Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lmao ,some here would so pissed to see how most are being  parodied at the other site. Arfcom certainly is the talk of the town especially by those who had been epstiened
View Quote

This adds nothing to this thread, seems like you're just posting it to drive a wedge in the conversation.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Right. I think the concept is a good one and this thread seems to be a good faith effort toward improvement by most who are participating, and I’d rather let the thread keep running rather than risk knocking it off track by appearing to shoot down ideas.
View Quote

On the other hand, constructive input from you guys would help wargame the ideas we have. I don't think that necessarily has to constitute shooting the ideas down, but could help refine them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I just don't see how a forum that is specifically for second guessing some of the decisions made by SS/Mods even gets pass the stage of just an idea when the very people that would approve the forum are the same people the forum is focused on.

What am I missing ?

Not that it's a big loss, but I am done making any suggestions until an official statement of such a forum even existing is addressed. Until then, this whole thread is nothing but appeasing the mob.
View Quote
Right now this how we get to the point of having a forum. We have to talk to each other to understand what is the problem and what are the ideas. After that is done then we can get down with the process of discussing and deciding what that forum should be.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lmao ,some here would so pissed to see how most are being  parodied at the other site. Arfcom certainly is the talk of the town especially by those who had been epstiened
View Quote
Right now I don't care what other places are saying.  If they aren't involved then they really have no say. No point in dragging outsiders in to this if they just want to de destructive.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On the other hand, constructive input from you guys would help wargame the ideas we have. I don't think that necessarily has to constitute shooting the ideas down, but could help refine them.
View Quote
That is what I want to happen. I know the perfect answer isn't going to happen but it can get to good if all parties have a say.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Right now this how we get to the point of having a forum. We have to talk to each other to understand what is the problem and what are the ideas. After that is done then we can get down with the process of discussing and deciding what that forum should be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't see how a forum that is specifically for second guessing some of the decisions made by SS/Mods even gets pass the stage of just an idea when the very people that would approve the forum are the same people the forum is focused on.

What am I missing ?

Not that it's a big loss, but I am done making any suggestions until an official statement of such a forum even existing is addressed. Until then, this whole thread is nothing but appeasing the mob.

I get that Ben, I really do.

But it is counter-productive and a waste of site resources to have a discussion about something that isn't even plausible. We need guidelines in regards to what will be allowed... GB has made it crystal clear that he has total faith in his SS and blind faith in the choices SS has made with the Mods they have chosen. So why would GB even entertain the concept of a forum specifically made to undermine the people he has complete confidence in to make the right decisions ?

I think we are just getting played to a certain extent.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I get that Ben, I really do.

But it is counter-productive and a waste of site resources to have a discussion about something that isn't even plausible. We need guidelines in regards to what will be allowed... GB has made it crystal clear that he has total faith in his SS and blind faith in the choices SS has made with the Mods they have chosen. So why would GB even entertain the concept of a forum specifically made to undermine the people he has complete confidence in to make the right decisions ?

I think we are just getting played to a certain extent.
View Quote
The issue is being pushed. That is just about the limit on what we can/ should do at this point.  This thread needs to run a bit longer now. After that we can get into the finer points.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A forum for members to discuss site-related grievances with willing mods and staff is certainly plausible. The tricky part comes when anyone has unrealistic expectations of what’s going to happen there. I’m on my phone in a Lowes parking lot right now but I’ll try to elaborate a bit more later on when I’ve got more time.
View Quote

That's a start.

Has GB designated a member of SS to oversee this idea ?

If he hasn't, maybe he should so we can get the ball rolling on this. Need to set clear boundaries and expectations for this before proceeding IMO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A forum for members to discuss site-related grievances with willing mods and staff is certainly plausible. The tricky part comes when anyone has unrealistic expectations of what's going to happen there. I'm on my phone in a Lowes parking lot right now but I'll try to elaborate a bit more later on when I've got more time.
View Quote
Yes, and I do think there will be problems early on with expectations. It will take some willingness to help each other through that part.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If people go in expecting satisfaction then they are probably going to be able to pick something out that leaves them unsatisfied.  If they go in looking for improvement, even incremental, then they may find it.

It’s not about lowering expectations. It’s about examining whether or not expectations are reasonable in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well said. The unfortunate truth is that no matter what gets done, someone’s not going to be happy. There’s just a huge amount of variance in what people want and who they want it for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If people go in expecting satisfaction then they are probably going to be able to pick something out that leaves them unsatisfied.  If they go in looking for improvement, even incremental, then they may find it.

It’s not about lowering expectations. It’s about examining whether or not expectations are reasonable in the first place.

