Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2024 12:21:13 PM EDT
I have probably seen new tractors being transported like that hundreds of times but never took a closer look until I walked past this one parked at the hotel we stayed at.

Attachment Attached File

What is the wood blocking around the hit h plate for? Do those have that much range of motion that needs to be isolated?

Attachment Attached File

Looks like the forward wood beam has the front tandem axle chained up.

Attachment Attached File

I assume that they remove the axle shafts from the rear tandem axles and install a cover on the hub.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#1]

Obligatory
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
so the plate doesnt tilt....
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They piggy back all new trucks like that. One driver to deliver 3 new trucks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Must be hell to back up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude the fucking pull truck is squatting lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, why pull the axles?  Put that shit in neutral and send it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
Dude the fucking pull truck is squatting lol
View Quote
Most likely it's just the air bags deflated, either by the driver or from the air bleeding down from sitting/not running.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#9]
View Quote
Pulling the axles means you're not having to spin the differentials, prop shafts and transmission gears of the towed trucks. Better mileage and minimal wear on the components of a brand new truck.

ETA: I'm guessing the small 2"x4"s on the axle are safeties for the jaws clamped to the front axle, the other blocking is to keep the 5th wheel plate from tilting. You see those rigs moving quite often but I never paid that much attention to how they're hooked up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Truck Boat Truck is far superior.

THE BOAT IS MINE!!!

Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#12]
Jaime-Roberto  (Jim-Bob for the slow kids) is probably hauling that load to Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always wondered about those tow setups also.  Can the air brakes be plumbed such that the lead tractor can control braking on each rear axle of the other two?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ED_P] [#14]
Those tires have so much tread on them.  Most trucks I see in parking lots are running on really sketchy tires with very little tread, especially trailer tires.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably pulled the axles to keep the transmissions from turning. Isn't all the gear oil in the tailshaft at that angle?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]
You pull the axles so you don't burn up the transmission in the truck that has the engine off... No oil flow in that transmission
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw that exact same thing as OP this past week except they were moving down the interstate.

That may be "the way it's done" but it still looks sketch as heck.

I got past the ones I saw lickitty split.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#18]
looks like the messican tow trains of cars in georgia.

where’s phuzzygnu ?!
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Barrelburner:
You pull the axles so you don't burn up the transmission in the truck that has the engine off... No oil flow in that transmission
View Quote

Makes sense

I forgot that they're all automatics now
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Do they lift the trucks onto the other trucks with a crane?
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1975:
View Quote

This is what I wanna know. I thought maybe they had ramps tied on the back decks somehow.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#23]
They lock the plate because there is a pivot point on the bracket under the axle.   You don't want two pivot points or it'll be really sloppy.  Chain the front tandem up so you only have to pull shafts on the rear one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 3:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#24]
View Quote

That's a really ($$$$) bad idea.
Here's why...
https://youtube.com/shorts/op4Mzhk2ZZg?si=rHL1CHRI3f2r0V_q
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:15:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#25]
View Quote

You laugh, but in states where triple trailers are legal, I have some non-commercial people doing some really janky stuff with pickups, RVs, boat trailers, SxS trailers, etc. I swear Utah is the worst.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Makes sense

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Makes sense

Applies to manuals too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

Applies to manuals too.
View Quote
Yup, a lot of stuff is still spinning in a manual transmission even when it's in neutral unless you drop the prop shaft or (in this case) pull the axles
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Simpsons predicted this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Brawndo:

View Quote
Left to right

2,3,1. I really like the extra room in the Studio Sleeper

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Pulling the axles is good but-Tow it on the rear wheels an appreciable distance you run the risk of smoking wheel bearings, hubs and axle snouts.
You are better off pulling the driveshafts- many H-D differentials have an oil pump in them to circulate oil to the bearings and axles. If the carrier/pinion isn’t rotating oil is not circulating.
Towing biggins isn’t as simple as “hook it n book it”

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:50:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragracer] [#33]
I bet that turns great with the 5th wheel locked at that nasty angle.  I don't know why they don't make the front axle clamp / Kingpin at roughly the correct angle so the 5th wheel is sitting level, then allow the 5th wheel pivot to do it's job, instead of forcing a twist into the frame of the towed truck when making a turn.  I suppose the front axle of the towed truck can tilt enough to allow the terrible geometry.

