Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2019 2:06:40 PM EDT
I traded a guy for this A2 "Dissipator" today and the ban-era style upper has no forge markings, neither does the sight tower. The barrel is also unmarked. It's just shortened HBAR style barrel with a full length gas system, and get this, a tear-drop forward assist. Oh, the bolt/carrier is Colt.

Did anyone (except Bubba) cobble together such a upper?

It's on a Double-Star 5.56 marked (no multi-caliber) lower with a A-1 grip and came with a Colt 20 rounder.....I have $175.00 in it.

I inspected/cleaned it and took it down to my range and shot it. No issues and it was accurate with the 55gr fodder I fed it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I like the A2 Dissipator style and it's the only reason I messed with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice score...... the dissipator is a handy rifle
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt had a batch for the CHP.  I parted out a fuck ton of them when Gander Mountain went tits up and was clearing them out.

The "Dissipator" is a Colt Model AR6536 (can't even find that on a Google search).

2003 mfg, 16.1" H BAR, ,1:9, chrome lined, A2 Upper, Fixed buttstock, A2 front and rear sights, rifle handguards, bayo lug, muzzle break.
View Quote
Not all of the A2 uppers were marked but all of the barrels were.   I probably shouldn't say how many I had in hand but it was a legit sample size.  

ETA:  The Colts had a carbine gas system.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats sweet!
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Bushmaster in 1998. I put triagular handguards on it and an A1 stock. Loved that carbine.

Eventually I sold it because it didn't have a threaded barrel, so I couldn't put a flash suppressor on it. I was selling a bunch of firearms because I needed money and it got put in the pile.

Enjoy your upper, OP.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a pre-ban factory Bushmaster dissipator. Not sure this is particularly helpful, but the barrel visible in front of the FSB is shorter on mine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a post ban Bushmaster dissipator.  I changed the hand guard on it, but never quite fell in love with it.  Gifted it a year ago.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I built an A2 dissy with a faxon barrel. I felt like a dissy barrel belonged on an A2 upper.

I love it, and it definitely gets the most attention when I take it out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Bushmaster in 1998. I put triagular handguards on it and an A1 stock. Loved that carbine.

Eventually I sold it because it didn't have a threaded barrel, so I couldn't put a flash suppressor on it. I was selling a bunch of firearms because I needed money and it got put in the pile.

Enjoy your upper, OP.
View Quote
LOL....Yeah so did I around that time, it had that loud-ass Mini-Y Comp pinned on it. I sold the stripped upper after the ban and used the lower/bolt for a BM Varminter build. Both are long gone now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Very sweet handling.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
the only 16" rifle gas upper i had would short stroke sometimes in the cold weather. had to open the port a tad to stop that.

cool config though, shorter barrel, long sight radius with smoother impulse. i used a carbine stock on mine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I like dissipators. Build one on a cavarms lower with a pencil barrel and you a very light and sweet handling carbine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Perfect truck carbine!
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I love Dissapator's.  I'm not ashamed
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice! Love the retro!
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m jelly. I love dissipator style rifles.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe the Dissipator was a mid-length gas system carbine w/rifle length handguard
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never really been a fan of the style - they look odd to me aesthetically - but I do like that rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've never really been a fan of the style - they look odd to me aesthetically - but I do like that rifle.
View Quote
They look like they have down syndrome.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#21]
My only non-NFA AR is a spike’s lightweight dissapator barrel on a Colt C7 upper and a Colt CS stock. It weighs nothing and is handy as hell.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I believe the Dissipator was a mid-length gas system carbine w/rifle length handguard
View Quote
the original had carbine length gas. Bushmaster started the trend.

Armalite first did mid length in their M15 carbine.

I have owned both. The M-15A2 was a dandy of a carbine. The BM Dissy was heavy, but it was accurate and reliable.

I might be mistaken but I think it was CMMG that first made a mid length dissipator and offered it as a standard item.

