Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2019 12:52:17 AM EDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO4gkvjJfmc

As reported by the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) earlier this month, in February a group of boys on a school field trip discovered an almost 1,600-year-old gold coin from the Byzantine Empire in a park just north of Nazareth in the region of Galilee.

Minted in the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) capital of Constantinople (modern Istanbul), the gold solidus was struck around 420 to 423 CE and features the emperor Theodosius II on the obverse. Victoria, the personification of victory, holds a staff of the cross on the reverse. Becoming emperor at the age of seven, Theodosius was born in 401 and died in 450. He is perhaps most famous for the Theodosian Code, or Codex Theodosianus, which codified and compiled the corpus of Roman law established since 312. It was published in its complete form in 438.

One notable effect of the Codex was that it gave Jews an inferior legal status within the Empire, preventing them from serving in the armed forces or joining the civil service and prohibiting the construction of new synagogues. The Codex also effectively eliminated the Nasi, or “president”, of the Great Sanhedrin by diverting native Jewish payments from the Sanhedrin to Imperial coffers. The Sanhedrin itself would dissolve shortly thereafter.

This makes the discovery of this gold coin–which, according to Dr. Gabriela “Gabi” Bichovsky, a numismatist with the IAA, is “the first time a coin of this kind has been discovered in the Land of Israel,”–somewhat ironic, as it happened in the one-time regional capital and the governing seat of the Sanhedrin itself, along a new hiking trail dedicated to the Sanhedrin.

The four ninth-grade students who found the solidus (Ido Kadosh, Ofir Siegel, Dotan Miller, and Harel Green) are from Kibbutz Yifat. The boys first showed the coin to their history teacher, Zohar Porshyan, who notified the IAA of the discovery. The young men then showed IAA archaeologist Nir Distelfeld where the gold solidus had been located. All four students received a Certificate of Good Citizenship for finding and reporting the historical treasure.

“It is uncommon to find single gold coins as they were very valuable,” said Distelfeld, who serves as an anti-theft inspector with the Antiquities Authority. The coin is now in the possession of the State Treasury.
View Quote
https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/high-school-students-find-first-gold-solidus-of-theodosius-ii-ever-discovered-in-israel/
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Did Spain claim it yet?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:The coin is now in the possession of the State Treasury.
View Quote

Greedy government bastards.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Poor kid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The coin is now in the possession of the State Treasury.
Poor kid.
Yeah, he got nothing on that one...
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#5]
What coin?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a hell of a find
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
They should be rewarded with equal cash value shares of the value of that coin.  That would be RIGHT.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Something's not kosher with this story. (??) How do you just take a walk through the park and just happen to kick off a little bit of sand from a 1600 year old coin to magically discover it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:The coin is now in the possession of the State Treasury.
Thejewsdidthis.gif
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Poor kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor kid.
Look on the bright side...

"All four students received a Certificate of Good Citizenship for finding and reporting the historical treasure."

Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Something's not kosher with this story. (??) How do you just take a walk through the park and just happen to kick off a little bit of sand from a 1600 year old coin to magically discover it?
View Quote
Happens all the time. Wind moves sand, water moves sand, nobody kicked that spot in a couple thousand years. World is a big place.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Sure wish I had a certificate suitable for framing instead of this stupid gold coin said no one ever.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Moron should have kept his mouth shut.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ever find arrow heads?  Recent rain?  4 boys searching for treasure moving all loose rocks and scratching a little?

Not hard to imagine at all.........

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sure wish I had a certificate suitable for framing instead of this stupid gold coin said no one ever.
View Quote
Right? They found the coin, they now know currency from that era was circulating in that area. Alright, now let's put it in a box in some fucking museum (not even on display), until some corrupt official takes and sells it or it's totally forgotten.

Just another form of government theft.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Who wouldnt be happy with a "Certificate of Good Citizenship". That is worth more then any treasure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They should be rewarded with equal cash value shares of the value of that coin.  That would be RIGHT.
View Quote
You expect them to hand the kid $2,000? shouldn't that $1,500 be given to the parents instead? and why would they need a $1,000 anyway? it's only fair that Israel keeps the $500 since its their land.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, he got Jewed on that one...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor kid.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did Spain claim it yet?
View Quote
. Those shit bags would
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:22:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've walked around historical sites in that part of the world, and there are pottery shards everywhere. Every one of them as old as that coin, or even older.  Even the occasional peice of roman glasd.  Seriously, we found hundreds in a day.  Took a look at them, and then threw them back on the ground
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#21]
"It was priceless."

