Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 10:36:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
4.10 would be the preferred ratio for heavy towing.

I have a Suburban with the 6.0 and 6L90.  Great combination, and pretty fucking bulletproof.  A buddy had a Savanah with the same combo with 750k on the odo and still going.  It was on its second engine and the trans had been rebuilt once.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Ford van about 7 years ago. 12 passenger e350, it towed just fine I would regularly haul 5-6k lbs of flooring in a small trailer. Imo i enjoy driving work vans more than trucks, I love the visibility and seating position vs a long hood on a truck.

I really miss the little trailer I had for it too, 5x8 with double 7k axles. You couldn’t  overload that little thing, I’ve never seen another one that size with double axles
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree, but the 6.0 only comes with the 3.42.    The Duramax only comes with a 3.54

page 13

The good thing is they seem to be more reasonably priced than trucks
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=579923935
View Quote
You could change the gears and then have the cpu remapped or change the chip to correct speed and shift points.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got a lot miles in the seats of work vans. Driving empty the GM vans are alright. Hauling heavy the Ford has superior weight handling and breaks. The GMs have mushy suspension and brakes.

The gear ratio probably doesn’t matter, it’s got a 6 speed with smaller tires and wheels than the pickups get.

GM vans are seriously old school. After 30 years on the same chassis, they drive like boats, still have too many issues- mostly electrical, that GM fails to correct. The windows and headlights rattle down the road. Brake pedal hits the floor without warning, where’s the brake pad squealers GM?

After doing a lot of research, I bought a Nissan van. It handles much better, brakes better, handles weight just fine, has more front seat space and comfort. The 5.6 will smoke the 6.0. It’s basically what GM should’ve updated to a long time ago.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got about 10 Chevy 2500 express vans with service bodies.  

They are slow and take some fuel.

Even new they have quirks.  They drive like a boat.  Like a 50s Buick.

They will handle up to 9-10k then they start acting funny over that.  

They are slow and are old, but they just work.

The driving position is relatively cramped.  

That said, they are great reliable units.  I am switching to all transit vans because I don’t tow with mine they are service trucks.

They also can’t seem to hold alignments
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top