Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2021 2:43:41 AM EDT
39 month lease 30k miles total , .15 for each mile over, must turn in with tires over half tread.

What Am I missing here ? seems like a no brainer for the self employed with a personal car.

Fo or no Fo

Im self employed and can deduct the expense

https://www.waldorftoyota.com/offerdetails-New-Waldorf-Maryland-New-2021-Tacoma--SR-4x4-Double-Cab-444130

New 2021 Tacoma SR 4x4 Double Cab
Lease For $156 Per Month

Offer Expires 2/1/2021

STK #N29787. TFS low mileage lease 39-month lease available with $2,995 due at signing. Includes $500 Lease Subvention Cash provided by Toyota. Includes $650 acquisition fee and first months payment. With approved tier 1+ credit through TFS. 10,000 miles per year. Residual value $28,086. Customer will pay .15¢ a mile in addition to excess miles. Lessee may be responsible for wear and tear at lease end. $0 security deposit. All offers plus tax, title, registration and $499 processing charge. Offer expires 02/01/21.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
3k down, Residual value is $28,086
They are 31k new.

Over 3 years you are paying 8725.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are 31k new.

View Quote

Yes, But if you want a low payment, and have no intention of keeping it, it seems cheap to me.

I get to use pre tax dollars instead of post tax dollars, as im self employed and also get 58c per mile

Vehicles are not an investment, and this isnt my only vehicle, this will be for buisness use.

3k and 156 a month and always drive brand new vehicles every 3, I think this is amazing
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:53:04 AM EDT
[#4]
10,000 miles per year.  Back in the day when I was screwing people over on leases, we never did one for less than 12,000 miles a year, and encouraged people to do 15,000.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, But if you want a low payment, and have no intention of keeping it, it seems cheap to me.

I get to use pre tax dollars instead of post tax dollars, as im self employed and also get 58c per mile

Vehicles are not an investment, and this isnt my only vehicle, this will be for buisness use.

3k and 156 a month and always drive brand new vehicles every 3, I think this is amazing
View Quote

Do it then, just keep an eye on miles. You can pay for it your self at 58 cents a mile. That is over 15k for 3 years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, But if you want a low payment, and have no intention of keeping it
View Quote

Why would you have no intention of keeping it?

The whole point of owing a Toyota pickup is that "legendary Toyota long-term-reliability" - You drive it until the wheels literally fall off.

If you're going to be dumping it after just a couple years of ownership, what's the point?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Paying $9k likely more than 10k with all the fees at purchase and turn in for a 39 month lease on a base model Tacoma isn't a screaming deal. Last year this time of year you could lease a TRD Offroad with all the fixings with no downpayment and only $225 a month lease and even that was questionable.

But hey if you just want to say you have a low payment why not? It's only money and it's soon to be worthless.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#8]
When did they add the tread depth as something on a lease?  I've leased a few vehicles many years ago, two of them being 4x4's, and never heard of that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:16:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My current truck ( 14 Ram Diesel crew 4x4) $490 a month , and trading it in,  Im upside down 1000 dollars after 14 months.  $1000+payments = $7860 spent in 14 months.......owning is too expensive.

I get tired of vehicles easily. (over 100k gross income before deductions)

id rather drive new for 3 years and turn it in.  using pre tax dollars.

Also I want to dump my $490 payment for a $156 payment because im about to buy a home and it lowers My DTI.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fortunately, there's a car deal for every mental disorder.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When did they add the tread depth as something on a lease?  I've leased a few vehicles many years ago, two of them being 4x4's, and never heard of that.
View Quote

fine print says 4/32nds remaining at turn in
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:40:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hi, welcome to 2005
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:48:42 AM EDT
[#13]
What's the buyout on it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:49:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My current truck ( 14 Ram Diesel crew 4x4) $490 a month , and trading it in,  Im upside down 1000 dollars after 14 months.  $1000+payments = $7860 spent in 14 months.......owning is too expensive.

Also I want to dump my $490 payment for a $156 payment because im about to buy a home and it lowers My DTI.

View Quote

I think you are just doing funny math at this point to justify the decision you've already made, and I'd also like to point out that getting out of leases once you get tired of a base model Tacoma in three months is going to be a much more expensive lesson than being $1k upside down on your current truck.

