Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Am I the only one who thinks that Chase's targets bear a strong resemblance to Trayvon Martin?
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If that was the case you wouldn't have a BHP since the word Browning is only in it as a marketing term.

You worship a false idol.

If you really wanted to be a JMB fan, you'd have a 19xx in .38 automatic, or at least a 1911 in .38 super.
View Quote
Meh.

Browning never finished the BHP so I get where you are coming from. But a lot was his own work and he died during the design phase of the pistol. Dieudonné Saive finished the Hi Power without question. But that makes sense really since Dieudonné Saive was the lead at FN and likely learned quite a bit from Browning, not to mention copying several of his designs

But if your saying that Browning is only a marketing term is pretty off. Browning had a significant relationship with both Dieudonné Saive and FN. I mean the guy died in Belgium and designed many FN pistols for the European market

38 super wasn't designed until after his death

This is the original US patent for the HI power

It uses the same original locking system with a few small changes. A external hammer instead of a striker and a double stack mag thanks to Dieudonné Saive. Without the latter I don't thin the BHP would have taken off like it did

Link Posted: 12/18/2017 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who thinks that Chase's targets bear a strong resemblance to Trayvon Martin?
View Quote

I think it looks like a Asian dude for some reason
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is a ridiculously attractive 1911.  Every picture it appears in, it just steals the show.
View Quote
Thank you

It is in every way what I think a modern 1911 should be

The first half inch of barrel or so is looking pretty rough now a days, but its got way north of 10k through it
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I love 1911s

Im afraid to try BHPs
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice write up and nice pics.......

I've owned a few BHPs, always ended up trading them for something forgettable it seems...........

I'm down to one recent vintage specimen, guess I'll keep it.

Are they getting pricey and/or hard to find? Are they going the HK P7 route?
View Quote
Browning(or should I say FN) stopped producing them in March

What will happen is anyones guess. I hope someone picks up the tooling and makes a modern remake personally
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 9mm SA 1911 that is my favorite pistol.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#8]
BHPs have never been common in my lifetime in any AO I have ever inhabited.

I believe Mec-Gar makes flush fitting 15rd mags, don't they?

Would like to find one without the mag disconnect and if possible, a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
BHPs have never been common in my lifetime in any AO I have ever inhabited.

I believe Mec-Gar makes flush fitting 15rd mags, don't they?

Would like to find one without the mag disconnect and if possible, a chrome lined barrel.
View Quote
I heard they work fine. I just use the 13 round mouse trap mags. Very satisfying when I reload and it goes flying out.

Mag disconnect is easy to remove by yourself. Chrome lined barrel, good luck, maybe the FN branded ones had them? I really dunno
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#10]
You're wrong about .38 Super.

In JMB's time it was just known as .38 Automatic.  Later on during the depression they changed it to "Super" but the loads were really no hotter.  It was his same original cartridge.  There are some nice articles on this on the .38 Super website they even fired some vintage ".38 Auto" ammo to prove that the "Super" was no hotter.  .38 Auto was going to be the 1911's caliber but the Army required .45 and JMB changed it to comply, so that is what I believe the earlier poster was referring to.  A plain as possible 1911 in .38 Super we can imagine is the gun as he envisioned it.

EDIT:  ah man, went to provide a link but it looks like 38super.net is gone now.  Shame, as that site was great.

As far as the BHP goes I wonder how much Saive is in the gun.  I read somewhere once that they had competing designs at FN during the development of the pistol with Saive's design being get this-----striker fired.  JMB's design was chosen but then he died and Saive had to execute it.  I could be wrong on this, it has been years since I read about it but that is the way I remember it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Double...
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You're wrong about .38 Super.

In JMB's time it was just known as .38 Automatic.  Later on during the depression they changed it to "Super" but the loads were really no hotter.  It was his same original cartridge.  There are some nice articles on this on the .38 Super website they even fired some vintage ".38 Auto" ammo to prove that the "Super" was no hotter.  .38 Auto was going to be the 1911's caliber but the Army required .45 and JMB changed it to comply, so that is what I believe the earlier poster was referring to.  A plain as possible 1911 in .38 Super we can imagine is the gun as he envisioned it.

EDIT:  ah man, went to provide a link but it looks like 38super.net is gone now.  Shame, as that site was great.

As far as the BHP goes I wonder how much Saive is in the gun.  I read somewhere once that they had competing designs at FN during the development of the pistol with Saive's design being get this-----striker fired.  JMB's design was chosen but then he died and Saive had to execute it.  I could be wrong on this, it has been years since I read about it but that is the way I remember it.
View Quote
Wayback has 38 Super Net still... https://web.archive.org/web/,http://38super.net/
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top