Well said. The unfortunate truth is that no matter what gets done, someone’s not going to be happy. There’s just a huge amount of variance in what people want and who they want it for.

That is one reason why I hope both potential and likelihood for abuse is being discussed and considered when weighing whether or not to implement some of these technical solutions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is one reason why I hope both potential and likelihood for abuse is being discussed and considered when weighing whether or not to implement some of these technical solutions.
View Quote
Its a legit concern. That was one of the driving thoughts behind rules #1 and #6.  People will have to choose their words carefully to troll it well. Whoever is running the place is going to have their hands full early on but I think that it will calm in time. I do expect there much repeating of themselves to several people. At some point clarity will be reached.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
One thing to keep in mind is that no matter how perfect the rules and no matter how honest the intention is there will be those that want it to fail for whatever reason they can contrive.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The direction from GB is he wants Mods/Staff to also participate in threads outside of "moderation". Enjoy the site, he says.

The problem is certain members attack Mods/Staff for their participation outside of "moderation". "You can't have that opinion and be a Mod!"

That is why a person who participated a lot, then that person is selected to be a Mod, they have a tendency to post less, because posters attack them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is some of the problem with mods not participating as members it encourages an us and them way of thinking, when staff only interact to hand out punishment they will be thought of as overseers ,this is a problem staff, also if they don't participate I question that they really don't like it here and is a sign that maybe they shouldn't be a mod or staff of the place they don't like

The direction from GB is he wants Mods/Staff to also participate in threads outside of "moderation". Enjoy the site, he says.

The problem is certain members attack Mods/Staff for their participation outside of "moderation". "You can't have that opinion and be a Mod!"

That is why a person who participated a lot, then that person is selected to be a Mod, they have a tendency to post less, because posters attack them.

Well Bama, that is a valid concern.

How can a Moderator effectively moderate if he or she has a bias one way or another ?

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've noticed this and one thing I've seen is mods that take off the BFL and just participate don't have it as bad, you already have a system for members that attack mods, it's just closed off and members jump to conclusions and it goes downhill from there, bens system would help with that as a lot of the time what you do is right and justified.

The last sentence is a loop that just gets worse, I think if you break that cycle over time it will help, got to develop respect of mods and staff, and I dare say it goes both ways

Damnit, wish I could write better
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
In this thread you are more than welcome to participate. Hell I encourage it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't like Indian food. Does that mean I can't be part of a discussion about Indian food?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well Bama, that is a valid concern.

How can a Moderator effectively moderate if he or she has a bias one way or another ?

I don't like Indian food. Does that mean I can't be part of a discussion about Indian food?

Of course not, but it also means you have a bias and can't effectively moderate the discussion.

It's kinda moderation 101.. A Moderator can not effectively and impartially moderate if he/she is emotionally invested in the subject, not sure how this can even be debated, yet here we are lol

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I just happened to have seen that statement. It wasn't a policy issue but an observation.

Policy is being worked on.
View Quote
That's fine. I just want some ideas and thoughts from mods and staff. It will greatly help writing up more ideas

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's why we have oversight from our peer group, Staff, Sr. Staff and Admins. And a complaint system.

It's no different than enforcement of any rules. Follow the rules and you don't have things to worry about.

View Quote

What if you loved Indian food, and a poster was being borderline CoC against Indian food and people who consume it. Would you be more likely to give an official warning?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#26]
We need Festivus!

Festivus Airing of Grievances
Not being a smart ass, just trying to lighten up the mood. It seems everyone is extremely on edge lately
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They are either breaking the rules or not.
View Quote

What if they arent breaking any of the rules but catch a ban anyway ?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We have an informal rule of not "modding" in a thread that we are active in unless the CoC violations are really bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've noticed this and one thing I've seen is mods that take off the BFL and just participate don't have it as bad, you already have a system for members that attack mods, it's just closed off and members jump to conclusions and it goes downhill from there, bens system would help with that as a lot of the time what you do is right and justified.

The last sentence is a loop that just gets worse, I think if you break that cycle over time it will help, got to develop respect of mods and staff, and I dare say it goes both ways

Damnit, wish I could write better

We have an informal rule of not "modding" in a thread that we are active in unless the CoC violations are really bad.

I kinda noticed that, I think it's a reasonable rule. It just makes sense.
The unfortunate outcome sometimes results in folks bitching when another mod locks a thread and complains "it wasn't that bad, mod/staff X was posting in there and didn't lock the thread". Unfortunately you can't win them all.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A lot of times, I will send a poster a friendly IM to cool it. Or I will hit the Report button. And sometimes threads move so fast I might not see it.

