Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/1/2018 8:12:32 AM EDT
102 years since The Battle of the Somme began.

The Dubliners - The battle of the Somme

10 facts about the Battle of the Somme

Battle of the Somme in pictures

feel free to add more pictures/links/video
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
thankfully we don't fight wars that way anymore..(not that Im saying the way we fight now is pleasant).
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I have done extensive reading on the battle of the Somme and World War I in general. The refusal of the British and French to modify their tactics in the face of new technology and tactics used  by the Germans is criminal. The mass human waves against machine gun emplacements while having to cross open ground was criminal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Simply insane.

I couldn't even imagine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The numbers are flat out staggering.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The Generals fucked over there men big time
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have done extensive reading on the battle of the Somme and World War I in general. The refusal of the British and French to modify their tactics in the face of new technology and tactics used  by the Germans is criminal. The mass human waves against machine gun emplacements while having to cross open ground was criminal.
View Quote
Came here to say much the same thing.  Such tactics were outdated by 1865 and suicide with the coming of repeating rifles, not to mention the machine gun.  Those generals should have been hanged.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Over The Top Blackadder Goes Fourth Final Scene
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've read books on the Somme and Verdun.

The scale of the carnage is impossible to fathom.  So much new technology introduced and a hell of a steep learning curve where old strategy was suicide.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The scale of the carnage is impossible to fathom.  So much new technology introduced and a hell of a steep learning curve where old strategy was suicide.
View Quote
Verdun is another one that was fucking awful.

reading books or interviews from survivors on both sides or people who lived there, what a fucking mess.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I've said it before and I'll say it again: WWI was worse for the fighting man than WWII.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, they should have not done frontal attacks, instead they should have tried to flank the positions like they did in 1914 and early 1915.
/sarcasm
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: WWI was worse for the fighting man than WWII.
View Quote
great grandfather fought in WWI

grandfather fought in WWII

both saw some shit

GGF came out more fucked up but he ended up getting mustard gassed by the germans....twice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Paths of Glory
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
20,000 dead Brits on day one of the battle.

In the defense of the generals, until tanks showed up, how else were they supposed to engage the Germans? There was a system of trenches from Switzerland to the North Sea. The Italians were dug in the Alps dealing with the A-H Empire. All they could really do is what they did: hammer the enemy with artillery and then send in troops to exploit the bombardment. It sucks, but there it is.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not going to argue, but the worst situation I can fathom is fighting on a WW2 eastern front for the Germans.  Undermanned, low supplies, freezing conditions.

And the commies just keep on coming...
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:05:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Something I have found interesting is the use of 'pals' battalions, troops all from the same village, region, or occupation. Many of these formations were entirely wiped out on July 1st, much to the devastation of people back in Blighty.

Some troops literally 'kicked off' with a soccer ball, thinking it was going to be a mere stroll into the German lines after the week of bombardment.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:11:26 AM EDT
[#18]
My great grandfather fought in WWI.

Got mustard gassed and sent home, almost died. Bought a farmhouse and became the patriarch of our family. Lived to 100 years old, was splitting and stacking firewood with a full head of hair in his 90s. The french government gave him the Legion of Honor before he died.

He's one of my heroes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#19]
One of my great grandfathers was a Marine at Belleau Wood. One was just a bit too young and missed WW1 but was too old for WW2. He sent two brothers to France, but only one came home. One was responsible for his siblings (parents died when he was 13) and worked in a steel mill so he got a deferment. One I don't know about.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:20:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I read the battle took 700,000 lives. One battle.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Something I have found interesting is the use of 'pals' battalions, troops all from the same village, region, or occupation. Many of these formations were entirely wiped out on July 1st, much to the devastation of people back in Blighty.

Some troops literally 'kicked off' with a soccer ball, thinking it was going to be a mere stroll into the German lines after the week of bombardment.
View Quote
George mentions this in the Blackadder clip I posted.

“I’m the last of the Tiddlywinking Leapfroggers from the Golden Summer of 1914.... I don’t want to die..”
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read the battle took 700,000 lives. One battle.
View Quote
It was bad, but not that bad. Allied losses were about 650k wounded with 150k killed. German losses were 600k wounded and 165k killed.

Just for comparison, the combined losses for Gettysburg were about 10,000 casusalties (killed, wounded, and missing). The British lost almost 20k dead on the first day of the Somme.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not going to argue, but the worst situation I can fathom is fighting on a WW2 eastern front for the Germans.  Undermanned, low supplies, freezing conditions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, but that was WWI EVERYWHERE. I'm with Wobblin-Goblin, from what I've read & seen The Great War was the epitome of "War is Hell." Basically Iwo Jima everyday, with poison gas.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In the defense of the generals, until tanks showed up, how else were they supposed to engage the Germans? There was a system of trenches from Switzerland to the North Sea. The Italians were dug in the Alps dealing with the A-H Empire. All they could really do is what they did: hammer the enemy with artillery and then send in troops to exploit the bombardment. It sucks, but there it is.
View Quote
There were ways. The germans didn't hate a meaningful number of tanks for the Kaiserschlat. Rolling barrages that walked the infantry in, combined with squads allowed to react to changing conditions autonomously, worked quite well for the germans in 1918.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#25]
British soldier Edward Dwyer sings "We''re Here Because We''re Here" 1916

It's amazing soldiers still feel the same way at times.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. The fighting conditions were miserable and humanity had never seen anything remotely like it before WW1. And hasn't touched on it since. It was truly a mind fuck for the soldiers.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone put up Elgar's Nimrod from YouTube, the video of Variations.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I agree. The fighting conditions were miserable and humanity had never seen anything remotely like it before WW1. And hasn't touched on it since. It was truly a mind fuck for the soldiers.
View Quote
It is amazing that any of the soldiers that were lucky enough to come home from that were able to function at all. To see that shit first hand had to be devastating.

