Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2024 5:42:04 AM EDT
I see a lot of new laptops being marketed as something to the effective as being designed for AI, even some very low-power laptops with integrated graphics.

What do they mean by local AI? I thought using local LLMs was very compute intensive, and typically needed GPU or other suitable processors (ie not something that a 1.2lb laptop is going to support).

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about others but Apple's mobile processors have a Neural engine for AI
https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/what-is-apple-neural-engine/
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#2]
At CES they had monitors that contained AI

The future is now
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
Not sure about others but Apple's mobile processors have a Neural engine for AI
https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/what-is-apple-neural-engine/
View Quote

Interesting... So it sounds like it's not designed to support an entire LLM on the machine, but rather to support various features of different software (for instance, Siri was mentioned in the article)?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
You can run local LLMs on the M series Macs if you have enough memory.

LM Studio, llamafile, mlx are all tools that allow working with them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm running local LLMs on PCs.  You could probably run a smaller Q on a laptop but to run the larger Q you benefit from a high end GPU.  The speed is just too slow IMO without a good GPU and a GPU offload.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Josh:

View Quote

Memory driven execution is a lot slower in my experience.  It works though.

I'd add PrivateGPT as another to research.  The install is sort of a PITA due to all but one video on YT being inaccurate after a change by the creator.  If any of y'all want it just @ me here and I will find the link to the correct method.

I think only windows users had an issue with the big update.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JTX23:

I'd add PrivateGPT as another to research.  The install is sort of a PITA due to all but one video on YT being inaccurate after a change by the creator.  If any of y'all want it just @ me here and I will find the link to the correct method.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Macs have GPU & shared GPU memory.  Great performance on the M1-M3 MacBook Pros.

PrivateGPT is a suite of tools to run LLMs using local documents as a data source.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Flockas:
I thought using local LLMs was very compute intensive, and typically needed GPU or other suitable processors (ie not something that a 1.2lb laptop is going to support).

View Quote

It is a resource hog but you can run it at different quantizations.  Each file will have a Q followed by a number like Q3. The larger the number the better hardware you are going to need.  

The performance of the model goes up with the number.  Depending on what you want Q3 is not bad.  

I'm an engineer with a lot of ideas but not the programming skills to see them all through on my own.  I'm leveraging LLMs to help.  I use Q3 for rapid response code snippets but Q5 for more complex stuff.  More of the brainstorming and planning.

From what I can tell if you want to ingest documents you need vram and a good amount.  That is the stepping point where I think there is only the PC path.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Macs have GPU & shared GPU memory.  Great performance on the M1-M3 MacBook Pros.

PrivateGPT is a suite of tools to run LLMs using local documents as a data source.
View Quote

Good deal.  I'm not familiar with macs.  Out of curiosity how much vram does a mid range macbook pro come with?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:12:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Josh] [#10]

Good deal.  I'm not familiar with macs.  Out of curiosity how much vram does a mid range macbook pro come with?
View All Quotes

All memory is shared memory between the GPU and the CPU in the M series Macs now.  It's all on the same die.  You can get them anywhere from 8GB to 128GB.  

I can run Mixtral 8x7B-Q5 just fine on my M1 64GB.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/m1/
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

FYI I got privategpt running, using mistral 7b-instruct-q4.  Runs like a champ on my Mac.  Adequately summarizes documents and answers questions based on them.  

Only minor difficulty in installation was getting the right python version installed, activated, and then getting poetry installed and running.  Other than that everything worked the way it was supposed to.  Their OSX instructions on getting pyenv installed don't work exactly as they explain them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you get dolphin mixtral to run on privateGPT?

I changed a few lines in the settings file to point it to the model.  It loads but hangs up on questions.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but haven't had the time to dig into it yet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Can you get dolphin mixtral to run on privateGPT?

I changed a few lines in the settings file to point it to the model.  It loads but hangs up on questions.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but haven't had the time to dig into it yet.
View Quote

I’m sure you can but I haven’t tried.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]

All memory is shared memory between the GPU and the CPU in the M series Macs now.  It's all on the same die.  You can get them anywhere from 8GB to 128GB.  

View All Quotes

For the record Josh's M1 may or may not have been the test bed for a yet to be released "local" AI.

put another way, the Apple silicon SOCs were designed from day 1 to run AI on machine.
Being able to use any of the system resources on demand turns out has a better impact on performance then a dedicated (but larger) separate pool on memory.

MacOS also dynamically schedules processes so if the GPU is busy it can determine if it's faster to wait on GPU or run on CPU. or Vice versa.
It can also schedule tasks to run on the neural processor if the task is optimized for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
For the record Josh's M1 may or may not have been the test bed for a yet to be released "local" AI.

put another way, the Apple silicon SOCs were designed from day 1 to run AI on machine.
Being able to use any of the system resources on demand turns out has a better impact on performance then a dedicated (but larger) separate pool on memory.

MacOS also dynamically schedules processes so if the GPU is busy it can determine if it's faster to wait on GPU or run on CPU. or Vice versa.
It can also schedule tasks to run on the neural processor if the task is optimized for it.
View All Quotes

I am absolutely astonished at how much of an improvement this machine is over the i9 I've been using for the last several years.  I had one from work up to about a year ago when I switched jobs -- I was not happy to give it up.  

I'm trying to get privateGPT at my job, it would make it tremendously easier dealing with what I have to do there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]

I am absolutely astonished at how much of an improvement this machine is over the i9 I've been using for the last several years.  I had one from work up to about a year ago when I switched jobs -- I was not happy to give it up.  

I'm trying to get privateGPT at my job, it would make it tremendously easier dealing with what I have to do there.
View Quote
I'm glad you ended up with it and it went to a good home where it'll get good use.
it was literally just sitting on my other desk mining xmr.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm glad you ended up with it and it went to a good home where it'll get good use.
it was literally just sitting on my other desk mining xmr.
View Quote

I appreciate the deal you made me on it.  I'll have to try the xmr thing sometime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top