Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2019 3:13:59 AM EDT

An 18-carat solid gold toilet has been stolen in a burglary overnight at Blenheim Palace.

A gang broke into the Oxfordshire palace at about 04:50 BST and stole the artwork, Thames Valley Police said.

The working toilet - entitled America, which visitors had been invited to use - has not been found but a 66-year-old man has been arrested.

The burglary caused "significant damage and flooding" because the toilet was plumbed into the building, police said.

It was part of an exhibition by Italian conceptual artist Maurizio Cattelan that opened on Thursday.

The 18th Century stately home is a World Heritage Site and the birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill. It is currently closed while investigations continue.

Speaking last month, Edward Spencer-Churchill - half-brother of the current Duke of Marlborough - said he was relaxed about security for the artwork.

"It's not going to be the easiest thing to nick," he said.

Visitors to the exhibition were free to use the palace's throne for its intended purpose, with a three-minute time limit to avoid queues.

Det Insp Jess Milne, said: "The piece of art that has been stolen is a high-value toilet made out of gold that was on display at the palace.

"We believe a group of offenders used at least two vehicles during the offence.

"The artwork has not been recovered at this time but we are conducting a thorough investigation to find it and bring those responsible to justice."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-49700620
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:16:44 AM EDT
[#1]
"Art." Good theft.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:17:40 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you pawn something like that?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably melted down by now
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Ain't gonna see that back unless some idiot opens said mouth. Melt down into gold bars and be set for life.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:23:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Stupid fucks installed the TP holder facing the wrong way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:33:55 AM EDT
[#6]
So the arrest thinks America is the golden shit hole and he welcomes people to piss and shit in America.

Maybe I'm taking it to literal but f the artist.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell a regular toilet weighs enough, they would need a crane to pick that sucker up, I can't imagine how much it weighed!

Link Posted: 9/15/2019 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#8]
That would be one heavy mother fucker
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the arrest thinks America is the golden shit hole and he welcomes people to piss and shit in America.

View Quote
That's my take from it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
That thing looks awesome.

Would use.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
They refer to us as “seppos”, are you surprised they named a toilet America?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm skeptical that it's solid gold.  It would cost millions in gold, and it would have been very difficult to steal.  I'll bet it was gold plated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Police are stumped, they have nothing to go on
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#14]
18k “solid” gold?

I doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Why would they call a toilet "America"?

I consider that an insult.  Fuck the Brit's.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Laughs in American
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Police are stumped, they have nothing to go on
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hell a regular toilet weighs enough, they would need a crane to pick that sucker up, I can't imagine how much it weighed!

View Quote
No way that is solid gold, I’m sure the playing is solid gold, like those coins for sale on Fox News.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm skeptical that it's solid gold.  It would cost millions in gold, and it would have been very difficult to steal.  I'll bet it was gold plated.
View Quote
No, it actually IS solid gold.  And yes, it does weigh...wait for it...

A SHIT TON!

The police won't be able to solve this crime.

They have nothing to go on.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Now, that's a place to take an expensive shit on.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, it actually IS solid gold.  And yes, it does weigh...wait for it...

A SHIT TON!

The police won't be able to solve this crime.

They have nothing to go on.
View Quote
Double Secret probation for stealing joke and not reading other posts. To big of a hurry to get stupid shit ton reference added.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I started typing before the other guy hit the post button.   Can't see new comments made while typing.  Probation rejected.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Speaking last month, Edward Spencer-Churchill - half-brother of the current Duke of Marlborough - said he was relaxed about security for the artwork.

"It's not going to be the easiest thing to nick," he said.
View Quote
Winston was the smart one in that family
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Hopefully it was someone who's family was saved by the United States back in and after World War 2 that took it.

Maybe they were rightly pissed that some artist wanted people to shut on America and did the right thing and took it.

I doubt it, but Churchill would be rolling in his grave.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I wish I had a gold,toilet. I’d call it the USS Barrack Hussein Obama.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wish I had a gold,toilet. I’d call it the USS Barrack Hussein Obama.
View Quote
No, that’s what you do when you sit on the toilet. As in, I’ll be right back I gotta go take an Obama.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Again?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#30]
So the Brits installed a stupid and opulent art project in a historic palace, in order to make fun of America, but failed to adequately protect it (and in fact were smug about it being hard to steel) and in the end it was stolen from them.