I will give you 200.00 for it OP.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#23]
That old school HBAR profile barrel...

HEAVY!!!!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The original Bushmaster Dissipator was rifle gas, then commercial models with carbine.  PSA has a midlength now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The original Bushmaster Dissipator was rifle gas, then commercial models with carbine.  PSA has a midlength now.
I wish I could find a Bushmaster profiled Dissipator barrel with the rifle gas system. The HBAR makes it a front heavy bitch. I can't complain about the accuracy but it looks like you could shed a pound or so off the barrel.

The only Dissipator barrel I can find now has either a carbine or mid-length gas system.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#25]
My last assemble. I like it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#26]
My old 3-gun rifle is a 16” with rifle gas.  Sooooo smooth.

Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wish I could find a Bushmaster profiled Dissipator barrel with the rifle gas system. The HBAR makes it a front heavy bitch. I can't complain about the accuracy but it looks like you could shed a pound or so off the barrel.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2015/11/19/4873612_03_bushmaster_dissipator_640.jpg

The only Dissipator barrel I can find now has either a carbine or mid-length gas system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2015/11/19/4873612_03_bushmaster_dissipator_640.jpg

Send it to ADCO
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I love dissipators. I keep one in the truck.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Send it to ADCO
View Quote
Now there is a idea, thanks, I'll give them a call.

Likely cheaper to re-profile my barrel than for me to buy a new barrel even if I could find me one with a rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Love the dissipator. Just no bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Likely cheaper to re-profile my barrel than for me to buy a new barrel even if I could find me one with a rifle length gas system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send it to ADCO

I just checked their website and it says they have suspended most of their machine work until the first of November.

But yeah, and they would know the correct diameter for proper gas flow too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#32]
That’s an awesome setup and exactly what I’m looking for in a build to do. I have 203 hand guards and want to put a PDW style stock on that. Weird I know.

Let me know if you want to be rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
For my tastes the Dissipator actually looks better with no bayonet lug. With the lug it has a bottle opener look about it and really serves no purpose anyway.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For my tastes the Dissipator actually looks better with no bayonet lug. With the lug it has a bottle opener look about it and really serves no purpose anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

I give you the CMMG mini bayonet.

Considering how popular 10.5 inch pistols are, i am surprised they don't bring them back.  But they are easy enough to make if need be.

I wish more people made 16 inch rifle length gas barrels. Brownells has their 15 inch barrel with rifle length gas, but i don't think they sell it separately or without their muzzle device pinned. On top of that i think it is only a 1-12 twist. Spintra used to stock one regularly, but they have been out off barrels for a while now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Galil has an actual bottle-opener built into it as a feature.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a Delton dissy. It shoots lights out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/352455/midgetbayonet_jpg-1129311.JPG

Considering how popular 10.5 inch pistols are, i am surprised they don't bring them back.  But they are easy enough to make if need be.

I wish more people made 16 inch rifle length gas barrels. Brownells has their 15 inch barrel with rifle length gas, but i don't think they sell it separately or without their muzzle device pinned. On top of that i think it is only a 1-12 twist. Spintra used to stock one regularly, but they have been out off barrels for a while now.
View Quote
LOL....That's just sad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LOL....That's just sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/352455/midgetbayonet_jpg-1129311.JPG

LOL....That's just sad.
Now that's just funny.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:. Now there is a idea, thanks, I'll give them a call.

View Quote
Paladin Machine of SC will turn a blank into anything you like, including a 27" blank into a 27" pencil - which handles like a wand...
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#40]
OP's is likely one of many local-brewed banners uppers, the types that Sherluk would sell at shows, and that a variety of off-brand folks (M&A, etc.) churned out.

And, proto-dissy pic, because I can.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://news.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/valmet-galil-bottle-opener.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://news.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/valmet-galil-bottle-opener.gif

That's because Israeli troops would use the feed lips on an FAL mag to open beer bottles.
Top Top