Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Wood eat.

Thanks for mentioning the "cilantro root".
I have not tried it (yet).
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He made chili tacos, not slumgullion or taco soup chili
View Quote
FIFY

Although, they are good looking tacos.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

FIFY

View Quote
By that reasoning, clam chowder served in a sourdough bread bowl is a sandwich.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Not bad.
I use beef stock and rendered beef fat with a dash of mesa flour when I sear my beef cubes (on 2 sides).
Then I set them aside to rest.
I fix up my pepper paste to taste, then mix it all together and let it slow cook for 10 hours.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not bad.
I use beef stock and rendered beef fat with a dash of mesa flour when I sear my beef cubes (on 2 sides).
I fix up my pepper paste to taste, then mix it all together and let it slow cook for 10 hours.
View Quote
That's a hell of a cook time. Must be a super low temp
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

A tomato stew without beans is no longer chili. Words only mean things to some people.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A tomato stew without beans is no longer chili. Words only mean things to some people.
View Quote
You're right. Good thing OP made chili. Note the lack of tomatoes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks real good.

The recipe might surpass the skills that I have in the kitchen, however.

An experienced cook probably has heard this before, but the weird ingredient that is in the recipe I use? Coco powder.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not bad.
It melts in your mouth
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
10/10

I think it’s beautiful
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
You live in CA, and have never heard of a soup sandwich? It’s pretty much the perfect description for your state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You live in CA, and have never heard of a soup sandwich? It's pretty much the perfect description for your state.
View Quote
Lol. Your Cali bashing game is as weak as your knowledge of chili.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

You're right, and it's because some idiot added tomatoes to it.

Honestly, the beans are probably the least egregious departure from proper chili. If WOAFP added beans to his dish, I would say "It's still chili but these beans you stirred in seem kind of pointless and stupid". If he made chili the way (most) of America does it and left the beans out, I would say "That ain't chili either. And not only isn't it chili, but honestly - beans would probably help the texture and give you something to chew on. And fuck it, throw some carrots, corn and celery in there while you're busy emptying the fridge. It'll be delicious".

If the protein in your chili is primarily ground beef (or ground anything), you're doing it wrong. If the red color is coming from tomatoes or derived products thereof, you're doing it wrong. If the bulk of the chili flavor is coming from dried chili powder (even worse if you bought a bottle of McCormick at the store), you're doing it wrong. If the heat is primarily coming from super hot fresh peppers, you're doing it wrong. If the thick texture of the liquid portion of it comes from adding flour or other thickeners, you're doing it wrong. I haven't even got to the beans yet. If you've fucked it up this badly, the decision to include beans (or not) is neither here nor there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Honestly, the beans are probably the least egregious departure from proper chili. If the WOAFP added beans to his dish, I would say "It's still chili but these beans you stirred in seem kind of pointless and stupid". If he made chili the way (most) of America does it and left the beans out, I would say "That ain't chili either. And not only isn't it chili, but honestly - beans would probably help the texture and give you something to chew on. And fuck it, throw some carrots, corn and celery in there while you're busy emptying the fridge. It'll be delicious".

If the protein in your chili is primarily ground beef (or ground anything), you're doing it wrong. If the red color is coming from tomatoes or derived products thereof, you're doing it wrong. If the bulk of the chili flavor is coming from dried chili powder (even worse if you bought a bottle of McCormick at the store), you're doing it wrong. If the heat is primarily coming from super hot fresh peppers, you're doing it wrong. If the thick texture of the liquid portion of it comes from adding flour or other thickeners, you're doing it wrong. I haven't even got to the beans yet. If you've fucked it up this badly, the decision to include beans (or not) is neither here nor there.
View Quote
I might get that printed on a canvas and hang it up in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Honestly, the beans are probably the least egregious departure from proper chili. If the WOAFP added beans to his dish, I would say "It's still chili but these beans you stirred in seem kind of pointless and stupid". If he made chili the way (most) of America does it and left the beans out, I would say "That ain't chili either. And not only isn't it chili, but honestly - beans would probably help the texture and give you something to chew on. And fuck it, throw some carrots, corn and celery in there while you're busy emptying the fridge. It'll be delicious".

