User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Uppers were easily obtained. Threaded barrels and flash hiders were apparently the problem. Brakes had to be pinned.

Mags were a pain. They never got the whole reloading part - 3 10s=2 15s.

There’s a new one coming, we’ll have to stick together this time and not compromise. Fortunately, we have some precedent  on our side.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It wasn't that bad*. The worst part was the obscenely high price of some pistol mags, mainly those for the popular guns released a few years before the ban (most Glocks, SIG P228/9, HK USP, Para-Ordnance double-stack 1911s). I think the mags for Beretta 92, Browning HP, S&W 59 and other hi-cap pistols that had been around for a decade or more were still somewhat reasonably priced.

AK, FAL, and G3 mags were inexpensive and ammo was very inexpensive. AR-15 mags were only rose to ~$30 after the ban because there were so many of them in circulation. Factory Mini-14 mags were expensive, but there were a couple of aftermarket brands that were just as good.

There were a few positive consequences: the further refinement of subcompact pistols and the huge growth of interest in military-style rifles among people who previously weren't interested in them.

I would much rather get into guns in 1997 than 2017.

* But only with the knowledge that it would end in 2004.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone remember the Wilson comps and the Calvary Arms cav comp. looked just like a A2 flashhider with a closed front. Came ready to pin.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This ban will close any "loopholes" that still allow you to have anything effective against tyranny.
View Quote

A lot of stuff, they can't realistically prevent people from making now, even if any bill they come up with is more comprehensive.

Every bill they've tried to pass since 2004 has banned virtually every part for every mag-fed semi auto rifle.  Not just for sale, but for possession; they don't want people having spare parts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Condor 10/22 25rd magazines.

The four that are numbered I paid $65 each for in 2000 or 2001. I can't remember how many lawns I mowed and choirs I did to pay for them. Everybody thought the AWB was going to be renewed and last forever. And mags were just going to get more expensive as time goes by.
The one not numbered was included with the 10/22 my dad gave me for Christmas  in 1994.

They all still work.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol.  I almost forgot how insane 10/22 mag prices were.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The last one was easy to ignore. Not so certain about the next one.

Don't let the "next one" happen.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
OP's screen name...lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The next ban will be nothing like the 94 ban.
View Quote

This, and people will find ways around the wording of the law like they always have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Assuming folks comply.  I think there will be plenty that won't turn anything in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Call me optimistic, but I don't think the Democrats have the 60 votes needed to pass anything as polarizing as another AWB.
View Quote

That depends entirely on who is counting.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#15]

With Xiden this is the future

When Harris takes over.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone put up Winston Wolf's famous end of AWB party pic!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All you need to know is it saved the children.... all of them
View Quote

Random thoughts, Didn’t Columbine happen several years after the AWB?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#18]
It was ineffectual in every way.

IF there is another gun ban, they will plug the loopholes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#19]
If another ban passes, may what’s left of the Republican Party add a 10-minute sunset clause right at the end.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone remember the Wilson comps and the Calvary Arms cav comp. looked just like a A2 flashhider with a closed front. Came ready to pin.
View Quote

Yep, had one installed on my patrol rifle back in the day worked great. Mags prices were retarded back then, ran a lot of crusty USGI  AR mags with the black followers and thermolds. I even have a few israeli orilight mags somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yep, had one installed on my patrol rifle back in the day worked great. Mags prices were retarded back then, ran a lot of crusty USGI  AR mags with the black followers and thermolds. I even have a few israeli orilight mags somewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also remember USA mags.  The mag that looked like a magazine, but didn’t act like one.  HATED those.  They were cheaper than most other preban and tempting, but total crap.  

Speaking of comps, I still have a couple of Colt’s comps that were fixed to the muzzle with two pins on each side of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:54:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I also remember USA mags.  The mag that looked like a magazine, but didn’t act like one.  HATED those.  They were cheaper than most other preban and tempting, but total crap.  

Speaking of comps, I still have a couple of Colt’s comps that were fixed to the muzzle with two pins on each side of the muzzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, those USA branded mags are way worse than even pro mags
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

10 rounds or less right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NY successfully removed all standard cap mags from the state!  Hooray!  Yippee!  

10 rounds or less right?
Yep, stunted mags.  "standard" is 20, 30, etc...  But, there was a court case that a guy got dropped because the cops aren't allowed to count the rounds in your mag if it wasn't used in a crime.  So, if you're just carrying a standard, say 15 round mag, but not doing anything else wrong, they can't inspect the mag to see if it's stunted or not.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Don't forget about the shoulder things that go up.
View Quote

^ Excellent reference! I remember that statement very well. LoL
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just remember this, Bush said that if it hit his desk, he would sign a renewal!

For all of you crying about who's in the white house, remember this, it doesn't matter!!! All politicians could care less about the 2A and would give it up if it meant another term for them!
View Quote

^ THIS!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:01:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember paying $90 each for used 15 round Beretta mags because the springs on the damn AWB compliant mags were so tight that it jammed like Los Angeles traffic if you loaded all 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Things that warm my heart:

1. The ingenuity of many American gun owners.

2. How so many of them ignored the first ban.

I dread the thought of another ban, but we must persevere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:02:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Registration is the biggest thing to be resisted IMO
View Quote

Certainly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It had a sunset clause after 10 years. In a nutshell, it expired.

