Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:40:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
As far as your main inner structure, I wouldn't go with 2X4's.  Over time a 2X4 can warp.  With the inner structure warping, you can get exterior cracking.  How about aluminum tubes?  Or even a plywood backbone that won't warp?
View Quote

You've got me thinking about this, but I'll post a very poor drawing of what I've got in my head and see what you think.   I'm going to build a box structure inside, surrounded by the 18 plywood rings.   Then on the outside of the rings, I'm going to run 1x2s at the 2,4,8 and 10 oclock positions for support.   I'm thinking it should be pretty solid, especially if the boat is divided into two parts, with two cables each to hang it.

obviously not drawn to scale, or with any skill.   Sorry, just something quick.

More what I was thinking, flat top on the rings, not round.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Most awesome school ever!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:19:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottsGT] [#3]
Simply substitute the 2X4's with 3/4" X 4" plywood. I would also glue some plywood 3/4" by 2" stringers on the main plywood backbones for strength. One down each side, kind of a + pattern if viewed from the front.  Think of the plywood structure laying on it's side and picking it up. It will bend/flex.  with stringers glued to the side of it, it gives it lateral strength. Use cabinet grade plywood, not sheeting grade.  Cabinet grade has more layers inside of it.
FWIW, I use to blow up small scale R/C airplanes and build giant scale out of them.  These kind of structure changes were necessary when you are making things much larger than the original 1/8 scale aircraft.
EDIT:  I see exterior stringers on the bulkheads. Never mind about the stringers on the backbone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Simply substitute the 2X4's with 3/4" X 4" plywood. .
View Quote

Ok, let me make sure I'm reading your right.  

Just 3/4" wide for the main beam?   Shouldn't I double them , and come up with 1 1/2" x4"?    

Somewhere on the boat, probably the 2 oclock position, I'm going to need a 2/4 that I can run my hanging bolts through.   This probably needs to run most of the length to help dissipate the weight along the boat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
What about one of the pre-engineered beams they use in home construction?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Why a German submarine?

Why not an American (USN) WWII submarine?

Seriously.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
Why a German submarine?

Seriously.
View Quote

Addressed this earlier in the thread.   Sorry.   It's going to be German.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By guns762:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Why a German submarine?

Seriously.

U-505?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#10]
OST!

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:30:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: disorientedpilot] [#11]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The Dragon build was awesome!  This will be another great build, In!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By disorientedpilot:
Tag. I've got a huge Gato sub model I am waiting to build... Along with a 1/48 C-130.

I need to figure out how to do special decals to make it match ones I have flown.  Any ideas on that art teacher?
View Quote

Create your own on Cafe Press.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought about designing and building a Lego U-Boat after my 5ish foot Nautilus (20K version) submarine was completed a few months ago.

I just don't have the time or money right now.

This thread may change my mind.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
In 1989, I got to go on a summer exchange trip to West Germany, mainly.

We got to tour the Bavaria Film Studio (Bayerische Filmstadt).  That is where they filmed Das Boot.

I am thinking if you poked around the internet, assuming the Bayerische Filmstadt is still open, that they would have pictures of the sub they used for that.

We got to tour that sub, but I can't remember if it was a real sub, full scale, or what.  I think it was in a tank of water, so I would imagine  a good 60 to 70% wasn't visible from the outside

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By Brohawk:

Also addressed earlier.  
View Quote
FYI, a Type IX would have easier lines to build.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I loved the Viking ship and stagecoach threads, how in the hell did I miss the dragon one?

I'm so in for this one!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I spent too much time with this today cutting out individual cross sections and taping left and right sides together.    At least we now have cross sections silhouettes to make stencils out of for each rib.   Now I've just got to figure out how to keep them all the same scale when we use the projector.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#19]
You sir are a certified nutcase .

In a good way

Yup, this is a tag

math class is loseing out.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:47:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2T2_Crash] [#20]
Originally Posted By disorientedpilot:
Tag. I've got a huge Gato sub model I am waiting to build... Along with a 1/48 C-130.

I need to figure out how to do special decals to make it match ones I have flown.  Any ideas on that art teacher?
View Quote

Where'd you get the Herc kit?

OP: those projects are absolutely amazing!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I spent too much time with this today cutting out individual cross sections and taping left and right sides together.    At least we now have cross sections silhouettes to make stencils out of for each rib.   Now I've just got to figure out how to keep them all the same scale when we use the projector.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/712/20692988308_0109d9b728_b.jpg
View Quote

That's the template diagram you need. Do you know how the scale translates?

The projector is a nice tool to have, just make sure you draw reference grid lines on the target sheet so you can keep the scale consistent. Should that prove difficult, you can blow up and print out that template. Print as many copies as you have bulkheads and pin or glue the sheets to the blanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MSC182:
I love these threads.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I had these printed up by the graphics teacher to display for tomorrow's opening day.  

I've found that if we measure this in inches and multiply it by 9.3, we get the correct scale.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cgrant26:

The projector is a nice tool to have, just make sure you draw reference grid lines on the target sheet so you can keep the scale consistent. Should that prove difficult, you can blow up and print out that template. Print as many copies as you have bulkheads and pin or glue the sheets to the blanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cgrant26:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/712/20692988308_0109d9b728_b.jpg

I think I'll be ok.  I'll try and make sure the grid lines are all the same scale when I have the kids blow these up.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By nhsport:

In a good way

Yup, this is a tag

View Quote

It does make the year interesting.  Hard to get bored with my job when we do something like this.