Some tuff SOBs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There were ways. The germans didn't hate a meaningful number of tanks for the Kaiserschlat. Rolling barrages that walked the infantry in, combined with squads allowed to react to changing conditions autonomously, worked quite well for the germans in 1918.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It took time to develop those tactics. All armies are hidebound and trained to fight the last war. They don't just change how they do business. It simply takes time and bodies to learn how to do things differently.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#31]
We lost 53,000 in less then one year
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Easily so, for the western and mediterranean theaters. I would say that many of the troops in the pacific theater probably faced conditions equally as bad, though for much less time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We lost 53,000 in less then one year
View Quote
That's a Korea or Vietnam in the space of a year.

And then we get to add in the Spanish Flu a year later.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It is amazing that any of the soldiers that were lucky enough to come home from that were able to function at all. To see that shit first hand had to be devastating.

Some tuff SOBs.
View Quote
Dan Carlin said that the Generation that fought in WW1 had a very different view of war than we have today. War of previous generations was seen as an important part of keeping Civilization healthy and alive. Sort of like exercise for the human body.

Perhaps, that kind of optimism and embrace of war is what allowed our Great Or Great Great Grand Fathers to endure it and still somehow function after that horror show.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's no wonder the french troops mutinied.   The generals really though that the way to win was to mass so many troops they couldn't all be mowed down.  They were wrong and it took them years to realize it. Such a stupid waste.

If you want to get really depressed, think of how many inventors, scientists, artists, entrepreneurs, etc.,  all got drafted and mowed down.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Generals fucked over there men big time
View Quote
A scene from Paths of Glory, fiction heavily based in truth. A must see.

Path of Glory - The execution scene Full - 1957 S. Kubrick
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#38]
WW1 has always fascinated me. What a shit show.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy shit!
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#40]
The story of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at the Battle of the Somme.

Of the 700 men who were present on 01 JUL 16, less than 110 were there on 02 JUL 16 and only 68 were fit for duty. The effects of the regiment's losses that day are still felt on the island today. The losses meant a great percentage of the able bodied men from the island were gone, which caused a huge economic impact, which led the island into poverty. That poverty led to an inability to self govern, and caused the island to have to join Canada.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
And still, the Germans stalled when their guns and their supply lines couldn't keep up with the troops.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I am on the side that the generals should of been accountable. I am not thinking the war should of been given up on to avoid casualties. Losing wars usually has a severe cost. Just to win all need to be accountable not just the ones in the mud. They were really rough over there on the troops. Just look up how quick the French were to execute their own troops for rather shoddy reasons. The generals got a way with a lot. There is another side to the story. A number of those generals were not busy spending every waking moment trying to find a way out of the bloodbath for their troops. They were busy spending a lot of time enjoying the Paris nightlife. Then when it came to strategy just have the troops charge the guns. A lot of people who should not have been in a position of a authority banded together to cover for each other.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#44]
just found some books that belonged to my grandpa and his dad as well.

found his dads infantry drill regulations book from 1904.

hes the one that got gassed twice
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Someone put up Elgar's Nimrod from YouTube, the video of Variations.
View Quote
This one?

Elgar - Nimrod "Enigma Variations"
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#46]
...reads thread in Dan Carlin's voice...
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's a Korea or Vietnam in the space of a year.

And then we get to add in the Spanish Flu a year later.
View Quote
At the first Battle of the Marne, the French had 80k killed in the span of 6 days to the German losses of 67,700 killed and that was an Allied victory that stopped the German advance.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Brits were supposed to be using new artillery tactics and counter battery tactics.  Most batteries did not use them or really train for them.  In the one part of the line that did.. the division commander did some gutsy and worthwhile things: made his arty guys drill with the new tactics over and over, had his men stage, quietly, about 100 yards from the German trenches the night before, and had his arty come in as close as possible to help wipe out German resistance.

Was the one successful attack on Day 1.  They made it to the 2nd line trenches IIRC but the Brit higher ups wouldnt move reinforcements to successful portions of the line so taking advantage was out of the question.  In 1917, the Germans did just that and almost broke through.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It was bad, but not that bad. Allied losses were about 650k wounded with 150k killed. German losses were 600k wounded and 165k killed.

Just for comparison, the combined losses for Gettysburg were about 10,000 casusalties (killed, wounded, and missing). The British lost almost 20k dead on the first day of the Somme.
View Quote
Gettysburg was 53,000 casualties with 15,000 dead.  The Somme was 350,000 casualties for the Brits with 95,000 killed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top