That being said, if you are going to go down this path no matter what it at least pays to shop around. https://forum.leasehackr.com/c/reviews/11 Browse around there, many dealerships there will offer better pricing than the spot-a-sucker advertising from your original post. Most will even ship to your door for relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:53:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow

Bought a 94 Toyota 4x4 new and drove it to 2018, now drive a Tahoe I paid $9k for in 2009.

Some people like sinking money In depreciating assets.

If it makes you happy I say do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#16]
While it's a cheap monthly payment and great if you need a truck for business use...

a) If you NEED a truck, you probably need more than a Taco.  It's only like 1150/6400 pounds payload & towing (even a Ford Ranger is like 1700/7500).  But I'd say most common "work" trucks are 150s/1500s and larger.

b) 770 miles/month sucks.  I mean, it's not even mediocre for a lease... that sucks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
While it's a cheap monthly payment and great if you need a truck for business use...

a) If you NEED a truck, you probably need more than a TACO.  It's only like 1150/6400 pounds payload & towing with a 640LB tongue load.

b) 770 miles/mo sucks.  I mean, it's not even mediocre for a lease... that sucks.
View Quote

Have a duramax 2500 for heavy trailers and real work. want to keep miles off it.

I need a truck for property management / landlord/ real estate sales that is good on gas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's the buyout on it?
View Quote

28k...the reason Id never buy it out, just turn it in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Paying $9k likely more than 10k with all the fees at purchase and turn in for a 39 month lease on a base model Tacoma isn't a screaming deal. Last year this time of year you could lease a TRD Offroad with all the fixings with no downpayment and only $225 a month lease and even that was questionable.

But hey if you just want to say you have a low payment why not? It's only money and it's soon to be worthless.
View Quote

Doubt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:17:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think you are just doing funny math at this point to justify the decision you've already made, and I'd also like to point out that getting out of leases once you get tired of a base model Tacoma in three months is going to be a much more expensive lesson than being $1k upside down on your current truck.

That being said, if you are going to go down this path no matter what it at least pays to shop around. https://forum.leasehackr.com/c/reviews/11 Browse around there, many dealerships there will offer better pricing than the spot-a-sucker advertising from your original post. Most will even ship to your door for relatively cheap.
View Quote

Whats funny math ?  Last I computed the numbers im saving money, and paying for it pretax

there is no "funny math"  just real data
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Whats funny math ?  Last I computed the numbers im saving money, and paying for it pretax

there is no "funny math"  just real data
View Quote

You're paying more than you have to to drive that truck for three years, because it isn't going to depreciate that much.

The resale on Toyota trucks is nuts, better off buying them new. Last thing I'd choose a lease on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Being self employed doesn't mean you can legally write off a leased car. You can't use it to commute from your house to work or for other personal use.
View Quote

Found the loophole
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Thinking about buying 2021 Tacoma Pro....almost 48K.  Am I doing it wrong?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I can’t imagine ever not going somewhere because I don’t want to go over my 10K miles that year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#26]
That thing is not good on gas
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This looking at 14-17 mpg combined.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Being self employed doesn't mean you can legally write off a leased car. You can't use it to commute from your house to work or for other personal use.
View Quote

Oh brother

The government has its hand in every pocket we own, they're screwing us in every orifice of our body, they give billions upon billions away to countries that want us destroyed and you're worried that the King's men are going to get "cheated" out of some chump change.

Some people were just born to live under a boot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

My coworker has one same setup except ext cab. He gets 20-21mpg mix and longer trips hit 23-24. He drives like a geezer but that’s pretty damn good in my book.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wow

Bought a 94 Toyota 4x4 new and drove it to 2018, now drive a Tahoe I paid $9k for in 2009.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow

I'm still driving a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins that my personal company owns.  I've been considering something else, but I can't bring myself to spend the money and take on a payment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#31]
My son looked into a similar deal.  In the finance room they add on all kind of stuff.  Gap insurance was like 100 a month!  They tell you toyotas hold their value then show you a graph showing that your upside down the entire lease. 7K the first year and just under 4k when you turn it in.  We walked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
10k miles a year?  Nope.  I dont know anyone who does that.
View Quote