We have those same discussions in our Mod areas.
View Quote
I can confirm you have done this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

See what you are looking for is the blank person. They don't exist.

But can a person knowing their own thoughts, participate in something and follow the rules, and not let their beliefs get in the way of the rules?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course not, but it also means you have a bias and can't effectively moderate the discussion.

It's kinda moderation 101.. A Moderator can not effectively and impartially moderate if he/she is emotionally invested in the subject, not sure how this can even be debated, yet here we are lol

But can a person knowing their own thoughts, participate in something and follow the rules, and not let their beliefs get in the way of the rules?

I'm not looking for a blank person, the subject at hand, and what this thread is mainly about is fair and impartial moderating and accountability for their actions.

Of course a Moderator can participate in a discussion and follow the rules..

The question(not really a question) is whether or not that Moderator can OBJECTIVELY moderate a discussion they are emotionally attached to. Once a Moderator states his or her opinion on the subject, they lose the confidence on one side of the argument for fair and impartial moderation. If Moderators aren't able to recuse themselves from threads because of an emotional attachment to the subject, maybe they shouldn't be Moderators. Sure would eliminate a lot of problems, wouldn't it ?

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That, or "you had to go get one of your pals to kill the thread".
View Quote
There is no surprise that it would happen that way. As long as it was warranted it shouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having a different opinion than someone on the subject of the OP has nothing to do with the COC. MODs should be enforcing the COC and nothing else.

All warnings and bans should have to be routed up the chain to site staff to keep MODs in check. Pretty simple keep your shit straight or get the boot.

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think your questions were already answered but your are "emotionally" attached to the issue and can't be objective.
View Quote

lol, touche
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Most can, some can not.  I doubt people have problems with the former.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I only come to GD to point and laugh any more.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Well aren't you the helpful and positive person.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unfortunately some folks can't help themselves.

There have been a ton of helpful folks though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Unfortunately some folks can't help themselves.

There have been a ton of helpful folks though.
View Quote
There have been many though the thread is getting off track.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's why we have oversight from our peer group, Staff, Sr. Staff and Admins. And a complaint system.

It's no different than enforcement of any rules. Follow the rules and you don't have things to worry about.

View Quote
Perhaps an issue with that is that the complaint system is harder to find than the IA department of the local PD, and gives even less confirmation that a complaint has been received, much less is being taken seriously.  It is certainly not well advertised.  Throw out a thread with a poll asking if people know about the complaint system in GD.  I'd wager the vast majority of the replies will be "no" or words to that effect.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

And, just like that, we're back to the beginning again.

Except for the "unwritten" rules that someone decides to enforce because they have a wild hair one day.

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They are either breaking the rules or not.
View Quote

Ah, if only it were that simple.

Link Posted: 12/8/2021 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This just a suggestion and I would like some input from anyone who wants to on how to make this idea better. If you do comment please don't make this about attacking the site, mods, staff or admin. This is meant to help all of us.

If you like it say so. If you don't say why. If you want to add something please do and add why.  If you think something is wrong say why it is.

A suggestion for the grievance forum

I would like for anyone that wants to to come in here and help with the writing of rules, format and anything else that such a place will need.

Rules for the place

1 No bashing of any mod, staff or member.   This is probably the most important if such a place is to succeed.

2 It should be be open to all members and possibly banned members also.  There is no point in having discussions if relevant parties cannot attend.

3 As of right now the membership cannot overturn a decision made by mods, staff or admin. No point in trying to have a conversation if it can be undermined  by a mob.

4 What can be discussed in the forum. Its open to bans warnings and general problems.

5 What cannot be discussed here.  Membership problems. This will not be the place for problems between the general membership. That will just clog up the place and cause unneeded problems.

6 What can be done to those that cannot follow rules here. First asked to behave, second removal from thread and third if a member continues to be abusive or a consistent problem they may be removed banned from the forum. The forum will not be allowed to be used for abuse and general asshatery.

7 How long can a thread run. Threads will have one week to be discussed.  After the thread is closed unless progress is being made at which the thread may be allowed to continue.

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff.

9 When a member is not replying. A member is responsible for timely replies in the thread they started. If the member becomes absent repeatedly the right to post in the forum may be removed.

This was a suggestion for a change on 8

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff."  I think there is a distinction to be made between Staff who sets policy and Mods who execute policy. Mods should only speak to "here is the policy we execute, and here's the guidance Staff gives us about how to execute those policies."  Only Staff should speak to "here's why the policy is this way."  Think of it as the difference between cops and legislatures.  Legislature passes the law, cops enforce the law.  Each is going to have a different perspective on why the law is versus how to execute the law -- and you get nowhere arguing with a cop for a change in the law.  Similarly, you get nowhere arguing with a Mod for a change in policy.  That's Site Staff's job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This just a suggestion and I would like some input from anyone who wants to on how to make this idea better. If you do comment please don't make this about attacking the site, mods, staff or admin. This is meant to help all of us.

