Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2022 5:59:47 PM EDT
Went out yesterday and noticed the rear suspension was bottomed out and didn’t lift up at start up like always.This is on both rear sides.Now I’ve always heard an air compressor come on at startup and run for 30 seconds as the rear starts to lift up.

I jack it up and pull both tires and am surprised to find I have the electro magnetic shocks.I figured with an air compressor I would have air shocks.Pull the lines off the compressor,start the car and it comes on and is pumping air but it’s certainly not a massive amount-you can’t hear it but you can feel it slightly if you put your finger over the outlets.Electric magnetic shocks don’t move.

I have a hard time believing both magnetic shocks failed at the same time,connections appear fine.What do I have an air compressor for if I have magnetic shocks?I’m an industrial HVAC mechanic so I’m mechanically inclined but this is getting outside my area of expertise.Thank you in advance for any helpful tips.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Both systems (air assist and magnetic) can coexist in the same setup.

If the rear is dropping overnight your shocks or other components have failed. Find out what’s leaking and replace.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Its possible the shocks are both electric and air. Cadillac uses very impressive shocks and have around 5 different types they use on there current platforms. You will know if they have air, as there is a rubber tube thing on top and it will look funny being compressed. There is also a very small black tube that runs to the top of the metal part of the shock, the air tube.

I just replaced some air shocks in a DTS which was ultra easy. In the process of learning how on youtube I ran across an issue electric shocks can have. Its some sort of line voltage issue, however if this happens it will through a code.

I know nothing of the XTS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top