BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2022 7:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I loved my Datamax Pro, and it was pretty much a beginner computer.  The "gas gauge" was a great visual tool.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 7:25:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#2]
The Shearwater Peregrine is $550ish. Doesn’t have AI and an electronic compass. Easy to use. Big bright screen.

The smaller screened watch style ones are harder to read and operate too. The manuals I’ve seen are horrid.

I laugh when newer divers buy a Perdix, for example, and sell it on Scubaboard after using it for a while, saying it’s too much computer for them. I think someone even said that about a Peregrine. I always ask why a easy to read and easy to use computer is too much fake them?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:50:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Why would someone buy a Perdix unless they're into technical diving? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In regards to readability, I love this simple display:

https://www.divein.com/wp-content/uploads/Diving/mares-puck-pro-dive-computer-featured-image.jpg

Depth, dive time, no deco time in an easy-to-read format. Plus, you can toggle the bottom line for different info. What else are most recreational divers looking for? That's not to say that the Puck is the greatest, just that it's an example of an affordable, full featured computer with a feature set the same as most others costing much more, and I don't know what reduces it to "beginner" status.
View Quote

That black on gray display sucks donkey balls for low viz diving, such as what I do.

Plenty of people have bought a Perdix as they wanted an easy to read, big colorful display, AI, and simple to use. Not to mention it takes a AA battery.

I started with an Oceanic Geo 2.0. I saw my Advanced instructors with Perdix. I could see them 4ft away. Got a Perdix in 2018. So much easier to see and use than the Oceanic with the black on gray display.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's another pet peeve: Why is it so hard to find info about what the dive computer looks like during an actual dive? A bunch of reviewers are sitting at a desk and drone on endlessly about features but the one I care about most is ignored: What's the darn thing look like underwater in mediocre visibility? Is it easy to read? East to discern critical information at a glance? All the manufacturer's stock pics always show non-typical screens for the most part too.
View Quote

No problem with that for Shearwater. Plenty of screens shown on their website and in the manual. This is for the Petrel 3, which came with my new rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/petrel-3-fischer/
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Beginner may just be a lower price point .
As you dive more ;as in more than one trip a year, then you probably need something better, probably will invest in different dive equipment also .
I still use one from 1985 and have at least over 2000 dives, I have others I use also,
But it is still reliable
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I always piss my computers off and they go into gauge mode on tech dives during decent. These are planed depth/ time dives on tables.

I have used some basic computers (by todays standards) and have not had one flood or drop out they just become a timer in gauge mode.
I have had a (expensive) computer that would drop out while smashing thru thermoclines, it was still working but what I think was a  sudden drop in battery voltage would blank out on the wrist display for a minute or so.
Sometimes simple is better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]
@Zhukov

So what are you diving with now?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SeaDog951:
I always piss my computers off and they go into gauge mode on tech dives during decent. These are planed depth/ time dives on tables.

I have used some basic computers (by todays standards) and have not had one flood or drop out they just become a timer in gauge mode.
I have had a (expensive) computer that would drop out while smashing thru thermoclines, it was still working but what I think was a  sudden drop in battery voltage would blank out on the wrist display for a minute or so.
Sometimes simple is better.
View Quote

Your computers lock you out and you’re using them on tech dives?
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#15]

That cheapo Mares Puck Pro. I traded the Aladin Sport for a Beuchat Aladin Pro after the battery ran out, then I ruined the Pro trying to mess with the battery.

I really like the Shearwater Peregrine. If mine ever dies, I would strongly consider it depending on my mood. I'm getting old and decrepit, and my wife has had two knee replacements already. We may not have that much more time before we are out of the game. Planning on hitting the Maldives or Palau before that happens though.
View Quote

What do you call old and decrepit? I’m 53 and did full cave and took up CCR (finished two weeks ago). You’re doing easy diving compared to what I’m doing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Hush, you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

What do you call old and decrepit? I'm 53 and did full cave and took up CCR (finished two weeks ago). You're doing easy diving compared to what I'm doing.

Hush, you.

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Your computers lock you out and you’re using them on tech dives?
View Quote

They only serve as timers and depth gauges, that being said the Nemesis that dropped out in thermoclines was removed from deep FW dive kit.
The way it used to be and probably still is once you exceed the safety limits the computer will warn you then tell you "GFY your on your own" and go into gauge mode.
It is or was liability thing.
Example being a "freight train to hell decent" will off-scale all the ones I have used. But I don't dive like that anymore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes the term 'beginner', or 'entry level' is full retard when applied to dive computers.