If that's not a metaphor for the UK, the I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Professional thieves really can steal about anything.

We had a massive antique porcelain neon sign above a restaurant we were building a while back stolen by guys who rolled up in construction vests and a crane truck. Neighbors watched the whole thing, but because it looked official didn't pay much mind to any useful details and the thieves were never found.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#33]
If the toilet weighs as much as a normal porcelain one does, (which is about 70 to 120 pounds), it could cost anywhere between $1,474,592 and $2,527,872, considering the current value of gold, making this commode a pricy one.lid gold?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A normal toilet weighs more than 40 pounds.  Solid gold would weigh hundreds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
How much does solid gold weigh?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why would they call a toilet "America"?

I consider that an insult.  Fuck the Brit's.
View Quote

Any of you read ever?

A) even if the artist was British it’s ine person out of 65 million

B) The artwork by Italian conceptual artist Maurizio Cattelan

Oh and what they said about security

Edward Spencer-Churchill, half-brother of the current Duke of Marlborough and founder of the Blenheim Art Foundation, told the Times last month: “Despite being born with a silver spoon in my mouth I have never had a shit on a golden toilet, so I look forward to it."

Asked if he was worried about security, he said: "It’s not going to be the easiest thing to nick.

“Firstly, it’s plumbed in and secondly, a potential thief will have no idea who last used the toilet or what they ate. So no, I don’t plan to be guarding it.”
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ain't gonna see that back unless some idiot opens said mouth.
View Quote
Replace ‘said’ with ‘aforementioned’ and see if your dumb sentence makes any sense.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well the story on ABC says it is worth over a million.

Solid Gold Toilet

The article on CNN says it is worth 6 million

Solid Gold Toilet Stolen
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#39]
The Meth Family Robinson that lived down the hall from me in the apartment building years ago had a scrawny friend that never had a shirt on when he came by to stay, and he drove a very ugly van.  He ends up popping up online in security camera pictures from a scrap metal business, standing in the shop (no shirt on, as usual) and clear pics of his ugly van parked outside.  It seems a big bronze eagle statue from in front of a nearby business was stolen, and meth boy was there trying to sell the cut up remains of it.

I don't know if they caught him or not, but I noticed his van suddenly wasn't around our parking lot for a while and we didn't see him but then I see the Meth family hanging around a newer white van one day.  Made me wonder if he was tipped off and sold it and got a new one or they turned him in for the reward and gifted themselves with a new ride with reward money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:t
View Quote
Wrong
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope - You are spot on.   Edgy "Assault Art"...

Funny thing, Winston Churchill was 1/2 American (his mother) and was honored to received US Citizenship after WWII.

Glad that the Artist is missing a LOT of gold.

Cue Nelson & HaHA....
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Any of you read ever?

A) even if the artist was British it’s ine person out of 65 million

B) The artwork by Italian conceptual artist Maurizio Cattelan

Oh and what they said about security

Edward Spencer-Churchill, half-brother of the current Duke of Marlborough and founder of the Blenheim Art Foundation, told the Times last month: “Despite being born with a silver spoon in my mouth I have never had a shit on a golden toilet, so I look forward to it."

Asked if he was worried about security, he said: "It’s not going to be the easiest thing to nick.

“Firstly, it’s plumbed in and secondly, a potential thief will have no idea who last used the toilet or what they ate. So no, I don’t plan to be guarding it.”
View Quote
I disagree.  I read the article, but not sure you did.  It was on display in not just a palace, but a culturally and historically significant government building.  So this means it is not just one person, it has the backing and approval of the British government.  This is supposed to be an ally, but they resort to petty and immature acts  like this to let us know how they really feel about us.  I still say fuck them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#43]
In before "The guy who crapped in your tuba is here!"
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Pure gold is heavier or as heavy as Lead
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:t
Wrong
What do you think is going to happen when you pull on the tp? Think carefully.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top