Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2017 7:47:33 AM EDT
Looking at my list of rankings by year, 2017 had only three films of note (and two of them weren't even that good, but just had enough positive acting/directing/aesthetic aspects that made me want to revisit them later). This doesn't include re-releases (Terminator 2, Blade Runner 82) or things like Rifftrax Live broadcasts, every one of which I enjoyed far more than the 2017-released films.

Going through my entire list of rankings, 1980 is the last year with less than three good films that I have seen. But that's not for lack of interesting titles. Looking at my to-watch list, there are enough interesting titles from that year to safely say that it would likely be comparable with the rest of the decade in terms of good ones.

Also notable about 2017 is that I found that no less than nine of my most anticipated and promising titles were major disappointments.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully it's only the beginning.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Hollywood is feeling the wrath of alienating half the voters of the country.
Financing new movies, big budget movies with the deplorables not attending is too risky.
You reap what you sow.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You must be on crack. There were a lot of good movies this year.

And, the best movie of the year:

Other possible good titles include:
The Foreigner  (Jackie Chan)
Dunkirk
Wonder Woman was also surprisingly good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Spiderman Homecoming was very good.

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Only the Brave is what I decided was my favorite/the best movie of 2017.

There were some good ones.  Dunkirk was good, even if it wasn't as good as I hoped.  Thor Ragnarok was great.  I like Jumanji, for what it was.  I also enjoyed Logan.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree 100%
It was the worst year I ever remember for movies. I use to hit the theatres 6+ times per year
Dunkirk was the only movie I was highly excited about,
I think I only saw two movies in the theater this year.
Wind River and American Assassin were great movies but not appealing enough to get me to pay to see it in the theater, I just rented them OnDemand at home.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
There were a few unexpected gems that surprised me how good they were:  Baby Driver, Get Out, It, Wind River.

But.. I think you are right in that a bunch of movies that I thought would turn out good were anything but that:

Ghost in the Shell
King Arthur
The Mummy
Alien Convenant
The Dark Tower
Justice League
Trainspotting T2
Atomic Blonde
John Wick 2
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
It - no interest for me.
Logan - unimpressed.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - didn't like the first, didn't bother.
Don't recognize it - if the Rock was in it, chances are it sucked.
Thor - didn't like the first, didn't bother with the rest.
American Assassin - just didn't look good.
Wind River - I saw this one, and did appreciate some parts, but found it forgettable.
The Foreigner - complete waste of Chan's talents. Forgettable.
Dunkirk - too ambitious for Nolan.
Wonder Woman - no interest.
Spider-Man reboot - I liked Sam Raimi's trilogy, so the mere idea of this one was highly unappealing to me.

Only the Brave was one I wanted to see but missed. I'll give it a chance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Only the Brave is fantastic.  My favorite movie this year.  Give it a chance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It - no interest for me.
Logan - unimpressed.
Wind River - I saw this one, and did appreciate some parts, but found it forgettable.
Spider-Man reboot - I liked Sam Raimi's trilogy, so the mere idea of this one was highly unappealing to me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It - no interest for me.
Logan - unimpressed.

Holy ennui dude. There are some GREAT flicks in that list.

I just saw WW and Logan the weekend before last. WW was fun (and Gal Gadot... Just Gal Gadot) and logan was amazing. They finally got a Logan movie 100% right.

GoTG2 was excellent.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It - no interest for me.
Logan - unimpressed.

View Quote
Yeah, this isn't a 2017 thing, this is a "you" thing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 1:12:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just saw WW and Logan the weekend before last. WW was fun (and Gal Gadot... Just Gal Gadot) and logan was amazing. They finally got a Logan movie 100% right.

GoTG2 was excellent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It - no interest for me.
Logan - unimpressed.

GoTG2 was excellent.
It's almost all McMovies these days.  They are "great movies" in the same sense that a Big Mac and Fries are satisfying in the moment and that's about it.  They are have literally done nothing but take old 20th century IPs and line up movie after movie after movie based on the same characters and settings that people are familiar with built around the same formula and people line up around the block for it.  It's about as "safe" as film as an art form can possibly get.  I hate to be a fucking hipster about it but damn give me something I haven't seen before.  It is saying something when you can reboot Spiderman TWICE within 10 years of the "sorta" original trilogy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's almost all McMovies these days.  They are "great movies" in the same sense that a Big Mac and Fries are satisfying in the moment and that's about it.  They are have literally done nothing but take old 20th century IPs and line up movie after movie after movie based on the same characters and settings that people are familiar with built around the same formula and people line up around the block for it.  It's about as "safe" as film as an art form can possibly get.  I hate to be a fucking hipster about it but damn give me something I haven't seen before.  It is saying something when you can reboot Spiderman TWICE within 10 years of the "sorta" original trilogy.
View Quote
There's nothing truly original and hasn't been for a while.  Like thousands of years.  I don't give a shit about supposed "originality," I just want a well-made movie.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 1:16:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, this isn't a 2017 thing, this is a "you" thing.
View Quote
yeah. WW was great, so was the thor series.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuckin loved IT.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Any gun dude would have liked Wind River. It delivered. Well-acted. Well-written, and the characters were not over the top heroes, just everyday joes/janes doing their jobs.

Wonder Woman WAS better than I expected, and I just like John Wick 2 because I know Keanu is a three gun guy, and I like the bullshit story.

Dunkirk, IMHO, was far too "clean". Guys sitting there after being in war, looking as if their uniforms just came out of the dry cleaners..and the non-linear aspect, while cool in films like Pulp Fiction, served to confuse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top