Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 11:49:35 PM EDT
Looking to upgrade from my 2x42 to either x48 or x72 with optional contact wheel, small diameter roller, better platens/rests etc.  Same unit otherwise, though w/ the 48 I can only do 8" contact wheel, but w/ the 72 I could do 8 or 10".  Most of my knives are narrow dagger type so the 8" should be sufficient for hollow grinds per my reckoning.

I know the 72 is better in terms of lasting longer per belt and probably having more selection.  But the 2x48 will fit in my grinder station comfortably, The 72 not so much. I have never felt like I have had an insufficient removal rate with my 3/4 horse 2x42 grinder.   If I got the 72, it would barely fit and I would not be able to move it into different position easily for different operations (different heights/angles etc).  And motor mounting options would be harder two w/o rebuilding the station.

How much better is 72" belts in terms of cost & grit/material options than 48" is the question.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I know 2x72 is pretty much the standard.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Bigger is better.  More options, more versatile, and longer belt life, too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I will be shopping for a 2x72 myself next year. Just finished my anvil, and have my coal forge 1/2 finished.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Comparing apples to apples, a 2x48 Trizact A300 337DC belt is $6.25.  A 2x72 Trizact A300 337DC is $8.75.

48 is 66% the abrasive of 72.
48 is 71% the cost of 72.

This will likely vary depending on the type of belt and where you buy them.  The real loss is in available selection between 48 and 72, as well as reduced ability for grinding attachments (You're never going to likely get a 14" contact wheel on a 48 for example.)
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuckit, going w the 72.  Ill make it fit i have to
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got my 2x48 up and running.  I'm already plotting a way to make it a 2x72 so I can make tool arms for contact wheels and a better platten.  I'll probably build a new platten and work rest and use it as-is for a bit, but it'll get changed at some point.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Was going to get a coote, great unit and deal...but it is not a as flexible in terms of different size contact wheels.  To be fair, you can order a 10” wheel model and he can make it to also accept the 8”. But it is still no where as veritile and quick change as a KMG type design that uses quick change tool arms.

I am either going to rig up a tool arm holder to the iron casting of my current 3 wheel 2x42 take a 10” contact wheel on a tool arm (which I could use later on a better grinder) or I will make a plywood frame KMG stule like this:
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I made this one for a few hundred dollars.  It really wasn't that difficult if you have some basic fab skills and a welder.

I've since added a 10" contact wheel and small wheel attachments.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice build man!

Ive got 0 welding/fabbing skills.  Ill do one like in the first pic but probably do one of the side pieces from steel plate rather than plywood, maybe both, and probably order 1x1.5” HDPE planks to form the tool arm slots so I dont have to worry abput things not being flat/straight.

I like the one where he has the motor between the feet under the tool arm slots, makes it less long front to back.  If I do this and use shorter tool arms and make the idler wheel higher up i should be able to get a 72” belt to fit in my grinder station.

Where did you get the 10” wheel?  Does it run pretty smooth?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top