BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3090
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
I made this dagger for my wife a few years ago. I always thought it would make for an nice folder.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG_5669c-485471.jpg

I finally got around to testing it out. Just over 7.5" open, blade length is 3.125" and frame is 4.375". Both edges will be sharpened so I didn't do a full dagger grind on the top side as it would cut your finger when closing it. What do you guys think of the design?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG_6445c-1785307.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG_6444c-1785306.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78788/IMG_6442c-1785305.jpg
View Quote

I like it. It's a great size to carry although even with the smart grind choice and looks like it'd fill the hand well

Although front flipper with that grind would be pretty slick too. Ready to go in an instant and double edged
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

I like the lines
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:
Looks good!
How is access to the thumb stud in the hand? It looks like it might be narrow in the pictures.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Looks good!
How is access to the thumb stud in the hand? It looks like it might be narrow in the pictures.

The stud sits proud about .060. It's a bit higher than I would normally do it but it was necessary to allow opening the knife comfortably. I had to try several different lengths to get it right.

Originally Posted By rbb2:

Very cool!

Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

I like it. It's a great size to carry although even with the smart grind choice and looks like it'd fill the hand well

Although front flipper with that grind would be pretty slick too. Ready to go in an instant and double edged

It's interesting that you guys like it my wife does also. I'm having a hard time with it. I know it has nice lines and functions well but something about it does not seem right.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
https://i.imgur.com/igZZzbu.jpg

View Quote

That looks delicious. Really like the inlays on the 31, too, at least compared to the 21. The back end still looks a bit funky, though, with that little "nub" by the lanyard hole. I think they should have just continued the arc, instead.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]

The stud sits proud about .060. It's a bit higher than I would normally do it but it was necessary to allow opening the knife comfortably. I had to try several different lengths to get it right.

It's interesting that you guys like it my wife does also. I'm having a hard time with it. I know it has nice lines and functions well but something about it does not seem right.

View Quote

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the symmetrical "palm swell" looks a bit odd on a folder.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Taxidermy, beer and whiskey signs, and centerfolds.
View Quote

I was going to say the centerfolds thing sounds a bit trashy, but it is Michigan.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]

I laughed my ass off...

I just noticed in the cereal picture that "JazzBerry" is waving Jazz hands.
Sorry if I'm the only one that found that interesting/amusing...I'm back on mids and have only had one cup of coffee so far today.
View Quote

It was quite a find.

I thought it was funny.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

She has good taste despite marrying you?

Does it have a clip? I would think that would be difficult to do without taking away from the lines.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the symmetrical "palm swell" looks a bit odd on a folder.

That is what I thought initially too, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

She has good taste despite marrying you?

Does it have a clip? I would think that would be difficult to do without taking away from the lines.

That is what I thought initially too, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.
View Quote

Same here, I had actually typed that out initially and then deleted it after looking at the picture again before hitting submit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Because it's not made from natural materials or pattern welded metals?

I originally thought it opened a little far but it was how my phone scaled the image.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#13]
https://i.imgur.com/igZZzbu.jpg

View Quote

Well that looks amazing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
While sitting here cooking, I am pondering getting a Hinderer of some sort.  Saw a cool Halftrack on bladeforums.  If you just wanted one to play with, which model would you prefer?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:42:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: conndcj] [#15]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
If you just want to dip your toes in, gotta be the XM series.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By conndcj:
While sitting here cooking, I am pondering getting a Hinderer of some sort.  Saw a cool Halftrack on bladeforums.  If you just wanted one to play with, which model would you prefer?  Thanks.
View Quote

For the "quintessential" Hinderer, definitely an XM-18 or XM-24. In your case, with your love for THICC knives, I'd say the 24.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Make sure it has a butter groove.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Centerfolds ain’t gonna fly. Couple of Boars already on the wall. I’m thinking I need a couple of good bottles and a nice glass set, Mad Men style. I’m gonna go to Costco and buy some of the shit you guys post.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#20]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

https://i.imgur.com/IWVkFtO.jpg
View Quote

showoff
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#21]
So here's the deal on Hinderer.

They come out in batches so you might have wait a while to find the blade style you want unless you buy used.

