Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2022 10:02:16 PM EDT
I have one of the one-of-the-mill standing desks like the first picture below. I want to build some type of wood filing cabinet/drawers/shelves like the second picture.

Im curious about if I should have the steel feet of the standing desk resting on floor (with the body of the desk cabinets hiding them), or if I could get away with resting the feet on 3/4 plywood, which would then use 3"ish table feet.

The desk, without anything on it, weighs about 100lbs.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Each of the plywood boxes can easily hold 50 pounds if constructed properly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not so much "holding it" that I'm worried about; 3/4" plywood is very strong.... It's more a matter of if it will end up sagging somewhere....
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's not so much "holding it" that I'm worried about; 3/4" plywood is very strong.... It's more a matter of if it will end up sagging somewhere....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We pour 16"concrete decks on 5/8" MDO plywood with "joists" 16"  on center under the plywood. In theory , the plywood alone should hold a couple hundred pounds easily, unsupported.
If you dont want it to sag, build an internal frame of angle iron/c channel etc. to keep the top and base flat.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 2:18:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy some nice cabinet grade plywood it's more stable and will finish a lot nicer.
Link Posted: 12/11/2022 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

The plywood shouldn’t sag, it is plenty strong.

That’s where the design comes in. Most furniture has a wooden frame or dados/rabbets to add strength to the material. The parts fit tightly together and wood glue is used to keep the joints tight.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Run of the mill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top