"Not in Israel. I got me a Certificate of Good Citizenship for it."
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:27:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've walked around historical sites in that part of the world, and there are pottery shards everywhere. Every one of them as old as that coin, or even older.  Even the occasional peice of roman glasd.  Seriously, we found hundreds in a day.  Took a look at them, and then threw them back on the ground
View Quote
came here to post exactly this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#23]
The details on that coin are awfully sharp for a soft metal sitting in the dirt for 1,600 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:39:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What coin?
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don’t believe it because you can’t smell gold.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:46:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You expect them to hand the kid $2,000? shouldn't that $1,500 be given to the parents instead? and why would they need a $1,000 anyway? it's only fair that Israel keeps the $500 since its their land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they wanted that coin so bad, maybe they should have gone and found it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The details on that coin are awfully sharp for a soft metal sitting in the dirt for 1,600 years.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing.  Looks like a pretty high grade for something they found in the dirt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The difference is broken pottery is worthless, and people who find it throw it back on the ground like you did.  Nobody picks up a gold coin and throws it back.  That coin was worth a months wages for laborers or soldiers for most of history.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:18:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was thinking the same thing.  Looks like a pretty high grade for something they found in the dirt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking the same as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:23:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Makes for good tourist bait.

"Hey I'm going there to see if I can find me one a them there coins..."

Cheap advertising.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:33:43 AM EDT
[#31]
What is the FMV of that coin?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Happens all the time. Wind moves sand, water moves sand, nobody kicked that spot in a couple thousand years. World is a big place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, plus, it’s fake.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:45:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What is the FMV of that coin?
View Quote
Metal value? Maybe 1k, i can't tell how big it is.

Probably worth 50k in that condition as a guess, it looks perfect.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Solidus coin

4.5g of 23K gold

Going rate appears to be $1K-5K

Easily generated more than $1K in advertising.

Maybe the tourism board salted the area for.the students to "discover" it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor kid.
Is anyone really Jewed when a Jew Jews a Jew?

Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Coin spills happen.

Watch metal detecting videos.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 4:45:07 AM EDT
[#37]
When Jesus kicked the ass of the money changers in the tabernacle, think about what they were doing, exchanging foreign currency. I forget the verse in Deuteronomy but they were actually commanded by God to sell their animals and then buy in Jerusalem if the journey was too far (you couldn't be mitt romney and tie up a cage to the top of your car and go driving at 70mph back then). This makes sense though because God's Word has always been revealed to all people

In Deuteronomy 28:10 God makes it clear that even in the old testament, when the physical nation of Israel was his chosen people, ALL other people of the earth knew about it. Even in the old testament, people from everywhere were getting saved, and instead of getting baptized and going to church to show obedience, they would come do sacrifices in Jerusalem and have to change out their money (which was perfectly fine, it just wasn't supposed to happen IN the tabernacle). Some of the more devout ones even became Jews. One of the 12 spies, Caleb was a Kenizzite and not even racially Jewish.  It would make sense that these activities could have continued until 400 AD if the Gospel hadn't reached some of them yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:07:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Did Spain claim it yet?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#39]
So I live in Israel for work (been here for about 9 months now).

This winter has been exceptionally rainy. One of the wettest in recent memory according to the locals. Could be related.

Or the tourist board. Both likely.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:16:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The difference is broken pottery is worthless, and people who find it throw it back on the ground like you did.  Nobody picks up a gold coin and throws it back.  That coin was worth a months wages for laborers or soldiers for most of history.
View Quote
Apparently some soldier did 1600 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#41]
That’s messed up.  The kids should have received the dollar value of the coin instead of a certificate.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
They get a few pallets of Indian pottery from Pier One, smash it up, then sprinkle it around.

Then they buy Chicom carbon dating machines off Alibaba and turn the dial in the back to "87 B.C."

Presto! Look! Ancient artifacts!
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Another possibility is a fake. I mean look where its coming from lol.

I remember looking through some old photo reels at a state park and asking the interpreter about one of them where a guy was holding a coin out in the woods. This guy had gone to an old coin shop and tried to say he found a hundreds of years old European coin under a rock in mainland US, just to get attention
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When Jesus kicked the ass of the money changers in the tabernacle, think about what they were doing, exchanging foreign currency. I forget the verse in Deuteronomy but they were actually commanded by God to sell their animals and then buy in Jerusalem if the journey was too far (you couldn't be mitt romney and tie up a cage to the top of your car and go driving at 70mph back then). This makes sense though because God's Word has always been revealed to all people

In Deuteronomy 28:10 God makes it clear that even in the old testament, when the physical nation of Israel was his chosen people, ALL other people of the earth knew about it. Even in the old testament, people from everywhere were getting saved, and instead of getting baptized and going to church to show obedience, they would come do sacrifices in Jerusalem and have to change out their money (which was perfectly fine, it just wasn't supposed to happen IN the tabernacle). Some of the more devout ones even became Jews. One of the 12 spies, Caleb was a Kenizzite and not even racially Jewish.  It would make sense that these activities could have continued until 400 AD if the Gospel hadn't reached some of them yet.
View Quote
um whatev
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:25:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course gold is a very hard metal, and highly resistant to abrasion.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#48]
claimed by Spain.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#50]
"It is uncommon to find single gold coins as they were very valuable," said Distelfeld, who serves as an anti-theft inspector with the Antiquities Authority. The coin is now in the possession of the State Treasury.

Anti theft inspector=govt. thief.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top