Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 2:23:05 PM EDT
Got this a few days ago , already ordered about 600 dollars in parts. They guy I bought it from  told me the carburetor was bad and leaking. I was able to get the carburetor leak fixed and adjusted and now she fires up quick. Still need to redo the brakes , rear lift arms , front tires and seals . I know it’s not a car or a bike but this was the closest forum I could find on here to post questions when they come up. I’ll be updating this periodically as I get new parts and get her back to 100% operational!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Its cool. 6v or 12v ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#2]
As a guy who used to own an old Ford tractor they have strong resale value and more so now that people want to do small farms
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 1947 8n I hope to get running soon.I have all the parts to convert to 12VDC, electronic ignition.

I sometimes wonder how many thousands of those old Fords are still working.I'd bet its a bunch....
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice tractor.

My dad had one with a bucket loader on it.  Not sure who thought that was a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice tractor.

My dad had one with a bucket loader on it.  Not sure who thought that was a good idea.
View Quote

LOL, pump run off front of engine?
Had one too.

Saw one that only had a lift arm on one side, must've been from a marshmallow farm.

I still have a 640, but needs some attention.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice! Tractors are a very handy tool to have.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Uncles and relatives had tractors... Cool project
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Had one too.

Saw one that only had a lift arm on one side, must've been from a marshmallow farm.

View Quote

I bought a 641 a couple years ago,did some rehab and then sold it.It had factory power steering....
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its cool. 6v or 12v ?
View Quote

6v but it starts like a champ
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I run that Rotella 15w40 oil in my old Ford gassers.

If you are going to work it, just switch it to 12 volts right now.  Its very easy. I did my 4 cylinder 4000 and it runs much better, starts instantly when its hot, and actually charges my battery. Solved 3 issues at once I had been fighting for 6 or 7 years. I put that petronix ignition in as well, make sure to buy low resistance wires and not the solid coppers ones....ask me how I know. Petronix warrantied it at least. No where in my directions said to do that. Been running great since. While I was waiting for the new module I put the points back in and back to the 6 volt coil and it ran noticeably worse but still good. Most issues I think were old junk wiring and weak generator.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I run that Rotella 15w40 oil in my old Ford gassers.

If you are going to work it, just switch it to 12 volts right now.  Its very easy. I did my 4 cylinder 4000 and it runs much better, starts instantly when its hot, and actually charges my battery. Solved 3 issues at once I had been fighting for 6 or 7 years. I put that petronix ignition in as well, make sure to buy low resistance wires and not the solid coppers ones....ask me how I know. Petronix warrantied it at least. No where in my directions said to do that. Been running great since. While I was waiting for the new module I put the points back in and back to the 6 volt coil and it ran noticeably worse but still good. Most issues I think were old junk wiring and weak generator.
View Quote

I'm going to offer the counterpoint that if the tractor runs fine now, and you don't need 12v for some specific application, don't change it.

I've got a 52 8n I've owned for about 14 years. Its clapped out, burns oil and the wiring harness is in bad shape. Original 6 volt system. It lives in an unheated pole barn and is my main snow mover. It starts every time, even in sub-zero temps. It's got horrible compression and burns oil, but the electrical system works just fine. I've replaced the battery one time in 14 years.

There's a frequent saying on the 8n version of arfcom that goes something like, "there are a million ways to convert a ford N tractor to 12 volts, and about 3 of them are correct."

When it finally comes time to fix mine (might be soon) I'll be sticking with 6.

The NAA is not much different than an 8n. The big changes came in the next series the 6xx and 8xx tractors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
If he's still on here, rodent has one too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I bought a 641 a couple years ago,did some rehab and then sold it.It had factory power steering....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had one too.

PS???
Nice!
Kids used to ask me how I got so strong, I'd point to the 640.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Had one too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice tractor.

Had one too.

Exactly!

Ours had two lift arms, and a huge amount of weight on the 3 point, but it still took everything a teenage boy had to make it turn when something was in the bucket.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The NAA is not much different than an 8n. The big changes came in the next series the 6xx and 8xx tractors.
View Quote

No, but it is in fact an improved design. We've got a 9n, an 8n, a '53 Jubilee, and a '54 NAA just like the OP. The Jubilee has a Lord loader and Sherman backhoe. We still use it frequently on the farm. The NAA is a decent tractor for its time and it does most of our bush hogging.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice! Much want.

I have a terrible thought to have my own little fleet of antique tractors, dozer, and forklift at some point. Thankfully I have no space to keep or play with them right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top