If you like it say so. If you don't say why. If you want to add something please do and add why.  If you think something is wrong say why it is.

A suggestion for the grievance forum

I would like for anyone that wants to to come in here and help with the writing of rules, format and anything else that such a place will need.

Rules for the place

1 No bashing of any mod, staff or member.   This is probably the most important if such a place is to succeed.

2 It should be be open to all members and possibly banned members also.  There is no point in having discussions if relevant parties cannot attend.

3 As of right now the membership cannot overturn a decision made by mods, staff or admin. No point in trying to have a conversation if it can be undermined  by a mob.

4 What can be discussed in the forum. Its open to bans warnings and general problems.

5 What cannot be discussed here.  Membership problems. This will not be the place for problems between the general membership. That will just clog up the place and cause unneeded problems.

6 What can be done to those that cannot follow rules here. First asked to behave, second removal from thread and third if a member continues to be abusive or a consistent problem they may be removed banned from the forum. The forum will not be allowed to be used for abuse and general asshatery.

7 How long can a thread run. Threads will have one week to be discussed.  After the thread is closed unless progress is being made at which the thread may be allowed to continue.

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff.

9 When a member is not replying. A member is responsible for timely replies in the thread they started. If the member becomes absent repeatedly the right to post in the forum may be removed.

This was a suggestion for a change on 8

8 What happens when a mod or staff is unavailable? If a mod or staff in unavailable then another mod or staff may step in and reply. The mod or staff that is the subject of the thread is always allowed to correct any statement of a substitute mod or staff."  I think there is a distinction to be made between Staff who sets policy and Mods who execute policy. Mods should only speak to "here is the policy we execute, and here's the guidance Staff gives us about how to execute those policies."  Only Staff should speak to "here's why the policy is this way."  Think of it as the difference between cops and legislatures.  Legislature passes the law, cops enforce the law.  Each is going to have a different perspective on why the law is versus how to execute the law -- and you get nowhere arguing with a cop for a change in the law.  Similarly, you get nowhere arguing with a Mod for a change in policy.  That's Site Staff's job.

I agree with you to a point on everything but.

sometimes SS/mods and Goatboy need a call out. Need one something bad.

just an explain, There bee keepers bullshit took Aimless basically calling him out in the pit (we too stupid or to trolly or....*insert membership fault here*) to finally call out some bull shit that had been going on for a long while. Site staff, not going to mention names, still need honestly need a call out from everything that went down with the mod (i can't remember the exact order of his letters in his name, but K something. Had the Texas gif as his avatar and basically got fucked, and badly called out, by SS for the fact he didn't suck TBL crew dick). Finally the shit the other night with the beer slayer and even Goat boy was a joke. just an absolute joke. (GoatBoy has since apparently talked about some changes, so we shall see). Granted, a lot of that doesn't come down to us. Ownership, GB, Ed sr, etc. etc. should be handling that kind of stuff. So I don't know if a forum will help it because I have learned that, at least in the moment, as long as the ad revenue rolls in those people don't give a flying fuck what we have to say. (again, "changes are coming" we will see) but even with that, apparently the bee keeper is welcome back as staff at any time.

but on the flip side. I also get that, "hey this guy doesn't suck Trumps dick!" or even lately "Hey this guy doesn't suck Putin's dick" (sorry not a homophobe) can be an issue because said forum will constantly be getting trolled with the above and "XXX mod/SS wont fix it!"

but overall I agree. honestly bring the fucking pit back and make some changes is what I personally think should happen.

Quoted:

I agreeish. Just like I said above. I hope mods and site staff have their own opinions.

the two issues are the handling of somethings. (ex TBK or DKprof despicable behavior if people don't tow the line or even some mods that are cops, jumping into a thread, posting obvious bait, then people getting into trouble)

and then as i said, lot of people here think this site, and their overall political thoughts are XYZ. If it isn't XYZ, member, mod, SS, etc then all hell needs to break lose and it fucks y'all.

so its a shit spot to be in. I certainly don't wanna be y'all.

but some SS and some mods keep a cool head. Some don't. thats where ownership(or the people that run the place now) needs to come into play.

Quoted:

I'm sorry, what? We have a complaint system?

is that new or just so hidden/unused I had no idea it was a thing over the last ~8 years.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top