing, it isn't guaranteed. The recruiter may tell you something that isn't available after processing at MEPS. All bonuses are received after you have been at your unit after OSUT. The payment will be split. Use the enlistment term to your advantage.

If you want something different after 3 years, you can reclass or you can stay infantry and get another enlistment bonus, but that's not a guarantee. Some years there's bonuses, some there's not and some are only available to certain MOS's.

If you want to enlist 6 and get that bonus, get it in writing. The MEPS guy will sign you up, but may not have what you want exactly.

Originally Posted By dbrad197:

The simplicity of it was beautiful, wasn’t it? Don’t think life has ever been that simple since then.

Sure was.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Fort Benning.
View All Quotes

Fort Benning.

For the rest of my days, I will always say I attended Basic Training at Ft. Benning.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:25:25 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

God bless and good luck.

Enlisting in the Army was one of the greatest things I've ever done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top