Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2020 11:41:40 AM EDT
I have a boat lift I bought last year with a power lift add on.

The lift motor is 110v and it is not feasible to run power to it.

Converting to a DC motor unit [motor and gearbox] is not cheap.

I need a deep cycle and a solar charger and battery box to run DC anyways.

I am thinking I could buy a cheap 3000w inverter and put it in its own battery box.

Motor is rated for 13.9A max or 1530W.

What says the hive?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
A cheap inverter won't work. You need a more expensive pure sine wave inverter. Motors don't like the modified sine waves that cheap inverters put out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A cheap inverter won't work. You need a more expensive pure sine wave inverter. Motors don't like the modified sine waves that cheap inverters put out.
View Quote

I thought pure sign wave was for laptops and so forth... an induction motor doesn't like the shitty wave form?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I thought pure sign wave was for laptops and so forth... an induction motor doesn't like the shitty wave form?
View Quote

Same.  That's a confusing answer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I would bet a motor lifting a boat will draw enough at startup to trip that inverter.   Does the motor have LRA stamped on the nameplate?  That will be the startup draw.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I think a 100W solar panel to charge two 6 V golf cart batteries and a nice 1500W +/- inverter would do the trick.  You may not need a pure sine wave, but might as well spend that money now, or you may waste it if your lift doesn't like the  modified sine wave.

I just bought a 1000W Xantrex inverter and am happy with how it runs a 900W microwave and Keurig.  

Renogy solar panels worked well for me, but there are tons of options out there these days.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Looking at it again, it is a brushed motor... I wonder if it is a universal type since they make these kits in AC or DC... I am going to take it home from the lake and see if it will run on DC.

No tag on the motor anywhere just the rating on a gfci.

If is a universal motor I doubt it would care what the inverter puts out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lots of things don't like modified sine waves. Motors hate them most of all. Motors running on modified sign wave run rougher and hotter. Now I saw that it is a brushed motor. Those can run on DC in some cases. I don't have experience running those on inverters but it might do alright in that case.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty decent size motor for a 120v one.  I’m a damn good electrician with a lot of experience in motors and controls, although never that small a motor.    I doubt that will work, but I’ve never tried it.   The kicker will be if the inverter can keep up with the start up load, which is likely to be several times the full load amps.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you going to lift a boat with it? You know boat ownership is never cheap.

Bust Out Another Thousand.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at the modified sine wave, you'll see, it is a hard turn positive from zero crossing, then a flat top for a few milliseconds, then a hard turn to zero volts where it hangs out for a couple millisecods and then a hard turn negative where it has a flat bottom for a few milliseconds and then a hard turn back to zero volts. There are a lot of nasty odd order harmonics in there. That makes the motor (or anything) run hotter than it would with a smooth transitioning sine wave.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I drew a red mark to show what it is trying to immitate......

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
What about using a vfd fed from the inverter?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Pretty decent size motor for a 120v one.  I’m a damn good electrician with a lot of experience in motors and controls, although never that small a motor.    I doubt that will work, but I’ve never tried it.   The kicker will be if the inverter can keep up with the start up load, which is likely to be several times the full load amps.
View Quote

Kinda my point in starting this thread, I know some people have run a lot of stuff off of inverters...  maybe I can pull this off, maybe not.  

I brought it to my healing bench so I could measure no load current and see if it will turn on DC. I was just running it on the wall outlet with the forward reverse switch and it is a high speed motor.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Kinda my point in starting this thread, I know some people have run a lot of stuff off of inverters...  maybe I can pull this off, maybe not.  

I brought it to my healing bench so I could measure no load current and see if it will turn on DC. I was just running it on the wall outlet with the forward reverse switch and it is a high speed motor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would try to put some kind of load on it to simulate what your boat lift may have and if you have an amp clamp, see what it is drawing. Hopefully the Amp clamp will have a max/min function to see what peak draw happens to be.

ETA, just keep in mind, whatever you get from regular commercial AC, add a little cushion to it to account for the greater inneficency of the MSW inverter (if you go the cheaper route)
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you look at the modified sine wave, you'll see, it is a hard turn positive from zero crossing, then a flat top for a few milliseconds, then a hard turn to zero volts where it hangs out for a couple millisecods and then a hard turn negative where it has a flat bottom for a few milliseconds and then a hard turn back to zero volts. There are a lot of nasty odd order harmonics in there. That makes the motor (or anything) run hotter than it would with a smooth transitioning sine wave.

https://i.imgur.com/6NkujLG.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSW is ok for everything but the most sensitive electronics.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ok, but not great, not even good, but it works in most cases.. It makes everything run hotter. If you constistantly run something off of one, it will likely have a shorter lifespan because of increased thermal stress. Your inefficiency almost always manifests itself as heat.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Just buy a smoke and noise generator from a big box store and run it when you need to lift the boat?

It's probably much cheaper than buying batteries, a charger and solar panels alone, nevermind the cost of a decent inverter of the size you'll need.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just buy a smoke and noise generator from a big box store and run it when you need to lift the boat?

It's probably much cheaper than buying batteries, a charger and solar panels alone, nevermind the cost of a decent inverter of the size you'll need.
View Quote

I have seen an ad for just that at HF
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's ok, but not great, not even good, but it works in most cases.. It makes everything run hotter. If you constistantly run something off of one, it will likely have a shorter lifespan because of increased thermal stress. Your inefficiency almost always manifests itself as heat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fine.  

OP - one motor?  not four?  Soft start systems solve the LRA problem if there is one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's fine.  

OP - one motor?  not four?  Soft start systems solve the LRA problem if there is one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fine.  

It's really crap, but it gets the job done.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fine.  

MSW inverters power computers safely.

What more do you want?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What more do you want?
View Quote

I wouldn't think twice about running a light bulb or even some cheap electronics continuously from one. Anything else though, other than short term, intermittant use, no thanks.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I wouldn't think twice about running a light bulb or even some cheap electronics continuously from one. Anything else though, other than short term, intermittant use, no thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What more do you want?

You're treating MSW as if they are square wave.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is from RV systems material.  All RVs have MSW and run all those things in them without problems.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What more do you want?

You're treating MSW as if they are square wave.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300350/Screen_Shot_2020-05-27_at_18_56_12_png-1435196.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300350/Screen_Shot_2020-05-27_at_18_56_58_png-1435197.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300350/Screen_Shot_2020-05-27_at_18_57_32_png-1435198.JPG

This is from RV systems material.  All RVs have MSW and run all those things in them without problems.

That's fine and dandy, but, especially for motors, transformers and inductors, they still flail in comparison.

Pretend you are riding a stationary bicycle. You could put a pen on one of the pedals and a moving paper graph underneath. Under ideal conditions, you would draw a perfect sine wave on the graph. Imagine the inefficency of having to pedal hard, relaxing and then pedaling real hard and then relaxing and so on and so forth throughout the stroke. It's not very efficient, to say the least. Yes you will hve some momentum to help, but there will be a certain amount of losses by going the choppy route, vs the smoothe. I'm not saying it won't work, it very much will, but much less than ideal.......

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Battery cable sizing for OP:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Just use a cheap generator. Probably be cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just use a cheap generator. Probably be cheaper.
View Quote

Probably
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top