View Quote
Yep. Sub nailed it on this one. I am prone to make the other "chili" when I'm looking for something that reminds me of home. But I acknowledge the fact that the only thing the two have in common is the presence of some chili peppers, but chili powder and the dehydration needed to make it, sap out almost all of the flavor of a pepper. Which is why I said to look for good flexible peppers in the start of this thread. I make my other tomato and ground beef stew with basically anything I have in my house that seems interesting. Then it gets tossed over pasta and covered in cheese. It taste like everything and nothing all at once and is from a flavor structure standpoint, a complete mess. But it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. It's just probably not really chili.

picture of offending trash bowl.

Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW, regarding the sear on the meat - one thing I do that's a little different, is sear the shit out of the cut before I cube it. I also only do it on one side, because that's all I really need to get the flavor I'm after. It's way easier/faster, because as you rightly pointed out, if you crowd the pan with your cubed meat, you won't get that good crust and the delicious Maillard goodness that comes with it.

I sear the ever loving shit out of one side on wicked high heat (lately, I do this on my grill because I don't have a vent hood worth a shit), pull it off and toss it on a cutting board for a few minutes. When it's cool enough to handle, I cube it right then and there. Doneski. Back in the pot.

This one I did on both sides:

Neat huh?

I also like cooking sweet onions down in mine, because I think it's delicious (I loooooove the sweet taste of onions after they've cooked for a couple hours). I do like to garnish the bowl with a bit of fresh onion for serving - it's a nice contrast.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BTW, regarding the sear on the meat - one thing I do that's a little different, is sear the shit out of the cut before I cube it. I also only do it on one side, because that's all I really need to get the flavor I'm after. It's way easier/faster, because as you rightly pointed out, if you crowd the pan with your cubed meat, you won't get that good crust and the delicious Maillard goodness that comes with it.

I sear the ever loving shit out of one side on wicked high heat (lately, I do this on my grill because I don't have a vent hood worth a shit), pull it off and toss it on a cutting board for a few minutes. When it's cool enough to handle, I cube it right then and there. Doneski. Back in the pot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51536/2017-10-28_02_43_53-346066.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51536/2017-10-28_03_39_28-346090.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51536/2017-10-28_03_47_09-346091.jpg

Neat huh?

I also like cooking sweet onions down in mine, because I think it's delicious (I loooooove the sweet taste of onions after they've cooked for a couple hours). I do like to garnish the bowl with a bit of fresh onion for serving - it's a nice contrast.
View Quote
I wish you could've made it to Cheesecake 2, I made chili, errbody loved it.

You should come down some weekend and we will just cook awesome stuffs all weekend in the barn.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not bad.
Must be. I feel like the beef would turn into shredded beef if I tried that.

The hardest part in nailing it (at least for me), is getting the cook time just right. You want it to be soft enough that you can cut it with a spoon, but firm enough that it doesn't turn to mush when vigorously stirred. If you over cook the beef, it'll be super tender sure, but it gets super stringy and releases all of it juices. Counter-intuitively, it actually tastes like dried meat in a bunch of liquid. And the "chew" is all weird. Not good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Neat huh?

View Quote
He's right, you know.

I am learning the wonderful flavor contrast of a juicy red internal with a black, burnt to hell exterior.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Neat huh?

View Quote
I'd have to sear double the amount of meat needed for the chili.  Otherwise, that beef would all get eaten straight off the cutting board before even having a chance at becoming chili.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wish you could've made it to Cheesecake 2, I made chili, errbody loved it.

You should come down some weekend and we will just cook awesome stuffs all weekend in the barn.
View Quote
Hell, I'm down for that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Needs ground meat, tomato, and beans
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd have to sear double the amount of meat needed for the chili.  Otherwise, that beef would all get eaten straight off the cutting board before even having a chance at becoming chili.
View Quote
It's a struggle. Holy shit, it's a struggle. I always nibble on a couple few before it makes it back into the pot.

Because I'm using a tougher cut (I'm partial to using the flat of a brisket lately - I like the fat ratio, and it's super cheap in Texas) it's not particularly tender at this point in the process...hence the need for it to braise for a while, but it's still pretty fuckin' tasty.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's a struggle. Holy shit, it's a struggle. I always nibble on a couple few before it makes it back into the pot.

Because I'm using a tougher cut (I'm partial to using the flat of a brisket lately - I like the fat ratio, and it's super cheap in Texas) it's not particularly tender at this point in the process...hence the need for it to braise for a while, but it's still pretty fuckin' tasty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Brisket prices are flat out criminal up here.  Like, $5+ per pound.  Last time I was in TX I seriously considered tossing a whole brisket or two in my checked bag for the trip back.  I miss TX something fierce.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The hardest part in nailing it (at least for me), is getting the cook time just right. You want it to be soft enough that you can cut it with a spoon, but firm enough that it doesn't turn to mush when vigorously stirred. If you over cook the beef, it'll be super tender sure, but it gets super stringy and releases all of it juices. Counter-intuitively, it actually tastes like dried meat in a bunch of liquid. And the "chew" is all weird. Not good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not bad.

