Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2022 11:55:50 AM EDT
A song I wrote about my sink, and my wife.....   :)

comments on mix are welcomed...

https://41twin.bandcamp.com/track/ssl-stainless-steel-love
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I find it extremely clever; sink/wife is great.  Mix sounds spot on to my ears out of the little pc speakers.  Nothing but good vibes from me, I was wondering when you were going to share some new stuff, keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The bass needs more presence. That bass riff is the motif; it needs to pop, be punchier. Maybe ease up on the compression?

Is it DI only, or do you have a mic'ed bass amp channel that you could blend in more?

It's basically a good mix. The doubling on the main vocals sounds good. There are a couple of places where some harmony parts come in way too hot (like the overdubbed vocal in the lyric "so well"). I'd pull those particular tracks back, and maybe wet them up with some effects.

The guitar and the piano are OK, I'd just bring them out during parts where there are no vocals, and duck them when the singing starts again. The piano lines and guitar solo need to have the same presence as the vocals when the latter is absent, just to maintain interest. They need to take the lead in those moments, otherwise they just come off as flat parts in the song.

Drums sound alright. There's an overtone on the snare that verges on being annoying, but it's nothing I'd go back and mess with too much. The rim knocks sound good. It's not a big drum song; I think you basically have them sitting in the right place.

Sounds pretty good overall.

eta: It's a catchy tune. Been going through my head the past hour
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I find it extremely clever; sink/wife is great.  Mix sounds spot on to my ears out of the little pc speakers.  Nothing but good vibes from me, I was wondering when you were going to share some new stuff, keep up the good work.
View Quote

Thank you sir!!!!!! That means a lot to me.

It sounds kinda crappy to me on my little computer speakers. so im thankful thats not the case for you.  i dont normally listen to much music that way so that one is far down on my list.  but real good recordings sound good on those, so i got a lot to learn.  lol.  

we were pretty much at a once every 3 weeks groove.  im trying to slow a little and take more care in the whole production.  and im not sure what is a goid schrdule for others.   coming up our schedule will have more to do with target dates of some birthdays of people  doing songs for.   but maybe a month is typically a good length in between.   ?????   who knows.  you can tell me what u think.  u working on anything?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The bass needs more presence. That bass riff is the motif; it needs to pop, be punchier. Maybe ease up on the compression?

Is it DI only, or do you have a mic'ed bass amp channel that you could blend in more?

It's basically a good mix. The doubling on the main vocals sounds good. There are a couple of places where some harmony parts come in way too hot (like the overdubbed vocal in the lyric "so well"). I'd pull those particular tracks back, and maybe wet them up with some effects.

The guitar and the piano are OK, I'd just bring them out during parts where there are no vocals, and duck them when the singing starts again. The piano lines and guitar solo need to have the same presence as the vocals when the latter is absent, just to maintain interest. They need to take the lead in those moments, otherwise they just come off as flat parts in the song.

Drums sound alright. There's an overtone on the snare that verges on being annoying, but it's nothing I'd go back and mess with too much. The rim knocks sound good. It's not a big drum song; I think you basically have them sitting in the right place.

View Quote

No compression on bass.  Its my pbass through a smaller ampeg amp and one track recorded with a pg81.   After 35 songs in the last two years and basically experimenting on every song, im still trying to figure how to make it sound super good.  that was the first time i used that amp on bass.   it doesnt have a di out.  i normally double the bass and use both track but this was the first time i used a single track and then used a stereo enhancer in reaper.  Ive only done pure di on bass once and i didnt love that either.  but it was early on and didnt use any affects other than i had it running through my fuzz pedal.  im a work in progress.  

in the first two verses i thought thats pretty much did with the guitar and keys.  only used them when not singing. then of course for the chorus and end i played with the singing for a more chorus sound.  thats not something i would change but i appreciate the input.  i did endeavour to have the solo up in the mix to replace the singing.  its two tracks two different times playing panned opposite each other close to the middle.  i thought i had the volume in a good spot to do that.  plus truth be told, im sort of not always in love with guitar solos in general.  especially my own.  i do them sometimes and sometimes like them.  i sometimes like other peoples.  sometimes they just annoy me so i may be downplaying the guitar solo part.  i wanted it to be heard but i dont want it in the listeners face as much as typical.  but i do get that it needs to be in a proper spot to work so i appreciate the feedback.  and the other tips too.  

i let my drummer pick what snares and sounds.  i personally liked it but my perception a lot of people have strong ideas of what a snare should sound like.  it feels like a pretty hard thing to do to please everyone in thst regard.  it might be the wrong approach but i have a very, it is what it is approach to music and i dont try to tweak all my sounds to the same degree as a lot of other musicians.  i look at it like a space in time and just trying to capture the actual sounds as best i can.  the drummer does his kit at his house and i just try and mix it to sound like what he sends me.  but i do try to do post tracking refining with plugins and eq.  but most of the time im not overly aggressive in trying to change the sound.  just make it big enough for the mix.  im still learning though and changing what i do almost every song.  