I started ('82) with watches and went through a few of them.  Also had the Princeton Tec mechanical timer that works well (still have one)
Have had early Uwatec's.  Great computer, but can be accidentally adjusted by bumping contact points.   I have even replaced the battery in the oil filled ones with success.

Currently, I have the Mares Puck and Quad.
I have had the Puck quite a few years now, but can't reliably read it.  So, I bought the Quad for my old guy eyes.  Happy with both.  The Puck is brought along as a backup (virtually same algorithm) or as a hand out for divers that don't have one.

Mares is very cagey about their algorithm and won't answer specific questions about it.  (been there done that).

Possible con if you don't like conservative diving:  Mares will get very conservative on repetitive dives.

The Peregrine is neat, but doesn't connect to your phone.  Lost value to me.

I have used and bought my kid the Cosmiq+.  I like it.  You can use an app on your phone to make changes, or whatever.  
If one gets into tech at some point, you can use the the Cosmiq as a BT.

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 11:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#21]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bap:

Yes the term 'beginner', or 'entry level' is full retard when applied to dive computers.

I started ('82) with watches and went through a few of them.  Also had the Princeton Tec mechanical timer that works well (still have one)
Have had early Uwatec's.  Great computer, but can be accidentally adjusted by bumping contact points.   I have even replaced the battery in the oil filled ones with success.

Currently, I have the Mares Puck and Quad.
I have had the Puck quite a few years now, but can't reliably read it.  So, I bought the Quad for my old guy eyes.  Happy with both.  The Puck is brought along as a backup (virtually same algorithm) or as a hand out for divers that don't have one.

Mares is very cagey about their algorithm and won't answer specific questions about it.  (been there done that).

Possible con if you don't like conservative diving:  Mares will get very conservative on repetitive dives.

The Peregrine is neat, but doesn't connect to your phone.  Lost value to me.

I have used and bought my kid the Cosmiq+.  I like it.  You can use an app on your phone to make changes, or whatever.  
If one gets into tech at some point, you can use the the Cosmiq as a BT.

View Quote

The Peregrine has Bluetooth and can connect to your phone. Where did you get the idea it doesn’t?
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#23]
That Cosmiq+ looks nice and the price is really attractive too. Very legible display.

You were able to replace the battery of an oil-filled Uwatech? See, I couldn't - hence the early death of my Aladin Pro.  
View Quote

There have been issues with Cosmiq getting flooded.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Speaking of which: The bluetooth feature is obviously really cool, but to make the most of it you really need to use a program of some kind for logging dives and downloading your profile. I've looked around quite a bit and have settled on the SSI app and bought the bluetooth adapter for my Puck. It was important for me that the app sync across multiple devices and the data remain in the cloud (although an export/backup option would be nice). Divemate looked promising, but I got scared off by people saying some features are broken and the developer isn't responding.
View Quote

There’s a free Shearwater app. I use MacDive as I’m all Apple. Subsurface, which is free/open source is available, too. Desktop and iOS/Android app.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]

The Peregrine has Bluetooth and can connect to your phone. Where did you get the idea it doesn’t?
View Quote

Yes you can connect and download log and update firmware, but thats it, a meh.
Cosmiq you can do that AND change settings...eanx mix, pf factor, brightness etc.

As far as the Cosmiq 'flooding'.
I sold A LOT of these, none flooded.  Early models did have battery issues.  Company quickly resolved that.

Display is crisp and bright.  I can read my kids safety stop countdown witin a few feet easily its that sharp.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Hush, you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What do you call old and decrepit? I'm 53 and did full cave and took up CCR (finished two weeks ago). You're doing easy diving compared to what I'm doing.

Hush, you.

I’m leaving for Indonesia in bit so here’s my brief take.

I don’t consider myself an advanced diver at around 150 dives most in tropical waters.  I didn’t have a dive computer- I always borrowed my brothers spare which last trip was a peregrine.  I loved it.  Easy to read and no manual required to set up.  I thought about getting one of those but decided I wanted ai.  

I purchased a descent mk2i with the benefit to me that it was a sports watch as well.  The teric was slightly smaller and consequently had smaller numbers making it harder on my 62 year old eyes.
I’ve done several pool dives and one lake dive to practice and ensure that I could read the display.

So far I’m fairly pleased.  I use many of the features- alarm, gps, stop watch, heart rare.  I like that texts show up.  Will see how it preforms on an actual dive.  For me it’s only comparison wold be teric/perdix.  If I was into tech diving I’d get the shearwater.

At 62 yes my body is beat up and I hurt every day but I fully intend to keep pushing until I’m 75 or so.

Calling something beginner or advanced is just marketing.