I tend to make a lot of chili when I make it, so I usually go for the cheapest beef/lb. Cheap is usually tough. There's really no wrong beef to use....I just find something decent that isn't expensive.
Cooking it low and slow tenderizes the cubes. The sear helps hold it together. After it's done cooking, I let it rest for 20-30 minutes and it goes from runny chili to thick chili.
You could take a cube off beef, clean off all the chili on the outside, bite into it and it tastes like chili and beef. It sucks in a lot of flavor.

I have a lot of deer I ground up. The last one I did, I used about 4lbs of beef and about 4lbs of ground deer. It was gone within an hour.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
this is strangely, the most civil chili thread I've ever seen on here. Well done gents.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY

I haven't had one of those sandwiches in a long time. If it wasn't so damned hot this week I'd make one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
this is strangely, the most civil chili thread I've ever seen on here. Well done gents.
View Quote
Here's my last one, I used a whole brisket.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-A-real-deal-chili-thread-IT-S-Ready/5-2179258/?page=1
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Honestly, the beans are probably the least egregious departure from proper chili.
View Quote
Yep.  Time to dig up the pictures from an old thread.

Chili ingredients:

Shitty bean soup ingredients:

Adding beans to the top picture or taking beans away from the bottom wouldn't really change the fact that one is going to be a decent tasting meal and one is going to be pretty meh.  People who think tasteless filler like beans are a critical component of chili don't know enough to know how silly that statement even is.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I love you OP, no homo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#31]
holy shit the chili thread to end all chili threads. you win op.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Chocolate chicken chilli topping?

It looks good, I bet it tastes good and I'd eat it, but this northener considers chill to be a meal, not something you stuff in a burrito or put on a hotdog.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It looks good, I bet it tastes good and I'd eat it, but this northener considers chill to be a meal, not something you stuff in a burrito or put on a hotdog.
View Quote
I would be pretty confused and impressed to see 1" chunks of beef stacked on top of hotdog.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would be pretty confused and impressed to see 1" chunks of beef stacked on top of hotdog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm confused and impressed that you made chocolate chicken burrito and are calling it chilli. Still looks tasty though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Oyes cabron, 'on 'tá el gusano?

Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Oyes cabron, 'on 'tá el gusano?

View Quote
there aren't any worms in real mezcals. That was a marketing trick by one maker.

eta: although it is typically served with worm salt and oranges
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I love you OP, no homo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2019 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Ooh boy. It's even tastier as leftovers
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ooh boy. It's even tastier as leftovers
View Quote
So for something a little different, have the leftovers on top of scrambled eggs tomorrow AM.

If you're really up for a treat, make homemade biscuits, pile on the eggs, cover with chili................
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Neat huh?

View Quote
 The meat in your pic would never get put in my chili.

I would probably eat all before it made it in!
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I took the easy way out and picked up some chill from wendy's tonight.

Must have been my lucky night as there was extra beans.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You forgot the beans.
View Quote
Yes he did. Enjoy your meat stew/paste op
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's called chili!
View Quote
That's were you're wrong kiddo
Link Posted: 7/23/2019 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I took the easy way out and picked up some chill from wendy's tonight.

Must have been my lucky night as there was extra beans.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with having leftover soup
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#45]
OST

Ok fucking delivers. Making this tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I gotta see if the tejans get mad at me for appropriating their culture.
View Quote
I did a double take when I saw "KY" there.  That recipe was fucking

You have an impressive array of cooking implements, Mexi beers, and Mezcals!
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
why use chicken stock and not beef stock 100% Shiner Bock?
View Quote
OP, not too bad.

It'll make a turdTM.

At least you kept with the general concept of chili and not some Yankee misappropriation.

Oh, and I also prefer my chili with pork as you stated you generally use.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
why use chicken stock and not beef stock?
View Quote
Rookie move! LOL

Every cooking show I've ever seen uses chicken stock for beef dishes.  Weird, I know, but they swear by it!
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#50]
lol holy shit that looks awesome. I've always been pretty ambivalent about chili, but I think I might try making this recipe soon.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top