Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2023 1:27:06 PM EDT
Some years ago I stumbled upon a book called the Gaia Uprising. A directionless collection of random scribblings by some author. Not anything I can recommend if the title wasn't enough of a giveaway.

One of the random things mentioned was an anecdote about some big shot who during negotiations would pound his fist on the table until he destroyed his wrist watch. Not damaged, destroyed. The reasoning being that whoever he was dealing with would be so freaked out by this wanton destruction of a $30,000 watch that they would cave in negoiation and offer up something of greater value than the destroyed watch.

So how about you. Do you know of any odd things that people would do to improve their bargaining position?

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Some dude busting up his own watch wouldn't even move my meter.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm negotiating with someone who would pound his fist on a table enough to destroy his watch, my first thought would be "his impulse control sucks and he's a drama factory who will bring chaos to my life that I don't need."
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I'm negotiating with someone who would pound his fist on a table enough to destroy his watch, my first thought would be "his impulse control sucks and he's a drama factory who will bring chaos to my life that I don't need."
View Quote

I know, right?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#4]
What's that lawyer saying about if you don't have the facts or the truth, pound the table. Sounds like a bold strategy cotton
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
How long would it take to destroy a $30k watch by hand? What about the desk? How about he just defenestrates himself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My response to broken watch…

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
That seems like the dumbest thing ever to do negotiating.  He must have lost lots of negotiations.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m trying to visualize the physics of that. Most people smacking their fist in the table would do it like a hammer falling. A watch - at least for most people - sits with the face on the outside of the wrist and wouldn’t impact the table. Someone pulling a move like that would have to smack the back of their hand against the table, or the inside of their wrist if wearing it there. Which seems like a lot of pain to put yourself into on the off chance the other guy is freaked out to the point of offering something of value and not just bailing out entirely.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That seems like the dumbest thing ever to do negotiating.  He must have lost lots of negotiations.
View Quote

As I said, it was a dumb, directionless story. The character in question is only mentioned once.

Perhaps it never happened? I mean, the bulk of watches use spring bars, if you hit those hard enough the watch will simply pop off the strap.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, I'd ask if the clown was jet lagged or something and needed to get some sleep
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen some people in management repeatedly bang their fist on a table. Lol.

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Khrushchev style, shoes are cheaper.

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As I said, it was a dumb, directionless story. The character in question is only mentioned once.
View Quote

Authors will sometimes add these random anecdotes or ambiguous nonsense to make their writings seem more deep than they really are. Joe Biden tries to do this but his IQ is like 60 so we end up with hits like the corn pop or leg hair stories.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I would think the guy was a hotheaded idiot.
Calmness carries far more weight.

This is something that may help if you seriously want to be better

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I’d look at him and think, “This fool lacks discipline and can be easily manipulated using his emotions”. Then I’d make a fool of him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, more of a "ok, I have no idea why the hell you did that, here's my offer."

Kinda like a hunger strike: why would I feel guilty about YOU making the executive decision to starve yourself?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I usually just tell people I suck at negotiating and to please take my money!

My name is fry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Remember when that one guy threw his shoes at Bush?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Please, give me reasons to keep you away.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I would look at the guy, look at the watch, look back at the guy and say
" you are one seriously goofy bitch, ain't ya?"
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#22]
My reaction to some guy destroying his watch on a table?  "What a fucking idiot!"
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Perhaps it never happened? I mean, the bulk of watches use spring bars and of you hit those hard enough the watch will simply pop off the strap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps it never happened? I mean, the bulk of watches use spring bars and of you hit those hard enough the watch will simply pop off the strap.

It sounds like a fantasy of how the author wants a man like that to act, not anything that is remotely realistic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Most people wouldn't even notice a $30k watch.

I'm calling BS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It sounds like a fantasy of how the author wants a man like that to act, not anything that is remotely realistic.
View Quote

It do be.

FWE reason older folks seem to be huge fans of using emotion and theater as a negotiating tactic.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Everyone knows the greatest negotiation tactic ever is "all I have is xxxx until I get paid in two weeks".
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Everyone knows the greatest negotiation tactic ever is "all I have is xxxx until I get paid in two weeks".
View Quote

This. Nobody ever responds with "then if it hasn't sold yet in two weeks, we should talk again."
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#28]
If someone I was negotiating with was stupid enough to destroy his own $30K watch, I would quickly realize I am negotiating with someone who is not too smart, and doesn't have good control over himself.  

OTOH if I was either stupid enough, or cowardly enough to be cowed by someone who destroys their own expensive property, the guy I'm negotiating with must figure he will get more than the $30K worth of property he just destroyed in order to manipulate me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#29]
*Guy breaks his watch

Me: "You seem overwhelmed, perhaps you should take a moment and collect yourself, lest you make an irrational decision."
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems it would have the opposite effect, make them looked stressed out in a weak position.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone can write a book. It was a scene that seemed impressive to the author when he made it up, so he wrote it down thinking other people might be impressed too. I'm not.
View Quote

There are a lot of stupid, nonsensical scenes like that in books... and movies, for that matters. You don't need any real expertise to be a successful writer, just an audience.