DLT has swedged spear points right now. It's about time for a new batch to come out so you might want to see what pops up.

XM 18 3.5" is the most popular by far and will have the most options for aftermarket scales if you decide to change up.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
Centerfolds ain’t gonna fly. Couple of Boars already on the wall. I’m thinking I need a couple of good bottles and a nice glass set, Mad Men style. I’m gonna go to Costco and buy some of the shit you guys post.
View Quote

Why don't you do something a little more Michigany.

Aren't you guys really good at meth?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Scotch is lighter fluid that gone awry.

Details on the painting?
View All Quotes

Scotch is lighter fluid that gone awry.

Details on the painting?

Thanks, I was going to say something, too, it looks like a cool print. Very interested to see some better pics.

Thanks for asking - My mom might recall where she got them way back probably late 70's. They are this cool foil that changes quite a lot at different angles and light levels. I took a couple of angles on the first two to try to show it but it is even better in person. These still weren't that great of light.

("Pfalz vs Nieuport 27 1917")

Are you calling me an alcoholic?

You can take credit for the 1920. And the Buffalo Trace probably. And the deBuyer I use every day. Did you say Crisbee puck? Probably other stuff I am missing.

As for the Defiant, yeah, I think it is pretty bad. The smell really, the flavor wasn't necessarily horrible. I tried to leave the door open in my review of it because I am self aware enough to know that there is something out there for everyone and maybe this one just wasn't for me. I could see where a scotch drinker or someone less discerning might think it is the bees knees just because it stands out, even if in the wrong way for me. If it was straight up bad, I would have said so (the Wisconsin Wheat was straight up bad, no idea what they were thinking putting that in a bottle). Only way you get to find your next favorite thing is to try new things. Someone else picking something for me removes all personal bias, so I am guaranteed to try something I might not have otherwise tried.

As long as we are being frank right now, you can't give rational break downs to my diatribes; it messes with the slightly crazy persona I am trying to build up here.

So one of them could be Snoopy and the Red Baron?

I like Snoopy.

Do you like dogs?

What are you doing in August?

I think Snoopy was an alcoholic for sure. He flew a Sopwith Camel though if I recall, which would put him in a different one of the prints.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:33:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerShanks] [#24]

Why don't you do something a little more Michigany.

Aren't you guys really good at meth?
View Quote

We were really good at ecstasy in the early 2000’s. I’m still a bit south of mid-Michigan meth country. I doubt it’s really good. Nothing mid-Michigan is really good.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Love the daggers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Go to DLT trading and get their exclusive XM-24 swedged spear.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]

We were really good at ecstasy in the early 2000’s. I’m still a bit south of mid-Michigan meth country. I doubt it’s really good. Nothing mid-Michigan is really good.
View Quote

I didn’t mean good as in good stuff, I meant good as in do a lot of it. I’m not aware of Michigan doing any good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sywagon:

Thanks for asking - My mom might recall where she got them way back probably late 70's. They are this cool foil that changes quite a lot at different angles and light levels. I took a couple of angles on the first two to try to show it but it is even better in person. These still weren't that great of light.

https://i.imgur.com/wD2D0E0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c3K0VN8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3lCLcXA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zHLdKD2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vTZFcfv.jpg

I think Snoopy was an alcoholic for sure. He flew a Sopwith Camel though if I recall, which would put him in a different one of the prints.

https://i.imgur.com/i7SO4Ri.jpg
View Quote

Those are pretty cool in better light.

You didn’t answer my questions. You must be suspect of my aims...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Those are pretty cool in better light.

You didn't answer my questions. You must be suspect of my aims...
View Quote
Oh yeah, I forgot after parsing all the photos...

Short version - Love dogs, can't have any, don't miss the mess. I grew up with a Springer that was my constant companion and family had many dogs over the years. My last personally was a Newfoundland. My wife has severe asthma that is badly triggered by any pets so I haven't had one in over 25 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GingerShanks] [#30]

I didn’t mean good as in good stuff, I meant good as in do a lot of it. I’m not aware of Michigan doing any good stuff.
View Quote

GMC and Bob Seger.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#34]
https://i.imgur.com/3gioxsk.jpg
View Quote
Winning!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cubie:
https://i.imgur.com/hO3vD9Q.jpg
View Quote
That looks really cool, and I could actually see using it quite a bit around here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Because it's not made from natural materials or pattern welded metals?