I do, if you work from home its easy to drive less 10k miles a year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#34]
It does not make financial sense. If you just like driving new vehicles and understand that the difference you are paying is the penalty cost to always have a newer vehicle you can rationalize it that way. Just don't pretend that you are getting a good deal, are saving any money over buying, or are making a good financial decision. If you want to spend your fun money renting a truck instead of eating out or buying guns you do you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I leased a 2017 Tacoma for three years. I wanted to really see if I liked it without buying it. So, yeah, I threw away that money but it did accomplish what I wanted.  At the end of the lease I traded it in on a F150. The truck was ok, but just ok. Not enough interior room and not all that nice inside and the auto trans sucks balls. In Va be prepared for your payment to include the property tax come tax time. Toyota pays it and adds it to that months payment. For the ‘17, in Fluvanna County, that was over $400 increase in the payment twice a year. When I traded it I basically came out even on the money, I was just barely over on the 36K miles allowed. The F150 is a much better truck in every way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do it then, just keep an eye on miles. You can pay for it your self at 58 cents a mile. That is over 15k for 3 years.
View Quote

Since he's the paying the 58 cents a mile that 15k is just a tax deduction, not an actual $15,000 free dollars
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Some people will always be able to fuzzy math their way into getting the shiny object they want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Tanstafl

We won't lease again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Why not buy a new 2500/3500 or vehicle over 6k lbs and write the whole thing off in the first year?

Sell your old 2500 for cash. Only pay one insurance/registration.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Why would the IRS give the 58 cents a mile when gas and any repairs would be pretax?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Just my $.02 - I've always been of the opinion it's probably better to buy intrinsically high-resale mid-range/economy cars/trucks, while leasing high-depreciation luxury cars.

That said, of course Tacoma's are one of, if not the highest-resale vehicles you can get. So it doesn't seem to be a good play to lease, even if you do get tired of it in a few years and want to unload it.

You could buy that same new SR for ~$32.5k after TTL with a less than 3% APR (if you've got decent credit), drive it without silly mileage limits or tire-wear restrictions, and offload it in 3 years for ~$26-27k.

Of course, if your goal is low, low payments and not the overall financial sense of the transaction, nevermind.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Since when did TFC start charging charging over a grand in acquisition and processing fees?

That might be the norm these days, but it's still sketchy as hell and reminds me of a Chase Financial lease agreement from the bad old days.

If you are considering this deal, then you need to get the wear and tear policy in writing from the dealer. Most dealership personnel will only tell you what you want to hear.

Candidly, it sounds like you've already taken emotional ownership of both the truck and the deal. Just be careful

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#43]
TL;DR: Don't lease cars with high residuals.

The monthly payments you posted are without taxes, so your payment is more like $250+

Thats almost $10k in payments, plus the $3k you put down, so you're paying $13k.

Additionally, (at least in NJ) you'll be paying for extra insurance required for a lease.

Buying it at the end of lease will be a huge loss for you, so that's really out of the question. The dealer will turn around and sell it for $29k and make probably at least $10k off you.

Then they'll get you into another lease for a "deal" and get more money from you, all while you have nothing except permission to drive one of their cars.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Doesn't sound terrible, but have you driven one?    Pretty cramped for anyone over 5’8.    Make sure you like the reality and not just the fantasy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get 14.7mpg on '19 F150 Supercrew FX4 4x4 V8 5.0, in Sport mode with a heavy foot.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#46]
I leased one for daughter.  Needed a low fixed monthly payment, good "commuter truck and weekend use" . Toyota traditionally structured leases to a have substantial equity at the end of the lease sometimes 4k or more, payments around $400-450 a month. Now that Ford and Chevy have reentered the mid-size market Toyota is now playing the pricing game, no more equity at the end of the lease but low monthly payments. The V6 SR is a really basic truck. AC, power windows, radio cloth seats.

If you are towing a camper get something else, a small landscaping trailer fine.

The V6 is strong enough, but power only builds over 4k rpm. Transmission is always changing gears.

Great truck for a lease.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are 31k new.

Do you have an accountant because it sounds like you are leasing it through the company and also taking the federal mileage rate which I think is double dipping.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#48]
It's probably not a bad deal for certain special circumstances. But for the average truck owner, it's likely not a good deal. With only a 10k/year mileage allowance, that's really low for most commuters. I don't have a major commute and don't drive all that much. I'm at around 15k miles a year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're forgetting taxes, plates, dealer doc fee, etc.  You won't be paying $156/mo.  Generally figure about $30 for every $1000
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll take "Things that never happened" for $500, Alex
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top