Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I am in one of those counties and I've yet to see an up armored possum in my area.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
They are among the stupidest of animals.  They also carry the bacteria that causes leprosy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm 2 counties from NC in Georgia.  I saw 1st armadillo here 2 or 3 years ago. Saw 2 dead ones on our county roads this year. I'll try to drive them northward for yall to enjoy. They do like chin rubs.  Possum on the halfshell.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Good...good...

The plan is going nicely..
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Tons of possum on the half shell in Georgia already
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Just wait until a herd of them rototills your entire back yard in a single night.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#8]
They may have all of mine plus all the fire ants too.  We have an abundance.   We need some ant eaters.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My first day in TN I saw a dead one on the road.  Have seen them here and there for a decade now.

I STILL have locals telling me they aren't here.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 2 counties from NC in Georgia.  I saw 1st armadillo here 2 or 3 years ago. Saw 2 dead ones on our county roads this year. I'll try to drive them northward for yall to enjoy. They do like chin rubs.  Possum on the halfshell.
View Quote

What part of Georgia comes close to NC? I thought Georgia borders South Carolina?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are among the stupidest of animals.  They also carry the bacteria that causes leprosy.
View Quote
I did not know that. As kids in Texas we would chase them anytime we saw them trying to catch one. I am glad we never did lol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What part of Georgia comes close to NC? I thought Georgia borders South Carolina?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The edge of North Georgia butts up against NC........
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Just started seeing them here maybe 15 years ago?  Thought they were just in and near Texas before that.

I know I fucking hate them and what they did to my yard.
I put down a pre-emergent grub killer now.  That has helped.

But I had some new sod put down a few months ago in one spot, and several weeks later as it was getting well-established, they swooped in and destroyed every bit of it.
PISSED ME OFF.

They make me want to sit outside with a suppressed .22.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I've killed 4 in mine and my neighbors backyard in about a year. Thank goodness for .22 silencers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Was packing up my treestand in the dark one night after hunting, heard what i thought was a massive hog coming towards me but couldn't see any movement by moonlight.
Pulled my M&P and lit it up, still saw nothing.  Whatever it was had stopped 20ft from me, i started freaking a bit...
10 seconds later, an armadillo pops up from under the leaves, stares at the light for about 10 seconds (i thought about popping it just for scaring the crap out of me) then runs headfirst into a tree before waddling off the way it came...

I've only seen a couple in the upstate, this was in Anderson county, SC
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We get both.

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tons of possum on the half shell in Georgia already
View Quote
Missouri too.  I always thought the Missouri River would be a natural boundary but the are north of the river now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Usually see them on the interstate first, few here and there.  Then boom, everywhere. Your yard will never be the same.  Hope for an ice storm that lasts a couple of days.  Seemed to knock the numbers back.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure I saw a dead one on the road here in southern IN.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Armadillos keep diggin,
Little holes in my backyard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. I see them on the side of the road often.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only good armadillos.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Out near the Cherokee Mountains area, way out west.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Y'all have fun with that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Usually see them on the interstate first, few here and there.  Then boom, everywhere. Your yard will never be the same.  Hope for an ice storm that lasts a couple of days.  Seemed to knock the numbers back.
View Quote

Mini-mags also knock the numbers back.

They are pretty stupid.  They really move in the early morning hours (1-2 hours before sun up) or the early evenings (1-2 hours after dusk).  My little mutt corners them up, I shine a flashlight in their face (which they walk towards), plug them between the eyes with 40grains of lead.

They jump like crazy, up to 5' high.  They also do somersaults after being plugged so if they're by the house, it'll look like a mass murder scene.  Their blood is really thick and oily...don't get any on you because it will not wash out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's that bit up at the top that borders NC.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Do people in Texas still run them over and leave an empty Lone Star bottle by the carcass imitating the ads?