The infamous pistol disassembly scene in the original Bourne Identity book comes to mind. It makes zero sense that he would have that "instinct." I guess it impresses people who have little familiarity with weapons.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm calling BS.
View Quote

I would think it's a fake and the guy is kinda crazy, or the guy is legit insane if it's real.
In this day in age where we try to limit the human variables, why on earth would anyone want to deal with a wildcard like that?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anyone can write a book. It was a scene that seemed impressive to the author when he made it up, so he wrote it down thinking other people might be impressed too. I'm not.
View Quote

Yep, just like a lot of member's stories on ArfCom that don't go the way they expect.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Back in the day before watch batteries, they had self winding watches with an internal movable weight.

My response to negotiating tactic: Yeah, I had one of those self winding watches.  That winding ritual got old, so I bought this $19 Timex.  As a concession in the negotiation, I'll increase my offer by $19 so you can have a decent watch.  Then, run away!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I would think the guy was a hotheaded idiot.
Calmness carries far more weight.

This is something that may help if you seriously want to be better

https://www.mindperk.com/wp-content/uploads/SecretsOfPowerNegotiatingCD.jpg
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Negotiating is easy and anger doesn't work, nor does any emotion if you want to win.

My personal favorite is uncomfortable silence, people don't like silence and will talk themselves down in price just to stop it.

The above has worked for me countless times and is hands down the best tactic I've ever used.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure do, that was hilarious!  

Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/0a29a37f08c9d65c3494bb6b696b8d13/tenor.gif?itemid=5298606

You gotta admire his reflexes, there. Had that been anything lethal or what not, it would not have hit him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't think it's physically possible to "destroy" a quality wristwatch by banging your fist on a table.

You could damage it, sure, but the damage wouldn't be visible to someone across the table. This is just dumb.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#42]
If you bang up your watch you loose 300k, if you bang his wife he looses half of everything.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Negotiating is easy and anger doesn't work, nor does any emotion if you want to win.

My personal favorite is uncomfortable silence, people don't like silence and will talk themselves down in price just to stop it.

The above has worked for me countless times and is hands down the best tactic I've ever used.
View Quote

I don't have to do a ton of negotiating, but I will say that there's truth to this. I've had a couple of people in my life interact in that way, and it's really off putting and throws me off my game. I don't know if it's intentional or just their personalities.

Like I'll answer a question and when I'm done instead of jumping right in like most folks, they will just stay quiet for a few seconds resulting in me needing to fill the silence with more words and probably saying shit I shouldn't.

Last week, I met a dude like that. I stopped in to talk to him about garage doors. He lets me ramble on for a good 20 minutes before I find out that he's actually been to my house, has my plans on his computer and had already given a bid to my contractor. I knew the company had done my windows, but didn't realize this was the actual guy. Then I had to replay the conversation in my head and make sure I hadn't sounded like I was talking shit about the contractor.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm calling BS.
View Quote

The story actually goes "he was so made at the price he broke his glasses" but has a box of cheap reading glasses in his drawer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You gotta admire his reflexes, there. Had that been anything lethal or what not, it would not have hit him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/0a29a37f08c9d65c3494bb6b696b8d13/tenor.gif?itemid=5298606

Cocaine keeps you on your toes
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Psychological problems do not get you a better deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Back in the day before watch batteries, they had self winding watches with an internal movable weight.

My response to negotiating tactic: Yeah, I had one of those self winding watches.  That winding ritual got old, so I bought this $19 Timex.  As a concession in the negotiation, I'll increase my offer by $19 so you can have a decent watch.  Then, run away!
View Quote

LoL

Nice watches still are self winding
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now I'm caught thinking about if Biden was in the same situation.

And I can't stop laughing.  I'd imagine it'd be like that golden retriever who can't catch anything, but completely retarded with a pinch of dementia "what are we doing?" expressions after.

For added fun, wear a name tag that says "Corn Pop".  It might keep him awake at night.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Some years ago I stumbled upon a book called the Gaia Uprising. A directionless collection of random scribblings by some author. Not anything I can recommend if the title wasn't enough of a giveaway.

One of the random things mentioned was an anecdote about some big shot who during negotiations would pound his fist on the table until he destroyed his wrist watch. Not damaged, destroyed. The reasoning being that whoever he was dealing with would be so freaked out by this wanton destruction of a $30,000 watch that they would cave in negoiation and offer up something of greater value than the destroyed watch.

So how about you. Do you know of any odd things that people would do to improve their bargaining position?
View Quote

Unless that was done on a table with petrified 6-yr olds seated around it, it would be read these days as a TOTAL BLUFF by any adult professional who’s participated in serious business, labor, or maybe especially legal negotiations.

You can bet no one currently at the negotiating table representing GM, Ford, Stellantis or the labor unions is pulling that crap.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you bang up your watch you loose 300k, if you bang his wife he looses half of everything.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top