Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 10:20:40 PM EDT
All of my guns have had H2's in them.

H to H2 have all run everything I've thrown in them including cheap steel 223.

Does buffer weight matter with a semi auto?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It will get your attention when it does.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It matters at either ends of weather conditions, at altitude and as well as how clean or dirty the gun is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
For those who have been intrigued by the OP but don't know the answer to the question:

use the heaviest buffer you can get your grubby little paws on that still lets your gun run.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
It definitely makes a difference with a can.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used only H2's in all the AR's I have had for many years now.  Never a problem and they do help reduce recoil some, which translates to less impact and beating of internal components.  On an AR pistol or a heavy-er barrel AR carbine I would consider it mandatory.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those who have been intrigued by the OP but don't know the answer to the question:

use the heaviest buffer you can get your grubby little paws on that still lets your gun run.
View Quote

Okay, but why?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
A good buffer spring should not be forgotten as well, like Sprinco's.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Buffer springs and buffers help adjust the timing.

A lot of rifles have a pretty wide window. Heavy, light? They will run fine.

Some have a more narrow window for a variety of reasons. That’s where being able to tweak spring and buffer weight become important.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It will get your attention when it does.
View Quote
yep.

def matters in my short guns
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Buffer springs and buffers help adjust the timing.

A lot of rifles have a pretty wide window. Heavy, light? They will run fine.

Some have a more narrow window for a variety of reasons. That's where being able to tweak spring and buffer weight become important.
View Quote

Shouldn't there be some hard fast rules though.

I know gas port size could be an issue but rarely do any factory guns come with more than an H1.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Standard carbine buffer + agb for me.

Least recoil with a properly adjusted gas block (without resorting to non standard buffers, springs, or carriers), and with a quick turn of an Allen wrench (kept in the pistol grip) it can run  dirty, in adverse conditions, or with light loads without having to worry about changing parts.  

I checked, and I can't quite fit a full selection of buffers in my MIAD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know gas port size could be an issue but rarely do any factory guns come with more than an H1.
View Quote

Generally speaking decent bolt velocity is a good thing. Let’s you run while being dirty, with weaker ammo, ext.

For example, my mk18 was running a springco and a h3. Pretty oversized gas port, so I wanted to try and give it plenty of spring. Recoil was great and smooth, but when it got really crummy it would start to have failures to feed.

Swapped to a colt carbine and h2 buffer and it ran flawlessly.

That’s probably part of the reason most rifles don’t leave the factory with a stiffer spring/heavier buffer. Having slightly too much bolt velocity doesn’t lead to a rifle coming back. Too little does.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really. Think of it as “tolerance stacking” in the machining/engineering world. There are literally probably a million different combinations to be had with this platform.

Off the shelf stock/factory guns generally fall into the “mil spec” guidelines, and work just fine with standard buffers. Start changing shit, and a different buffer may be needed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I use Spikes T2's in most of mine, but have H in a few.  My ejection patterns all are about the same.  
Guy at my gun club had a FA & it was suffering from bolt bounce bad.  He had to use an H2 & that fixed that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
no fat chicks
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:15:06 AM EDT
[#17]
16 to 11.5 run an H buffer.
10.5 H2
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It definitely makes a difference with a can.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#19]
SBR’s and suppressed absolutely.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I run my adjustable gas ARs with empty C buffers.  I usually default to an H1 or H2 with fixed gasport guns, esp if using a can.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#21]
In a properly gassed unsuppressed semi-auto?

It really doesn’t matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top