Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Does this seem "cheaper" all the sudden? Not the shipping. I just don't recall seeing decent milsurp 308 for less than $1/round in the last year, and now the same hirt is available from multiple retailers.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice, aimsurplus use to do the same kind of form. Some state law for them or something I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was 47 bucks for shipping, no tax and I didn't have to fill out that form. What was that all about? I was thinking it would make me fill it out after my checkout but nope. My card got charged and everything, got an email verification.

Nice, aimsurplus use to do the same kind of form. Some state law for them or something I think.

I ordered the same thing from Aimsurplus just in case the Max Arms order fell through. I just noticed that the second email I got from them states that the order is "up for review", whatever that means. probably make me fill out the form.
They want a copy of my DL/ How the hell do i do that? My scanner/printer doesn't work.
Glad i ordered from Aim, even though it was about 80 bucks more.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

ordered...shipping to PA was 44 bucks...worked out cheaper than AIM...

View Quote

Did you send them a copy of your DL?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Did you send them a copy of your DL?
View Quote

For my order, no. I put my FFL info in the little box below billing info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#5]
my order from AIM was shipping $21.87 , they have never gouged me or asked for my D/L
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone that has ordered, do they add tax as well once you actually check out?  Might be worth it if not, but if so I think I'll just stick with the 1000 rounds of tula I've already got.
View Quote

if a thousand rounds does it for you ok , me im more comfortable with getting my numbers up further , im just glad i streamed down the number of calibers i keep
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Got all you guys beat for shipping cost.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the high shipping the result of no more ORM-D shipping?
View Quote

its about suplimenting their cost of ammo , draw you in with cheap price and stab you on shipping and "handling" costs , they  will ship the slowest form possible
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

its about supplementing their cost of ammo , draw you in with cheap price and stab you on shipping and "handling" costs , they  will ship the slowest form possible
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"This product requires an ammunition statement form if you do not have an FFL."

Lol.  They can keep their ammo.
View Quote

They never asked me for anything, other than my address, email and credit card info.   $320 shipped for me
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#11]
See DSA is out but reading their ad it lists it as Berdan/non reloadable.  AIM is higher but lists their's as Boxer
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For my order, no. I put my FFL info in the little box below billing info.
View Quote

Ok, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"This product requires an ammunition statement form if you do not have an FFL."

Lol.  They can keep their ammo.
View Quote

Didn’t Aim Surplus do that back in the day?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#14]
$107 for 800 rounds to ship to me. No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#15]

In the old days there were 2 types of Hirt,  with green primer sealer or red.  Green was the good one as I recall, red was less accurate.  The red was on par with other surplus, but the green shot tighter groups.  It all fired, it was just group size.   To me,  the green was better , but not good enough to satisfy for accurate shooting, so not worth more than other surplus.  So I sold it all to people who were impressed by it and paying extra for it.  

btw, the south African 308 was sought after but kinda sucked.  SA had a good reputation because of 5.56, that people improperly carried over to 308.  So I sold all of that too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#16]
LOL @ .70/round for surplus grade fmj. For another few pennies per round you can buy quality name brand soft points.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LOL @ .70/round for surplus grade fmj. For another few pennies per round you can buy quality name brand soft points.
View Quote

Where?   I'm not against paying a little more for better ammo.  TIA.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Post some links! I need good ammo!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You laugh but people are selling out of 5.56 / .223 at this price or more. Post links of cheap SP ammo please.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#20]
They had 7.62nato in stock at sportsmans yesterday for 55cpr
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  I never ordered ammo from them either, for that reason.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#23]
They want a copy of your drivers license?

Sure.  I am 100% convinced that is completely legitimate.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They had 7.62nato in stock at sportsmans yesterday for 55cpr
View Quote

Wolf?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes and then got hacked
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
40.00  ship to Ohio ouch

Aim surplus has it stock for 349.00  no paperwork BS I live in Oh cost me just under 380.00 TMD

https://aimsurplus.com/austrian-hirtenberger-7-62x51-400rd-can-milsurp-on-stripper-clips-and-bandoliers/

View Quote

Yeah, but I can get to me in NW OH for $331 shipped. I loves me some AIM but they're 2+ hours south of me AND more expensive than having it shipped in.

Hard to justify.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You laugh but people are selling out of 5.56 / .223 at this price or more. Post links of cheap SP ammo please.
View Quote

Just checked Ammoseek. $0.82/round is as good as it gets there. Tracers, brass cased. Steel Cased Tula is a few cents more a round.

I'd love to find this soft point stuff, too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]
What do you guys think of tracers? I'm thinking of getting some just for fun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What do you guys think of tracers? I'm thinking of getting some just for fun.
View Quote

Neat but largely useless unless you live near a desert or have your own range.

Most ranges forbid their use as they can be a fire hazard...they also tell people your shooting location.

If I live someplace where they could be shot for fun without fear of burning something down I'd keep a few hundred on hand.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#30]
FYI, Max Arms is legit and they're aware their shipping quotes are wonky.

I just took delivery of a few cases and without breaking them open everything looks kosher.

They asked that if your shipping quote is crazy, call and place the order over the phone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#31]
So why is it that when i put two cases in the cart, its higher than the price they have on their ad?