Maybe it was just my school.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Armadillos keep diggin little holes in my backyard - tiktok song
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#29]
They’re dumb. I had a lowered Integra way back in the younger days with a CF chin spoiler. Saw one of them standing in the road one night on a blind curve, so I hit the brakes. Honked, dumped the clutch, honked. It wouldn’t move. I had to go outside and kick it. I see them in the deer woods and send a couple 9mm at them to watch them do burnouts.
I remember watching a YouTube video of people in South America making soups with them
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't honestly say I've ever seen a live one in the wild. They are always dead in the road.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#31]
They have been steadily expanding northward here in Misery too.  20 years ago, you only saw the occasional road killed dillo in the far southwest areas of the state.  Now I see them splattered all over the place regularly west & southwest of St. Louis.  Oddly enough, I have yet to see any in the yard or catch them on security cameras, but it'll be time to break out the crossbow or quiet .22 when I do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#32]
.243 splodes them nicely ! Don’t be close lest ye wear some !
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I remember when they first showed up in Missouri in the mid 90s.
One came hopping through the woods at deer season and I was like Holy shit! An armadillo! Nobodies going to believe this!
So I shot it and took it to the house so nobody could call me a liar.

The conservation said they wouldnt survive the winters and then it was they will never go farther north than the Mo. River. They have done both quite easily.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn....more shi$ to have to worry about up here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the resources of the internet at your fingertips and you still went and asked this.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I did my part and smoked one in Northern SC.  I was waiting on hogs for about 5 hours on a blustery, chilly night a few weeks ago.  I hadn't seen shit under my thermal until one of those fuckers showed up about 200 yards out.  I said fuck it, gave up on the hogs cause I wasn't gonna last must longer out there, and let one fly.  18 inch Grendel with an SST, 1 shot 1 kill.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rabun,Towns,Union and Fannin counties border North Carolina.  Georgia borders South Carolina on the east.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just started seeing them here maybe 15 years ago?  Thought they were just in and near Texas before that.

I know I fucking hate them and what they did to my yard.
I put down a pre-emergent grub killer now.  That has helped.

But I had some new sod put down a few months ago in one spot, and several weeks later as it was getting well-established, they swooped in and destroyed every bit of it.
PISSED ME OFF.

They make me want to sit outside with a suppressed .22.
View Quote

Do it!  They have come through my place just north of you in waves over the past 10-12 years. I've dispatched 38 so far, about half were caught in traps and the remainder I saw and shot them on sight. You have to stay up late though, they are very nocturnal and seldom show up until several hours after dark.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I did my part and smoked one in Northern SC.
View Quote

I prefer ham, but you do you.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#41]
They’ve been thick here for decades. I probably kill around 100 every year.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I did my part and smoked one in Northern SC.  I was waiting on hogs for about 5 hours on a blustery, chilly night a few weeks ago.  I hadn't seen shit under my thermal until one of those fuckers showed up about 200 yards out.  I said fuck it, gave up on the hogs cause I wasn't gonna last must longer out there, and let one fly.  18 inch Grendel with an SST, 1 shot 1 kill.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167780/Dead_Dillo_jpg-2178175.JPG

BTW we are in Starr.  3 minutes from the western border of GA at the lake Hartwell Dam and maybe 45 min from North Carolina.  North Western corner of SC.
View Quote

That is my kind of dillo.

Sploded!
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#43]
That was one of the most surprising things about moving to Alabama. There's hells of them down here. My kids still think the dead ones on the side of the road with their feet up in the air is the funniest thing ever. Little psychopaths. I blame their mother.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did my part and smoked one in Northern SC.

When it's cold and dark and I'm tired, I take what I can get.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks like .22 practice, to me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#46]
They're very useful as a fashion statement.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Weird little fuckers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/167780/Dead_Dillo_jpg-2178175.JPG

BTW we are in Starr.  3 minutes from the western border of GA at the lake Hartwell Dam and maybe 45 min from North Carolina.  North Western corner of SC.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

@smarcus
You're probably ~5 minutes from our cabin.
Shot plenty of hogs right there on Russell over the years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They have been steadily expanding northward here in Misery too.  20 years ago, you only saw the occasional road killed dillo in the far southwest areas of the state.  Now I see them splattered all over the place regularly west & southwest of St. Louis.  Oddly enough, I have yet to see any in the yard or catch them on security cameras, but it'll be time to break out the crossbow or quiet .22 when I do.
View Quote

Got property in south MO.  As soon as the sun starts to go down they are in the leaves.  Dumbest things on the planet.  Sometime they run, sometimes they just stare at you till you kick them.  Fortunately my yard is based on naturally occurring weeds and grasses so they are not going to do much damage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top