Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2018 4:46:23 PM EDT
I knew a guy that went to prison on a 25-to-life sentence. He was 24. I thought about him the other day, so I looked him up on the DOC website. Apparently he got paroled after 30 years. He's been out about 3 years.

I know another guy who got a 29-58 year sentence when he was 23. He's been in almost 4 years.

I have no sympathy for either one. As far as I'm concerned, the first should have never been let out, and the second never should be.

The part I find incomprehensible is actually serving a sentence like that. The first guy went to prison right around the time I went in the Army. I did 22 years in the Army, and looking back, it's like it flew by. Then again, I wasn't locked up. I just don't think I could, or would want to survive that long in prison. For what? What would I have left of my life, going in in my mid twenties, and getting out in my mid fifties? I just can't conceive of what I would be looking forward to to keep me going.

Faced with a sentence like that, I think I'd plea bargain to get the death penalty, carried out as quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've often thought the same thing.

That's why I never attached a bayonet to my AR during the ban.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have thought about this before. One way or another, I’m not going to prison.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say a lot of people probably think about that.

Which is exactly why when the rolling gun bans become law, people will gladly turn in their guns, and plenty of people will rat out other guns owners.

People are simply too comfortable to get off the couch, get away from Netflix, log off of ARFcom to fight for gun rights.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
A good friend of mine did a 2 year stretch for pissing off the IRS.

He was completely changed.  The time spent being told what to do, no mental stimulation, no creativity or initiative was devastating.  It's been over 20 years since he's been out and it's still effecting him.

After 30?  You're worthless.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Humans are adaptable, more so that we give ourselves credit for sometimes. Although I would not want to be locked up for 30 days much less 30 years, people find things in there to look forward to and even enjoy. I think a lot of that might have to do with habitual criminals sort of already accepting their fate, but regular people that fuck up once get used to it too.

I think its one of those things where you need to experience it to understand it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I know a guy who got a 23 year sentence down from about 100 years of charges...interstate transport of a mobile meth lab, several onces of uncut crystal, and about $60K in cash, he crossed 3-4 state lines with everything.

They were able to deal it down to the bare minimums, he was lucky he got what he got.

At first I didn't feel sorry for the dude, I mean he got caught doing something beyond all measure of stupidity.

But I know his wife, his family, and saw his kid grow up on facebook without a dad.

I think he somehow got parolled early or maybe he was one of the drug cases Obama pardoned early.

But apparently he got out after doing 14 or so years in San Quentin.

Still that's a long time to be locked up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The worst thing though is thinking about the fact that there are people serving those kinds of sentence who have not raped, robbed, or assaulted anyone.

Fuck the war on drugs, and fuck the war on gun rights.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What I took away from watching the HBO jail special (besides learning what a tossed salad was) is that for most of these guys prison becomes their life. They either do things while incarcerated to ensure they stay incarcerated or if they do get out they end up going right back in because jail is all they know.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have thought about this before. One way or another, I’m not going to prison.
View Quote
I'm a claustrophobic control freak, no way in hell I'm going to prison.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have thought about this before. One way or another, I'm not going to prison.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The worst thing though is thinking about the fact that there are people serving those kinds of sentence who have not raped, robbed, or assaulted anyone.

Fuck the war on drugs, and fuck the war on gun rights.
View Quote
No doubt there are some serving those kinds of sentences.

The guys I'm talking about are both murderers though, so fuck them. They deserve every minute.

Either way, I don't understand how people can take it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My best friend growing up was always a screw up. He would disappear for a week or so at a time on a drug binge. I always tried to help him, but it's so true that you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

He robbed his drug dealer and got 11 years. He served 9 before being paroled. He had some hard times in prison. I met up with him a time or 2 after he got out and holy shit he was different. Acted like and talked like a thug.

Last I heard, he was on the run
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine did a 2 year stretch for pissing off the IRS.

He was completely changed.  The time spent being told what to do, no mental stimulation, no creativity or initiative was devastating.  It's been over 20 years since he's been out and it's still effecting him.

After 30?  You're worthless.
View Quote
Yeah, I don't have any interest in knowing either guy again, and I'll probably be dead before the second guy ever gets out anyway. I'm sure they've both changed in ways that I don't want to imagine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Guy looks like he could make a good accountant and coffee delivery system, if he can curb his ambition.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#17]
post what they did? links to crimes???
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#18]
folks like to talk about 'from my cold dead fingers' and so forth.

truth is almost everyone will accept any kind of life over certain death.

so prison is a bad place to be, but most folks choose prison over death given the choices.

in college i met one guy who got hard time (not a long sentence but it was a bad prison) for selling 1 lsd tab to an undercover cop. it changed him for life. and i think prison time leaves an indelible mark on folks and you can pick up on it fairly easily. a sort of always looking over your shoulder, a certain nervousness and a level of hostility baked in in order to maintain in a prison setting.

i would not want to go to prison and would give up freedoms to avoid it and i suspect im in the majority of folks that would and the minority of folks who would admit to it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]
A buddy of mine just got out after doing 17 years federal. Got caught up in a DEA sting along with two other of his friends.
He just got out last week and walked into my bar.