People get away with a lot then wonder why the kingpin is all broken up in their trailer.

ETA: I see the bracket is locked to the 5th wheel so it can't turn and give it that broke in look and there is a second pivot pivot above that allows for turning, but it doesn't appear the angle is improved on that one either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Wrecker drivers like to tow single truck tractors from the rear (backwards, with just the steer tires on the ground) so they don't have to drop the drive shaft.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:58:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mah_lee] [#35]
euro minds absolutely thrashed by this thread

edit: also
i need a truck -Warren Zevon
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By APBullet:
Must be hell to back up.
View Quote

You don't back up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:30:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hockeysew] [#37]
Wrecker drivers like to tow single truck tractors from the rear (backwards, with just the steer tires on the ground) so they don't have to drop the drive shaft.
View Quote

I my experience (12 years in the towing business) it’s generally not very practical to do so. Due to size you cant just turn around in the middle of the highway and snag it from the rear. You also have air deflectors and wind dams to consider.
If your doing a power swap it makes no sense (a power swap is when a tractor dies with a load and you tow out a fresh tractor and tow the dead one back)
Locking the front wheels is not like it is on a passenger vehicle where you use a tie rope, seat belts and similar.
One of the biggest factors though is steer axles just aren’t designed to take the amount of weight  towing from the rear puts on them.
Like I said in my earlier post H-D trucks are a different critter to tow.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
https://i.imgflip.com/8qks3k.jpg

Obligatory
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I saw a car towing 2 other vehicles on the expressway last week , while I was heading to Florida.  Then another car towing package that was the same.  All with drive out tags.  65 south, out 0f Montgomery, surely heading to Texas.  I wouldn’t think that’s to safe, but Alabama State let’em ride, so I guess their all bueno.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:24:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#41]
That's nothing, it looks professional. If you are on the Interstate often enough, especially in Texas, you'll see a pick up truck towing a pick up truck towing a pick up truck back to old Mexico... Sometimes a suburban.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:
I saw a car towing 2 other vehicles on the expressway last week , while I was heading to Florida.  Then another car towing package that was the same.  All with drive out tags.  65 south, out 0f Montgomery, surely heading to Texas.  I wouldn't think that's to safe, but Alabama State let'em ride, so I guess their all bueno.
View Quote
Those are wrecks sold at auction, all headed to Mexico. They put the best running one in front, the other two POS cars "In Tow" and send it. The drivers have questionable documentation/insurance but generally the police won't mess with them as long as they are still moving down the road.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Menage a truck
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Pretty common since there's a Paccar plant here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Powelligator:
I've always wondered about those tow setups also.  Can the air brakes be plumbed such that the lead tractor can control braking on each rear axle of the other two?
View Quote

Yes. On city buses, we had quick-coupler connections for "shop air" to keep them aired up in the shop, and "tow air" to work the brakes while towing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:58:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diesel1] [#46]

Makes sense

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Makes sense

No. Automated manual transmissions on some, still conventional manual trans on others.

ETA: Actual "automatics", while rare in heavy trucks, are somewhat more common in medium-duty trucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 1975:
View Quote

Truck dealer will have a gantry crane or call a towing company to bring in an HD wrecker to lift them off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#48]
OP's pics reminded me of a Kenosha WI businessman who operated at new truck transport company. Among other shady dealings, he "persuaded" the DOT to allow an increase in the number of trucks in tow, thereby significantly increasing his revenue per trip. I met a retired truck driver in Kenosha who worked for the company, and he confirmed what I had read in the newspapers years earlier.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:53:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#49]
Dropping a shaft as we speak.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Waiting on the boss to bring me a tool

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Those are wrecks sold at auction, all headed to Mexico. They put the best running one in front, the other two POS cars "In Tow" and send it. The drivers have questionable documentation/insurance but generally the police won't mess with them as long as they are still moving down the road.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/In_Tow-3219878.jpg
View Quote
Lol. That's something we would do in the '80s but I'm surprised states haven't banned it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top