Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2022 11:23:04 PM EDT
Our miniature dachshund, Elmo, passed away this May and our 7 year old daughter is still devastated.   We want to get another dog but are waiting until closer to the end of this school year to have the summer for training.

We would love to get a fish tank to put in her room but everything on Amazon or Petsmart get mixed reviews.  I'm not really wanting a kit as that way I can select everything so it'll be quality.

What is a goto site or brand to look for?  My daughter and I are interested in Guppies, so freshwater, if that matters.

Thanks Arfcom!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Used tanks are often super cheap or free, especially if you’re not too picky about the exact size.  

Otherwise, sometimes Petco has tank sales.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]
They're all pretty much the same unless you're going for a curved front or some unusual shape.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:24:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ef4life] [#3]
Ultum nature systems (uns) makes very nice small glass tanks. Rimless, high clarity, mitered corners.

https://ultumnaturesystems.com/rimless-glass-tanks/

Some pics of mine

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Innnovative marine nuvo fusion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Coralife bio cube..
I’ve hade a saltwater for many years in one. I think mine is 29g,built in filter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have found PetSmart is the most expensive place to buy an aquarium.  If you have a Petco around watch their sales, they have great deals on thier glass rimmed aqueon aquariums a couple times a year.  I have had very good luck with the aqueon aquariums.

Acrylic and rimless tanks look very nice and are easier to keep clean but are very expensive.  Acrylic scratches easier than glass.

Fluval seems to be a decent brand for filters and lights.  Fluval heaters seem to be better than the store brands but all aquariums heaters will fail in time.

Hickari makes decent dry food.  The store brands of food work for some people but seem to really suck for me.

Sad to hear about Elmo.  We have two mini weiner dogs that are getting some age on them.  It is going to be rough around here when they go.  Best dogs ever.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy tank and stand at Petco on sale. Buy everything else online.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm late to this party. A 20 gallon long tank from Petco would be relatively inexpensive. Wait for the dollar a gallon sale. Get the glass lid, a Whisper 20 air pump, and a mattenfilter kit from Swiss Tropicals. Tank would be pretty bulletproof.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Too bad you're so far away.  Otherwise I could give you about a dozen tanks.  At one point I had 16 tanks going, varying in sizes from 10 to 55.  It ended up being too much work no matter what I tried, worse was when fish die.  I had fish live for 7-10 years so I managed to become attached.  I wish you luck, kids really get a lot of enjoyment from fish.  My daughter has had them from her toddler years and is now 35.  Still loves them.  Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with all the fish I still have.  My Cories are producing too many babies and my 55 gallon is over crowded, probably have 40 from the original 6.  My 40 gallon is being overrun with mosquito fish, I thought the giant gold fish would take care of that but there are at least 200 of the little fish now.  They reproduce faster than the Corydorras.  My local Petco has offered to take my fish off my hand but I can't bring myself to doing that yet.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Petsmart tank sale, $1 a gallon for glass tanks (used to be that price anyways).

20 Gallon is a good starter place.  Go big on everything; a cheap heater will kill your tank.  Buy once cry once.

Stick to glass tanks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Ours is an Auquenon (sp?) with a center mounted light and it has been solid.  Do not cheap out on the filter and don't rely on your daughter to do anything including feeding, water changes or other maintenance.  They are responsible for enjoyment only, ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Just throwing this out there. In my experience 90% of the neon/black light type of tanks that are supposed to make fish glow….suck. I would avoid those. If you want to make neon tetras glow, you might consider buying a separate/special light for that. Im no expert, so do your own research but my tank ended up not looking or working very well. I ended up buying aftermarket filter/lights and pretty much everything else lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Any of the 'glow' stuff is artificial garbage.  You want to create a NATURAL habit if you want success.  

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top