Link Posted: 10/25/2022 3:24:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eric802] [#28]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll add in with Marie here, Shearwater is tier-1. I have a Teric because I like a "watch-style" yet want more technical features like multi-gas. The Teric and Perdix 2 can have a very simple OC display like you're looking for. I was stubborn and dove with my Nitek 3 and Aladdin for years but the Shearwaters are superior across the board.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Y'all bitchin' about dive computers oughtta be thankful you didn't use the old ScubaPro bottom timers.

When I started in '71, a watch and dive tables, synch'd to your brain, was the only "computers".

I've since used a few different one's- the latest a Mares Puck, but it died on me finally and I ain't gonna replace it. For the diving I do nowadays- too old and broke up for tech diving anymore-, a set of Nu-Way tables works.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#32]

Do you dive multi-gas? 2 gas or more?
View Quote

Yes I have in the past. What I appreciate with the Shearwater is if you're using Nitrox and regular air on the same trip, it's very easy to switch back in forth. Some computers are a little wonky for that and it's very clear with the Shearwater what gas you're using. It even has a planner function to show what the best gas for the dive profile you're planning.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#34]

But that's more of a "nicer features" thing than "computer for beginning diver" thing. It takes me all of 10 seconds to switch between Air/Nitrox on my computer - which is not to say that the Shearwater isn't a great computer. I see it as more of a Chevy vs. Cadillac argument.
View Quote

I can see your point of view but I guess I look at it, buy once/ cry once as it's adaptable to whatever type of diving you're going to do. I actually dive with two computers, I have an old Aladdin still working but my Shearwater is air-integrated. Even so, I have a single-head pressure gauge attached to my primary for redundancy. Overkill sure but I already had all the gear and like the redundancy.

If you want dead-nuts simple, few options and a cheap price point the Cressi's are ok but I'd pick the Suunto Zoop over it. As Marie mentioned, look at the Shearwater Peregrine
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#38]

I read the manual - it's a superb computer with an excellent display. That being said: My cheapo Puck does the same thing with a (much) crappier display. If I were diving a lot, I wouldn't mind splurging on the Peregrine. With my diving limited, I probably won't upgrade unless mine dies.
View Quote

It’s great to have a backup but I get where you’re coming from. Like everything, DC have gained features, become more resilient and of course cheaper. My eyesight isn’t what it used to be so the display difference of my Teric is a godsend.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 9:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wally910] [#39]
My Suunto Vyper serves me well for fairly deep spearfishing dives (130’).
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Bought one of these NIB ‘used’ for a steal.  Added transmitter. Works fine.

Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#43]

I see a lot of computers now tracking free dives. What's there to track for those?
View Quote

Not sure. I’m diving nitrox. Could be they are tracking for shallow water blackout or something along those lines?
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#44]

I see a lot of computers now tracking free dives. What's there to track for those?
View Quote

Pause between dives to restore gas balance (4-5 minutes on deeper dives) so you don't die.  Factors in temp etc.
Goals:  how deep, time etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#45]
We used sunto computers to start. They work fine and can even do nitrox - sort of because it’s a major pain in the ass to change gasses. If you do something dumb the computer will lock you out. Worst of all whatever deco model they use is way too conservative and will force you to turn the dive before everyone else’s computer is anywhere near running out of time.

Upgraded to shearwater peregrine. Much better computer. The screens are intuitive and bright. Will always provide information and will never lock me out. Clear what gas you are using and easy to switch between gasses. Best of all no beeping - it vibrates if it needs to get your attention and then when you click the button to acknowledge the alert it leaves you alone. The deepest part of my dive where I’m going a foot or two beyond my (conservative) max po2 is not the time to be constantly beeping like the world is ending. Same with deco time - if in within only a couple min of my no deco time I want a reminder but not constant beeping while I’m trying to hurry and kill that last lion fish before I ascend some. We stay within the rec limits but do know they are quite conservative and go right up to the 130ft air and 1.4atm nitrox limits on our yearly Cozumel trips. The only trouble I have had with it is salt gumming up the buttons to make hard to push - my fault for not cleaning in fresh water better.

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#46]

I love the display on the Teric, but I wonder what would win out: The smaller size of the Teric with a terrific display, or a bulkier computer that has the traditional (but larger) LCD digits. I guess a lot depends on how good (or bad) your vision is.
View Quote

I really need to check this forum more often. I can s e my Teric display just fine since the readout is very clear and I wear readers. Prescription masks or even self-stick “reader” inserts are there plus IMO a larger screen isn’t always better. If your eyesight is that far gone the size of the screen doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#47]
ZOOP army here
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top