Edited: Just spoke to Max Arms, if you want a better price call them! I got a way better price on shipping and the gentleman on the phone is amazing!  And if you want a crate you have to choose the crate option, dont pick two ammo cans because it costs more, shipping only cost me $22 to central Ohio!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I checked the status and my order is on hold, with no reason why listed (probably due to not filling out the form).  May give them a call, especially if I can get a better shipping price that way.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So why is it that when i put two cases in the cart, its higher than the price they have on their ad?

Edited: Just spoke to Max Arms, if you want a better price call them! I got a way better price on shipping and the gentleman on the phone is amazing!  And if you want a crate you have to choose the crate option, dont pick two ammo cans because it costs more, shipping only cost me $22 to central Ohio!
View Quote

Did you place the order before calling them, or afterwards?  I'm wondering if I can get a fix on the shipping, too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is that good or bad?
Also... 40 yr old ammo?
View Quote

I have been working on my stash of Hirt for 20 years. It's excellent, and equal to new M80 ball in every aspect, and more accurate in the M1A and FAL.

Storage is everything.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Neat but largely useless unless you live near a desert or have your own range.

Most ranges forbid their use as they can be a fire hazard...they also tell people your shooting location.

If I live someplace where they could be shot for fun without fear of burning something down I'd keep a few hundred on hand.
View Quote

Kinda what I'm thinking. I just wanna have some for the next time we go out to New Mexico and do some blasting (who knows when that will happen).
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Were you able to give them the drivers license info over the phone? Did theu even ask for it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I checked the status and my order is on hold, with no reason why listed (probably due to not filling out the form).  May give them a call, especially if I can get a better shipping price that way.
View Quote

So's mine. If you call them, please update whether or not they asked for your DL info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Ordered. Thanks OP. I have an FFL, so that made it easier.

This may end up in the “sell to desperate people” pile. I don’t shoot a lot of .308.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Call in to place your order.  Talked to Dan and he fixed the shipping quote for me.  Saved about $40, roughly $300 out the door

Definitely going back to these guys, cool dude on the phone

Dan - when you finally sign up here holler at us
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Call in to place your order.  Talked to Dan and he fixed the shipping quote for me.  Saved about $40, roughly $300 out the door

Definitely going back to these guys, cool dude on the phone

Dan - when you finally sign up here holler at us
View Quote

Spoke to Dan also. Very cool dude got mine down to $300 too. Mentioned AR15.com he said a lot of people were calling because of this thread.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In the old days there were 2 types of Hirt,  with green primer sealer or red.  Green was the good one as I recall, red was less accurate.  The red was on par with other surplus, but the green shot tighter groups.  It all fired, it was just group size.   To me,  the green was better , but not good enough to satisfy for accurate shooting, so not worth more than other surplus.  So I sold it all to people who were impressed by it and paying extra for it.  

btw, the south African 308 was sought after but kinda sucked.  SA had a good reputation because of 5.56, that people improperly carried over to 308.  So I sold all of that too.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

whats wrong with the SA , ive been getting it in battle packs , ive only run maybe 20 rds through a LR308 and it seems great
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#43]
After i put the order in, they canceled it and reordered it over the phone
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Nope no drivers license required or anything related to their message
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
After i put the order in, they canceled it and reordered it over the phone
View Quote

Cool.  I forgot about the time difference, so it was too late for today, but I'll give them a call tomorrow and try doing the same and seeing what the hold is about (might also be due to me sending it to an AZ address).
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep. I called today also. Dan canceled my order and gave me a better deal plus fixed the shipping. Super nice guy, I’d order from him anytime!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#47]
From DSArms, mine ended up being 74 cents a rounds after shipping. Not bad considering there's no limits.  You can order thousands of rounds.  And they come with the ammo tins and bandoleers.  If you figure a surplus ammo tin is $15, then that brings the cost down to 71 cents a round for the ammo.

Look around for the bandolier and stripper clips and those are selling for $25 a set. Each of these ammo tins comes with 8 sets.  Not saying you'll sell them all for $25 a pop.  But I'm sure you could get back some of your money if you really wanted to.  Probably get you down to 60 or even 50 cents a round after selling those things off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

whats wrong with the SA , ive been getting it in battle packs , ive only run maybe 20 rds through a LR308 and it seems great
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The South African 308 had soft brass. I had a ton of it and always had difficult extraction from my savage bolt gun. I think it was made for the g3 with the fluted chamber
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

And where are you finding these name brand soft points $.75/round  nowadays?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yep. I called today also. Dan canceled my order and gave me a better deal plus fixed the shipping. Super nice guy, I’d order from him anytime!
View Quote

Definitely a nice guy and fixed my shipping price as well.  Ended up being less than what DSA would have cost after shipping if they still had ammo when I tried to order.  

I'd never heard of them before this week, but I'd definitely be happy to do business with them again.  Don't forget that they have .303 as well, for guys who need that, and at a reasonable price given today's market conditions.  I was rather surprised to see that.  It's been a few years now since I've seen surplus .303 online, period.  

Funny thing is that if it wasn't for the e-mail from DSA on the Hirtenberger ammo, I probably never would have heard of this business, as I found them when looking to see if anyone other than DSA got the ammo so I could compare pricing (AIM has it, too, but it would cost me over $400 to get it from them).  Sounds like he's getting a lot of orders from folks registered here on ARFCOM.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top