But don't you worry, there will be another AWB during Unpresident Joseph Robinovich Xiden's first term as Unpresident, except this time ... it will be permanent!!!
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had one of those Wilson Comps.

I bought this Colt Competition Match HBAR in 1999. It was my first AR and I put a Wilson Combat compensator on it.

After the sunset, I had the barrel government-profiled and had a A2 flash hider and bayonet-lugged FSB added.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#31]
No one knows what will be in the next ban, if we get one.

The language of the proposed ones is intentionally harsh as a negotiation tactic to compromise from.  3D printing is the big problem for the other side right now.

Keep in mind that the big republican proponent of bother the 94 AWB and renewing it was Mike Dewine.  I can't wait for that asshole to be out of OH politics.  I'd probably vote for Pol Pot over him.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@Ninering51 That is blatantly not true, there was a decrease, but it had NOTHING to do with the ban, and continued afterwards.  Some of that was definitely crack epidemic declining.  Some of it is arguably from legalized abortion, since that's right about when it would have impacted.  

The argument to use is that the ban was useless because it didn't show any "rebound" effect when removed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg/800px-Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was NO DECREASE in gun deaths during the ban.
@Ninering51 That is blatantly not true, there was a decrease, but it had NOTHING to do with the ban, and continued afterwards.  Some of that was definitely crack epidemic declining.  Some of it is arguably from legalized abortion, since that's right about when it would have impacted.  

The argument to use is that the ban was useless because it didn't show any "rebound" effect when removed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg/800px-Ushomicidesbyweapon.svg.png

You are correct. I should have said no decrease attributable to the ban. But it did cut down on all the drive-by bayonettings that  plagued our inner cities at the time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If another ban passes, may what’s left of the Republican Party add a 10-minute sunset clause right at the end.
View Quote

Yep,because if there's one thing we can count on from the Republicans,it's their drive to protect the 2nd,and constantly work to expand our 2nd Amendment rights.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

that is one of the big things they pushed for post-sandy hook, to go along with universal background checks. thsi was december 2012, january 2013, no coincidence it was right after an election so they didnt give  a shit about elections.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Registration is the biggest thing to be resisted IMO

that is one of the big things they pushed for post-sandy hook, to go along with universal background checks. thsi was december 2012, january 2013, no coincidence it was right after an election so they didnt give  a shit about elections.  

and it went nowhere.....
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Those nasty flash hiders, (pistol) grips, bayonet lugs, extendable stocks - they saved a ton of lives back then.  
View Quote

Must be so because Schumer says that we wouldn't have experience the covid virus if we still had the ban.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Delete.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep,because if there's one thing we can count on from the Republicans,it's their drive to protect the 2nd,and constantly work to expand our 2nd Amendment rights.
View Quote

Sadly, you are right.  Every once in a while, something is done to protect the 2A, but it is not something we can count on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:00:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The plus side-

Ammo and AK's were VERY cheap, and you could find plenty of pre-ban AK 30 round mags.

LOTS of good surplus Mosin Nagants, SKS, and commie handguns cheap.

The bad-

Mags for most guns was ridiculous.

The following ads sum up the times-

https://i.imgur.com/I5uOFlg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CNJ7ghV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2d6jv06.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ALVJGS5.jpg
View Quote

Most people who look at that wont think that is that bad a deal on most of that stuff. However Gold was 385 bucks an ounce. If you divide that buy the current price of gold it works out to be 4.854. So if you multiply that buy those prices in the ad you get an idea of just how expensive all those cool magazines, ammo , and rifles were. I grew up poor around that time. Whoppers were 99 cents and man was it a treat when i got one. Goes to show you just how much value our money has dropped since then. But its been that way for a long time. My dad told me bout gas when he started driving being around 30 cents a gallon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Someone put up Winston Wolf's famous end of AWB party pic!
View Quote

I must've missed that one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Ours never sun-setted thanks to Mitt.

These are all ban era and for now MA complaint. I didn't read all the replies but the long and short was no flash hiders but muzzle breaks were okay, including the dreaded mini-y comp and no bayonet lug. Mags were fine if made prior to 1994 of which were plentiful then. The best deal were the FN-Fal 20 rounders that my BAR-10 uses. New in packaging went for $5.00. They are all Bushmasters from the time. Mostly oddballs Like a dedicated .22 upper with a 1:16 rifling when everyone else used cieniers. A Bar-10 in 308 which is the LAR8's granddad using metric or inch pattern FAL mags and a factory dessert camo XM-15.

Attachment Attached File

Here's a lower right shot with the mini-y and a few of the 30, 20 and 5 round mags. I keep some loaded mags and/or ammunition with firearms that are stored. I have 10 rounders for range use as why burn my standard ones out as they are getting harder to find and more expensive and the 5 rounders are meant for places with a 5 round limit on hunting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I hate that terminology, anyway I have been a gun guy my whole life but only fudd guns until 2005.  I was too busy with life and raising a family to have paid any attn.  Tell me about the 94' ban,  were uppers available, parts, was it a manufacturing date ban or sell date shit out of luck with leftover inventory or what? Please fill me in.
View Quote

It sucked.

