Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2020 10:57:53 PM EDT
and didn't think him truthful.  Altered things for the story, demonized men and wanted people to lie.   Just something to think about if you're reading his book, Band of Bros.  47:27
Full Interview: Ed Shames (Part III)
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is part 1
Full Interview: Ed Shames (Part I)

and part 2
Full Interview: Ed Shames (Part II)
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#2]
They fucking WALKED to Benning from Atlanta to go to jump school?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They fucking WALKED to Benning from Atlanta to go to jump school?
View Quote

The book I have says 2nd battalion walked from Toccoa to Atlanta, and 3rd battalion walked from Atlanta to Benning. First battalion took the train all the way there. Third battalion set the record.

I believe Shames started in 3rd as enlisted, but got a field promotion and was thus forced to leave 3rd.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Ambrose was a reporter for the army magazine ATTACK He worked at the same desk as Bill Maudin

Ambrose has been criticized roundly by historians for glorifying the war effort &  being too patriotic in his historical accounts.

as a historian.   He was there & he is a primary source  so you have to start your research somewhere.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes as I understand they marched from Toccoa to Atlanta. Have been to Currahhee Mtn several times and by the reconstructed Camp Toccoa where they have reunions. The military museum in Toccoa is well worth the trip in my opinion.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ambrose was a reporter for the army magazine ATTACK He worked at the same desk as Bill Maudin

https://64.media.tumblr.com/567985310984418b70f44170615ad6ea/825e6a76b94d5dcc-5a/s400x600/6ed39e446f01fc954d7f8a55686c32e3f693488a.jpg

Ambrose has been criticized roundly by historians for glorifying the war effort &  being too patriotic in his historical accounts.

as a historian.   He was there & he is a primary source  so you have to start your research somewhere.

View Quote

His accounts are in direct opposition to accounts of people who were there and whom he mentions in the miniseries. Lt. Shames  for one and Pfc Webster for another as told in his book " Parachute Infantry". I loved the mini series but was disappointed after watching the interviews with Shames  and reading Webster's book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top