I was thinking how difficult it must have been for him, one day he is in prison and the next day at the bar surrounded by hundreds of people.
Hopefully he is able to fly straight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#21]
my first double tap!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]

This guy did some of his best work after prison
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm way too pretty for prison.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
post what they did? links to crimes???
View Quote
First guy was back in the mid eighties. Not sure if there's any way to link to anything about that. As I remember it, he took his ex girlfriend out in the woods and murdered her with a shotgun.

Second guy, I'll try to find a link to. Shot and killed a guy during a robbery. Left his body laying there with his 2 toddlers for hours until his roomate came home hours later and found him.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Or how about the guys who are released after 30 years when DNA testing shows they were actually innocent.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Or how about the guys who are released after 30 years when DNA testing shows they were actually innocent.  
View Quote
That's actually the real reason I didn't mount a bayonet on my AR.

My DNA was on it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#27]
How many folks you think are here that can't legally own guns for one reason or another???
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How many folks you think are here that can't legally own guns for one reason or another???
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Well, Gulag is a special kind of hell.  He's qouted often here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Survival is instinct, not intellect.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Id honestly probably off myself if I was going to do decades in prison
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#33]
A few years ago there was a prison special and one old timer said "if they sentence you to ten years of more they should never let you out". His take was that prison forever changes you and not for the good.

No sympathy for most criminals but the guy has a point.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#34]
A family friend of ours [at the time] is on year 28 of a 20-to-life sentence. He killed a drug dealer with a gun. Evidenced recovered at the scene suggested it was a paid hit. He wouldn't play ball with the prosecutors and evidently they're not playing ball now at the parole hearings.

As usual he found religion in prison...
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I went to school with a guy that killed 2 people at a campground in his senior year (18 y/o) for their car.
He was found guilty in both murders and got death.  About 16 years later it was changed to life with no parole.
36 years later he's still in prison and hopefully die in prison.

One of my college classmate shot and killed his brother and almost killed his girlfriend (shot her 4 times with a 22 pistol) with a handgun during an argument over his bad drug habit.  He pled guilty to second degree murder and assault for his girlfriend and was sentenced to life and 15 years.  I heard from a friend that he was out after 17 years and was living with his mom.  HArd to believe they let him out after just 17 years.  He should have spent rest of his life in prison.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Honestly? Point them towards After Prison Show.

Dude turned his life around and is trying to help others do the same.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSonmKTLAPC2bTCF4JHQ1lg

Can't imbed but enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq5SxKdBags
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I was surprised to find a couple links to the first story. They're PDFs.

Link 1

Link 2
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did
Once
In a closet, in the dark. For just a minute
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
My ex-BIL did 5 years (involuntary manslaughter) in a Texas state pen.  He was so fucked up when he got out.  Nowhere close to the same person that went in.  Scary bad crazy.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#40]
My cousin has a son in prison for life. He shook his baby to death. He was always 1/2 whitted, slow, almost special needs. What is frustrating to his mother is that his wife (the mother of the baby) is most likely equally guilty.But she cooperated and pinned it all on him.

It really isn't frustrating to ME...one way or another, he allowed a baby to be killed. He should die in prison.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone ever wonder where all of those missing long time posters have gone?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Anything over 20 years should be automatic death penalty.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Watch "Shawshank Redemption" and you will understand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I won't give too many details because it's kind of personal.
Know a guy who is 43, looking at 15ish years. His kids will be in their 30s when he gets out. It's going to be some hard time.

WTF are you going to do when your 58 with a bad record and no employable skills even before you got locked up?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well, I was surprised to find a couple links to the first story. They're PDFs.
View Quote
Links not working
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm way too pretty for prison.
View Quote
We can change that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Links not working
View Quote
Fixed. Please delete the bad links from your post to avoid confusing the skimmers.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#48]
This is one of my best friends, went to HS together.   got out last October.

He's doing good,   I was damn happy to see him again.

http://www.kron4.com/news/in-depth-man-learns-how-to-code-in-san-quentin-prison-now-works-in-silicon-valley_20180306103141569/1012969812
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would say a lot of people probably think about that.

Which is exactly why when the rolling gun bans become law, people will gladly turn in their guns, and plenty of people will rat out other guns owners.

People are simply too comfortable to get off the couch, get away from Netflix, log off of ARFcom to fight for gun rights.
View Quote
That's awfully judgemental.

I came up before modern accoutrements and could give two fucks about them. I will not gladly turn over anything. Nor will I "rat" out other gun owners.

However, if I go to prison that's it. My mortgage is gone, my assets are gone, the safety and security I provide for my children is gone.

It's a life altering event. And a very heavy thing to weigh.

But my actions will in no way be motivated by my inability to remove myself from electronic entertainment.

Thats selling your fellow gun owners a little short don't you think? After all, boating accidents happen all the time. Tragic, tragic indeed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top