Prior to the ban in 1990 or so I had a little but of money and should have bought a couple AR's, Im really not sure why I didn't. It's possible there weren't any to be had in my area at the time.  I did buy a PolyTech NM AK.  

After that I started college and didn't have any money for guns until 1996 or so when I was able to pick up a post ban COLT HBAR.  Pre-ban uppers were available and I also picked up an upper in a pre-ban configuration but was too paranoid to mate the two and take them to the range.

Finding any mags over ten rounds sucked, when you did they were stupid expensive.

I remember having a friend who was big into AR's and FALs, and sitting at him at gun show in Missoula.  Someone walked by with something, may have been an FAL and my buddy pulled out this huge bar of silver to offer in trade. I didn't see that one coming.

Crazy times.

If/when the next one comes, it will be way different.  Either turn them all in or you can keep them but have to register them.

I'm getting older, and if that happens will have to make a decision as to what to do with my excess firearms.  I couldn't/wouldnt want to be stuck with a lot of stuff I cannot get rid of easily.  Chances are ill sell off a large chunk of what I own and keep one or two.

Fuck Biden...and Fuck anyone who voted for that guy.

In 2006 when the AWB ended I went on a rifle buying craze and whenever I had an extra thousand or two to spend would pick up a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I wouldn't worry about this. They have learned from their "mistakes" and will make it permanent, all parts, registration/confiscation, etc. It's a waste of time to worry about the old one or the new one.

If you want to know what to buy now... Buy it all. Mags have not quadrupled in price yet, they are still very affordable. But they will. Most people worry about lowers, but this is a holdover from the last one, and also outdated by the invention of the 3d printer. Buy what you need, but I personally don't see a reason to fill your garage with lowers. Get parts kits, barrels, etc. Those are harder to print.
View Quote

Good advise, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Many lives were saved by its enactment.
View Quote

Thats what Bill said.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
mags over ten rounds had to be manufactured before the date of the ban, so did a rifle if you wanted a collsible stock or flash suppressor. Post ban Ars with fixed stocks and no muzzle device were common. Pre ban magazines were mostly cheap for stuff like ARs and beretta 92s, some glock mags were expensive depending on model. I paid over $ 450 for 4 glock 21 mags (stupid)
View Quote

That is how you learn, pain and/or money.  I am trying to head off both.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Imagine Butler Creek  25rd 1022 mags going for $125. And Glock standard cap mags going for  $80 and up. And the only somewhat affordable mags for various guns were USA brand aftermarket mags that were a hit or miss in reliability.

It's the reason anybody who went through it owns a gazillion magazines.

But ironically AK mags I remember were cheaper then today.
View Quote

Aw shit, good ol' USA brand mags! Same quality as Triple K brand!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This, and people will find ways around the wording of the law like they always have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371851/4540842D-CB69-4CAB-A5FE-99B49B31A770_jpe-1792397.JPG
View Quote

LMAO! That picture is awesome
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It sucked.

Prior to the ban in 1990 or so I had a little but of money and should have bought a couple AR's, Im really not sure why I didn't. It's possible there weren't any to be had in my area at the time.  I did buy a PolyTech NM AK.  

After that I started college and didn't have any money for guns until 1996 or so when I was able to pick up a post ban COLT HBAR.  Pre-ban uppers were available and I also picked up an upper in a pre-ban configuration but was too paranoid to mate the two and take them to the range.

Finding any mags over ten rounds sucked, when you did they were stupid expensive.

I remember having a friend who was big into AR's and FALs, and sitting at him at gun show in Missoula.  Someone walked by with something, may have been an FAL and my buddy pulled out this huge bar of silver to offer in trade. I didn't see that one coming.

Crazy times.

If/when the next one comes, it will be way different.  Either turn them all in or you can keep them but have to register them.

I'm getting older, and if that happens will have to make a decision as to what to do with my excess firearms.  I couldn't/wouldnt want to be stuck with a lot of stuff I cannot get rid of easily.  Chances are ill sell off a large chunk of what I own and keep one or two.

Fuck Biden...and Fuck anyone who voted for that guy.

In 2006 when the AWB ended I went on a rifle buying craze and whenever I had an extra thousand or two to spend would pick up a rifle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks guy's for all the responses. What impressed me the most was three pages and did not go off the rails!  My thoughts are that we need to get this shit-show going, we all know it is coming one way or another lets get going now so life can move on.  We will find out which Republicans suck an which Democrats will cross party lines. If it does not make it though GREAT ammo and guns will slowly become available.  If it passes house and senate it will undoubtedly end up at SCOTUS where we may have a chance?? and ammo and guns slowly become available. It was stated somewhere in this thread that we ALL need to stick together and call/write reps, I add we need to do so with great vigor or we loose.

Enough rambling. Thanks again for input.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top