Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2018 12:00:20 AM EDT
I stopped vaping about two years ago...and started smoking again recently (yeah, I know I'm a dumbass). I'm going to head to a local vape store tomorrow and pickup a RTA of some sort (and throw away this pack of cigarettes). Can you guys please tell me some comparable brands/models to what I used to have? (hopefully something popular that they'll stock). I'm just so far out of the loop I don't know what's out there now and just want to pickup a quick setup and not have to do 20 hours of research like I used to do back in the day (yeah, I guess I'm a lazy sob now too lol).

I still have all the high-amp 18650's and am charging them now (I use them in high-end flashlights too so the batteries are still good). I found my Joyetech eVic VTC Mini 75W (can't find my Sigelei 150w dual-18650 which was my main mod), and I assume I can still use the Joyetech (it turned on, and it was set at 23 watts...have no clue if that was what I usually vaped at or not).

I had to check through my email it's been so long, and the last RTA's I used was a GeekVape Griffin RTA, and a Vaporesso Gemini RTA, both with dual 0.6 Clapton Coils (which I think means it was 0.3 ohms?...seriously, I've forgotten most of this stuff). I would HIGHLY prefer to not have to go through building and installing coils. Have the pre-made cartridge type coils (i.e. easily replaceable - screw in type or whatever) caught up to the same quality of vape as the DIY coils? (I remember never liking any of the pre-made replaceable type coils last time around).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#1]
First thing I would do is change that title.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First thing I would do is change that title.
View Quote
Changed. Thanks for the heads-up. I've never known cursing to be a big no-no around here, has that changed as well or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#3]
DIY coils are still the best since you can build them exactly how you like them but the premade coils have made leaps and bounds in quality.

Edit: it's been an arfcom rule for a while to not have profanity in thread titles. Saying "fuck" and others in posts are still good. Just not thread titles.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DIY coils are still the best since you can build them exactly how you like them but the premade coils have made leaps and bounds in quality.

Edit: it's been an arfcom rule for a while to not have profanity in thread titles. Saying "fuck" and others in posts are still good. Just not thread titles.
View Quote
Gotcha, thanks.

I went to three stores in my area, told them what I used to use and had them recommend some tanks (with the easier replaceable coils), then spent a bit in my car on my phone watching videos to compare them. I went with a HorizonTech Falcon tank, with a "M1 0.15O mesh coil, with wood pulp + cotton wick". Starting with 3mg which I'll hopefully cut that down in a week or two (before I started with 24mg, even dripping, and it took a while to quench the cravings...but I've been no where near that level of smoking as back then which is good at least).

And you're right, premade coils REALLY have made leaps and bounds. The guys at the store I bought this from have been using this exact tank and he said the coils easily last him 2+ weeks (at least that's what I think he said - we were going over a lot of different models).

These coils say 70w +/- 10w. I never, ever, vaped that high. Is there any detriment if I vape it lower at around 40-50? (I don't like it that hot)

I think my batteries are toast actually (over 40 watts on the Joyetec and I get a battery warning - found my Sigelei 150w and they said the same). Do these die if you don't use them for a while? I saw some Sony 18650 VTC6's on RTD Vapor. I used to use VTC4 and 5's - are they still king or are there better options? Also some Samsung 25r's locally.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gotcha, thanks.

I went to three stores in my area, told them what I used to use and had them recommend some tanks (with the easier replaceable coils), then spent a bit in my car on my phone watching videos to compare them. I went with a HorizonTech Falcon tank, with a "M1 0.15O mesh coil, with wood pulp + cotton wick". Starting with 3mg which I'll hopefully cut that down in a week or two (before I started with 24mg, even dripping, and it took a while to quench the cravings...but I've been no where near that level of smoking as back then which is good at least).

And you're right, premade coils REALLY have made leaps and bounds. The guys at the store I bought this from have been using this exact tank and he said the coils easily last him 2+ weeks (at least that's what I think he said - we were going over a lot of different models).

These coils say 70w +/- 10w. I never, ever, vaped that high. Is there any detriment if I vape it lower at around 40-50? (I don't like it that hot)

I think my batteries are toast actually (over 40 watts on the Joyetec and I get a battery warning - found my Sigelei 150w and they said the same). Do these die if you don't use them for a while? I saw some Sony 18650 VTC6's on RTD Vapor. I used to use VTC4 and 5's - are they still king or are there better options? Also some Samsung 25r's locally.
View Quote
A lot of tanks are running on the higher end of the wattage scale now since powerful mods are plentiful and tanks have gotten way more airflow. Try vaping it at your preferred 40-50 and playing with the airflow to see if you can get it in a spot where you like it. If not, try going around 60-65ish and start with the airflow all the way open and tune from there.

As for batteries, I think long periods of use or leaving them on the charger could decrease battery life. My buddy's VTC4's are absolutely shot after leaving them idle on a charger for a few months.

I've had good luck with Samsung 25R's and LG HE2's (might be HG2's. Can't remember. They're brown).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top