Just wish I could get other teachers in my building as excited about it as I am.  They all think I'm nuts too.  I will say, it's much easier for me to do crazy projects as opposed to the core classes that are kind of locked into their curriculum.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CombatMP:

Here's my idea after reading what others said.

Make it like a halfway diorama. Have the U-boat sorta diving and listed on an angle trying to avoid a few sea mines in front of it.

If you could have the robotics team set up a audible Ping! and then an alarm, dive dive dive in german. That would be awesome

To add to it I would set up a film of clear blue cellophane across the ceiling a few feet above the sub to simulate the ocean surface. Maybe crumple it for texture and with the skylight it would look awesome.

I'd also "float" the mines from fishing wire in the path of the sub and have the chain bolting them to the sea floor end above the students heads so they don't constantly walk into it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CombatMP:
Originally Posted By resq2106:
So in! Question: If it hangs up in that space in the picture, how will it play as far as people being able to view the details? most of the interesting parts are topside. The bottom of the hull is pretty boring.

I'm planning on hanging it so it lists to one side at about 45 degrees?  Something like that.

Here's my idea after reading what others said.

Make it like a halfway diorama. Have the U-boat sorta diving and listed on an angle trying to avoid a few sea mines in front of it.

If you could have the robotics team set up a audible Ping! and then an alarm, dive dive dive in german. That would be awesome

To add to it I would set up a film of clear blue cellophane across the ceiling a few feet above the sub to simulate the ocean surface. Maybe crumple it for texture and with the skylight it would look awesome.

I'd also "float" the mines from fishing wire in the path of the sub and have the chain bolting them to the sea floor end above the students heads so they don't constantly walk into it.

I like this idea. And a big tag because i love these threads.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#27]
So, what ancillary items have been floated?  Mines, depth charges, torpedoes?  Maybe a diver untangling the screw from a mine cable?

Could any of that be donated complete?  Say an ARFCOM Retro torpedo?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#28]

You've got me thinking about this, but I'll post a very poor drawing of what I've got in my head and see what you think.   I'm going to build a box structure inside, surrounded by the 18 plywood rings.   Then on the outside of the rings, I'm going to run 1x2s at the 2,4,8 and 10 oclock positions for support.   I'm thinking it should be pretty solid, especially if the boat is divided into two parts, with two cables each to hang it.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5619/20249944914_8f57bb9fd6_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/626/20249942454_acd8d27483_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/756/20252043283_2651f4bd3e_b.jpg
View All Quotes
As far as your main inner structure, I wouldn't go with 2X4's.  Over time a 2X4 can warp.  With the inner structure warping, you can get exterior cracking.  How about aluminum tubes?  Or even a plywood backbone that won't warp?

Does your school have an industrial tech class?  Students who could weld square tubing for ya?

All good vessels need a strong keel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Looking forward to watching the progress!

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:

Does your school have an industrial tech class?  Students who could weld square tubing for ya?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/sixtigers/skeleton_zpsdm7mofpl.png

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/sixtigers/skeleton_zpsdm7mofpl.png

Yes, we have a good teacher too, but that would get way too heavy using steel.  I might check and see about aluminum.  Making your keel design out of wood would be easier, and much lighter.  I think it would also be plenty strong, given four hanging points over the two sections.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
So, what ancillary items have been floated?  Mines, depth charges, torpedoes?  Maybe a diver untangling the screw from a mine cable?

Could any of that be donated complete?  Say an ARFCOM Retro torpedo?
View Quote

I'm going to see if we can make the mines with chains hanging down a few feet.  We can use some fishing line to hang a few from the ceiling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#32]
Update 5/27

The first real day of classes.  

I got to get a few kids going on the rib stencils today.  I also got a good crew put together of advanced students to work on his.  Man, this is going to be fun, and what a great group to work with.  Hard workers; knowledgeable, skilled, and fun to teach.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jestertoo:

U-505?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jestertoo:
Why a German submarine?

Seriously.

U-505?

Methinks U-505 is a Type IXC.  Type VII are a lot smaller.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By nhsport:

In a good way

Yup, this is a tag

View Quote

So did english, apparently.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#36]
looking forward to watching this unfold
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I was bragging about your previous projects we need a full photo set of the past projects
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:52:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I was bragging about your previous projects we need a full photo set of the past projects
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Another option instead of 2xs would be electrical struts and tubing...

ex

http://www.lowes.com/pd_43878-53911-ZA1200HS+10_1z0xc72__?productId=3128751&pl=1

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#41]
this I am going to follow

OST
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Tag! Tag! Tag, Aoooooga! Aoooooga!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:06:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: underdogII] [#43]
Originally Posted By Bubbatheredneck:
Need to find some old German sailor that served on U-Boats to come to the dedication/unveiling.

Put the World History teacher in charge of that.

View Quote

That may be very difficult.
the 1,155 U-boats Germany sent into combat, 725 had been sunk in the longest battle of the war. Lasting nearly six years, over 35,000 German sailors had put to sea, with 28,744 never returning – a death rate of 82 percent, the highest casualty rate of any armed forces of any conflict in the history of modern war. Yet in this appalling casualty rate, there was never any shortage of men to enlist in the U-boat service, and until the very last day, the men of the U-boat service stood ready to put to sea at a moments notice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
View Quote

Posted on page 4?  Not three times, but once should  be enough.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:21:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#45]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Dog1:
Man...I wish I had you as a teacher when I was in art class. The coolest thing I did was a poster board Imperial Walker stop motion project.
View Quote

That had to be pretty cool.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:09:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Neat!

I just scored a 1/350 scale full resin kit of a Gato class sub.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#48]
up periscope!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Another classic thread.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Das Thread!
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top