can i ask what u listened to it on for my reference???  
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You inspired me with your release to get on task and get at least one of my projects into my typical rough release form.  A month or so back I asked for song ideas at work and got back "Milkshake".  So, I put together lyrics about milkshakes that I think will end up being rapped? Not like the Kelis "Milkshake" song someone pointed me too later. I started crafting a percussion part for it, but I'm total newb at that so it stalled.  It might also fit a Jimmy Buffet "Cheeseburger in Paradise" style or whatever since there's no rules? A few days ago, I revisited the online lyric generators for ideas and after reloading the pages few times I grabbed 3 or 4 ideas.  After much lyric modification I have one of those ready.  Picked a chord progression and recorded last night and this morning.  Turns out I really struggling with fingering a clean "C chord" on my acoustic.  Made a really simple percussion line with a virtual instrument, so I learned tiny bit more about those now.  I could turn it loose on the curious now, but I'm going to tinker with adding a bass line and either an electric guitar part or keyboard to fill out some areas and maybe try a few more times on the acoustic part.  Just one good take on a verse/chorus and I could copy and paste for the remainder.  Is that cheating?  I'm tuned down 1/2 step and still my fingers are raw (that keyboard idea is sounding really good right now).  TLDR yet?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No compression on bass.  Its my pbass through a smaller ampeg amp and one track recorded with a pg81.   After 35 songs in the last two years and basically experimenting on every song, im still trying to figure how to make it sound super good.  that was the first time i used that amp on bass.   it doesnt have a di out.  i normally double the bass and use both track but this was the first time i used a single track and then used a stereo enhancer in reaper.  Ive only done pure di on bass once and i didnt love that either.  but it was early on and didnt use any affects other than i had it running through my fuzz pedal.  im a work in progress.  

in the first two verses i thought thats pretty much did with the guitar and keys.  only used them when not singing. then of course for the chorus and end i played with the singing for a more chorus sound.  thats not something i would change but i appreciate the input.  i did endeavour to have the solo up in the mix to replace the singing.  its two tracks two different times playing panned opposite each other close to the middle.  i thought i had the volume in a good spot to do that.  plus truth be told, im sort of not always in love with guitar solos in general.  especially my own.  i do them sometimes and sometimes like them.  i sometimes like other peoples.  sometimes they just annoy me so i may be downplaying the guitar solo part.  i wanted it to be heard but i dont want it in the listeners face as much as typical.  but i do get that it needs to be in a proper spot to work so i appreciate the feedback.  and the other tips too.  

i let my drummer pick what snares and sounds.  i personally liked it but my perception a lot of people have strong ideas of what a snare should sound like.  it feels like a pretty hard thing to do to please everyone in thst regard.  it might be the wrong approach but i have a very, it is what it is approach to music and i dont try to tweak all my sounds to the same degree as a lot of other musicians.  i look at it like a space in time and just trying to capture the actual sounds as best i can.  the drummer does his kit at his house and i just try and mix it to sound like what he sends me.  but i do try to do post tracking refining with plugins and eq.  but most of the time im not overly aggressive in trying to change the sound.  just make it big enough for the mix.  im still learning though and changing what i do almost every song.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a pair of Yamaha HS8s.

Keep experimenting. You're on the right track.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had pointed that out in a previous track, notching out 470Hz or so seemed to take care of it.

And I agree, like all OPs songs, they are 'catchy', they have a good personality to them.  I enjoy listening.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I had pointed that out in a previous track, notching out 470Hz or so seemed to take care of it.

And I agree, like all OPs songs, they are 'catchy', they have a good personality to them.  I enjoy listening.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I was hesitant to say anything, because ringing from a snare can add character.

That's what I always appreciated about Matt Cameron's drumming with Soundgarden. His snare had ridiculous overtones that they left in there, which I respect.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You inspired me with your release to get on task and get at least one of my projects into my typical rough release form.  A month or so back I asked for song ideas at work and got back "Milkshake".  So, I put together lyrics about milkshakes that I think will end up being rapped? Not like the Kelis "Milkshake" song someone pointed me too later. I started crafting a percussion part for it, but I'm total newb at that so it stalled.  It might also fit a Jimmy Buffet "Cheeseburger in Paradise" style or whatever since there's no rules? A few days ago, I revisited the online lyric generators for ideas and after reloading the pages few times I grabbed 3 or 4 ideas.  After much lyric modification I have one of those ready.  Picked a chord progression and recorded last night and this morning.  Turns out I really struggling with fingering a clean "C chord" on my acoustic.  Made a really simple percussion line with a virtual instrument, so I learned tiny bit more about those now.  I could turn it loose on the curious now, but I'm going to tinker with adding a bass line and either an electric guitar part or keyboard to fill out some areas and maybe try a few more times on the acoustic part.  Just one good take on a verse/chorus and I could copy and paste for the remainder.  Is that cheating?  I'm tuned down 1/2 step and still my fingers are raw (that keyboard idea is sounding really good right now).  TLDR yet?
View Quote

Wow.  Im glad it inspired you to move forward with yours!!!!   Lyric generator?   Wow.  Im not typically at a loss for words.  but sometimes.  mainly the issue is: is there a subject or thing im trying to say thats even worth saying.  in my mind.  my desire would be to be able to be abstract and poetic but i usually just end up saying things more obvious and matter of fact.  blaaaaa.  lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top