I originally thought it opened a little far but it was how my phone scaled the image.

View Quote

I still haven't figured out what is bothering me. The materials don't bother me as I use them a lot in my working knives. It opens dead center. I had to be very careful on the stop to ensure it didn't open to far.

I could do a pocket clip but it would only be tip down carry. Tip up carry would be dangerous with the length of the thumb stud. Personally I think a clip on this knife would detract from it's functionality.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Winning!
View Quote

Not my pic, no knife.  I just thought it looked good. Big pile o meat.

No, THIS was my dinner. Wife killed it with the flavors on this plate. Over the top.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#38]

I still haven't figured out what is bothering me. The materials don't bother me as I use them a lot in my working knives. It opens dead center. I had to be very careful on the stop to ensure it didn't open to far.

I could do a pocket clip but it would only be tip down carry. Tip up carry would be dangerous with the length of the thumb stud. Personally I think a clip on this knife would detract from it's functionality.
View Quote

I only ever see the jewelry knives on your site, what working knives?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#39]

That looks delicious. Really like the inlays on the 31, too, at least compared to the 21. The back end still looks a bit funky, though, with that little "nub" by the lanyard hole. I think they should have just continued the arc, instead.
View Quote

Me too. I didn't like the old inlays. Once I saw the style for the 31 I decided I'd give it a try, and I really like the way they feel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#40]
https://i.imgur.com/atzcmDXh.jpg
View Quote

Great pic with a good little knife
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Kiltakaze:

Well that looks amazing.
View Quote

Possibly keto from what I heard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Whose got some good home office decor ideas? Trying to give mine a man cavish feel.
View Quote

Guns, whiskey, naked chick calenders and knives.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

My wife's GMC was made in Texas. Our prior vehicle, Buick, was made in Lansing.

Bob Seger is a good guy.

I forgot about pasties, but that is UP, and I don't really consider UP part of Michigan, more like a lesser Wisconsin, so even if technically Michigan, don't think I can give you points for that.

My Steelcase Leap V2 was made in Michigan I think.  Might have to return it though. It is very comfortable in so many ways, but feels like the seat might be getting worn out. I bought it used. I'd be inclined to buy a new version of it and give it a try, but Michigan.

Founders is really good, I'll give you that.

I think Michigan has done some good blueberries.

Not really a strong list.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Typically I'd say a Gen 6 XM-18 would be a good intro but I know you like them thicc and juicy so a XM-24 or half track may be in your wheelhouse
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh yeah, I forgot after parsing all the photos...

Short version - Love dogs, can't have any, don't miss the mess. I grew up with a Springer that was my constant companion and family had many dogs over the years. My last personally was a Newfoundland. My wife has severe asthma that is badly triggered by any pets so I haven't had one in over 25 years.
View Quote

Bummer. I vaguely remember you mentioning that before.

Can't help me with my dog boarding issue then.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 762AR25:

Go to DLT trading and get their exclusive XM-24 swedged spear.
View Quote

W   I   S   C   O   N   S   I   N
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#47]

https://i.imgur.com/IWVkFtO.jpg
View Quote

Solid advice, flavor saver.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#48]

W   I   S   C   O   N   S   I   N
View Quote

Rank the following in order of importance in your life:

Beer
Cheese
Green Bay Packers
Polka
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:38:25 PM EDT
[#49]
So here's the deal on Hinderer.

They come out in batches so you might have wait a while to find the blade style you want unless you buy used.

DLT has swedged spear points right now. It's about time for a new batch to come out so you might want to see what pops up.

XM 18 3.5" is the most popular by far and will have the most options for aftermarket scales if you decide to change up.

View Quote

Plus the secondary market isn't insane anymore unless it's a really hard to find run.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#50]

https://i.imgur.com/wD2D0E0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c3K0VN8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3lCLcXA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zHLdKD2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vTZFcfv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i7SO4Ri.jpg
View Quote

Those are really cool. When I was a kid my room was decorated in airplanes and similar prints. I don't think they survived all the moving.
Page / 3090
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top